lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-18-2014, 09:27 PM   #1
beachcarter
Gone Wild

Default What belt comes with the Vegas carts clone conversion kit?

I have a clone motor in my 98 Ez Go. The speed has stated to fall off a bit and I'm wondering if the belt may have stretched a bit. I does appear to be a bit loose, alot looser than compared to the fit of the stock belt with the stock motor, but it has always seemed to be loose since day one. My clone motor came as a kit with everything needed to complete the conversion, however the engine cradle is the same one that comes with the jakes big block conversion kit and is not adjustable like the Vegas carts engine cradle. The belt says 1357 on it but don't know who makes it. I'm wondering if I got a new, maybe shorter belt if it would get my speed back. This motor has never given me the performance I was looking for. It does have alot more torque than the stock motor but not any faster. I could get my stock motor to run 27, the clone top speed was 28, but has since dropped to a mac of 25. Unfortunately I don't know anything about tuning carbs and I think that may be the problem. If I could get the carb dialed in I'm sure I could get this thing running in the low 30s, but that doesn't explain why I used to be able to get 28mph out of it but note only get 25 at best.
beachcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-19-2014, 06:16 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: What belt comes with the Vegas carts clone conversion kit?

Your belt could be worn too, what is the current width? Yes, it could be stretched, they all stretch a little, but not much. These belts have nylon cords running through them, like a tire, there's not much stretch there. Once they do their "initial break in", they shouldn't move anymore. I wouldn't think it's a stretch problem. Carb? Yes, if you have changed something on the carb look there. A jet change? Air filter? Any of those can cause a 2 mph drop.

If your belt is loose it will definitely cause a loss in top end speed. So your cradle doesn't offer front to back adjustment? The cradle I use does, so when I set up my engine I use a prybar to inch it forward to get the belt super tight. That makes a big difference in the performance and speed.

As far as the sizes go, send Geoff at Vegas Carts an email with your belt part number. If anything he should be able to tell you the spec on his belts.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:26 PM   #3
geoffw
Gone Wild

Club Car

1357 is right for a Non-Lifted EZGO (1-3/16 x 47.5"), if its a lifted EZGO, youll want a smaller one like a 10977 (1-3/16 x 45")
geoffw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:30 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

There it is! Thanks Geoff You da man!!!!
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:37 PM   #5
beachcarter
Gone Wild

Thanks Geoff. My cart is lifted soi would need the 10977. I will try one of those and report back my performance numbers.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:16 PM   #6
Airbagged
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I own an EZGO with a big block kit, and a 6" lift I run a 1357 belt, please explain why the height of the cart would affect the belt length?
The engine and transmission are both mounted to a assembly which is not affected by the height of the cart.
Airbagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:36 PM   #7
geoffw
Gone Wild

Club Car

The lifted carts bring the starter/gen down into the drop bracket whereas on a stock height cart, the S/G is above the front drop mount..

A lot of people have successfully used 1357s, but in some circumstances, you cant get the belt as tight as you want it because of S/G forward clearance issues.

-Geoff
geoffw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:22 PM   #8
beachcarter
Gone Wild

Then it doesn't sound like this would apply to me as I have no starter generator. I use the clone key start. So I guess the 1357 belt is the correct belt for me?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps