lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-27-2019, 11:52 AM   #11
MoesCart
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: EZGO Robin 3PG Trouble

Thanks for confirming Dabble Inn. Much simpler to add oil than subtract and ditching fuel I can't use isn't easy. I am certainly not out to argue on the subject, just wanted to have something concrete from the manufacturer. I'll roll on a 40:1 as suggested.
MoesCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-06-2019, 01:30 PM   #12
MoesCart
Not Yet Wild

Back again and with new frustrations. Crank seals were wrapped up last night (they were definitely bad), all new gaskets, ring end gap is dialed in, reeds don't let a sliver of light in, and new carburetor installed as well. Mixed the fuel at 40:1 this morning and tried turning it over, it did so without any issue, smoked as I expected and it sounded good. The only problem is that the carb was dumping fuel from the choke needle (without choke being pulled). I took the new carb apart and adjusted the float so it closes the fuel needle when the top of the float is parallel with the carb body. it seems to be happier this way but wouldn't stay running, seems to fire every 10 revolutions or so. Also, in doing all this I noticed another problem. While I was having a friend press the gas pedal, I had my hand on the carburetor and I was being shocked consistently. I have absolutely no idea where that could be coming from or how this started, everything is back in the cart exactly as it was before... I'm at a loss at this point. Any suggestions are appreciated, as always.

I am going to get a new solenoid now. The existing was good as far as I know, I could hear it click when I wired direct to the battery but while trying to remove a nut from it to wire one side right to the negative battery terminal...30 years of corrosion won the battle.

I have some photos of the wiring but am having a hard time finding a place to host them. I've got the two wires coming from the engine going up to the igniter, oddly enough I do not feel the shock when that harness is disconnected. Next are three wires coming from the voltage regulator... red, green, and orange. Red is going up to the solenoid, which then goes on to the pot box switch. Green is going to the alternator, and orange is going to the coil. The other wire coming off of the coil was tied in to the red wire that goes to the solenoid, looks like that was done by the previous owner?

Last edited by MoesCart; 07-06-2019 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: Update
Old 07-06-2019, 03:16 PM   #13
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

If you're getting shocked when the motor is spinning and you touch the carb, the motor is not grounded. There should be a ground strap runjing from the negative battery terminal to the bolt on the bracket where the ignition coil mounts. If this isn't hooked up you'll get zapped touching anything on the motor.

If your strap is bad, I do have a grand new OEM strap the guy replaced on my cart trying to diagnose it. If you're local you can have it. If not you can have it for whatever it costs to ship it to you
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 04:02 PM   #14
MoesCart
Not Yet Wild

Hey thanks CP241, appreciate the offer but unfortunately I am not local, I'm up in MN. Also appreciate the info on where to ground. I was stumped as the battery is grounded to the chassis, I ground down to metal (steel) and made fresh contact, and the engine in attached to the chassis so I suspected that would be sufficient. I will add that ground and continue testing here. Unfortunately now it will not crank at all, think it's possible that I may have toasted the igniter or voltage controller while not grounded properly?

Thanks again
Old 07-06-2019, 05:08 PM   #15
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Mine has a ground strap that branches 2 ways. One goes to the frame. The other goes to the front bolt on the coil bracket.

Make sure the battery is charged :)
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:48 AM   #16
MoesCart
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up Re: EZGO Robin 3PG Trouble

Finally, after weeks of not having time to tinker, the new solenoid is in place. The battery was fully charged and I ensured the ground strap was installed to the coil bracket as described. Luckily, no more issues with being shocked while cranking, the engine turned over and fired up without issue. I dropped from the jack stands and went to take it for a light cruise. The issue now is that the speed is greatly reduced from what it once was. The clutch engages when and as it should, belt is fine....etc. Oddly enough, it seems to hit the same limit each time I press the pedal. I can press the pedal to the floor and it hits its max speed, which is a slight step above a walking pace, let off, get back on and I hit the same limit (the same limit is reached on jack stands).... Not sure what could cause such a thing. I've poked around a bit this weekend to find a similar issue reported elsewhere but haven't had any luck.

Noteworthy(?): I pulled the plug to verify compression again and noticed it's wet...

As always, appreciate the help
Old 07-22-2019, 08:07 AM   #17
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

You can post pictures by clicking on the go advanced box, and then clicking on the paperclip. You can post 5 pictures at a time.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:17 AM   #18
MoesCart
Not Yet Wild

Apologies if this gets messy, not sure how to best describe what is going on here...

The harness coming from the engine in the first photo (red and blue wires) go in to the igniter module. Then out from the igniter and up to the voltage controller. Green, orange, and red are finding their way towards the front of the cart.

Green is then going down to the alternator in the second photo. Red was broken to splice in a chunk of white which goes to the coil, as does orange from the voltage controller. The red then goes on to the solenoid.

The third photo shows green headed down to the alternator, the small gauge black to chassis ground on the solenoid, a black wire with some sort of resistor (possibly fuse?) which supplies power to the hot side of the key switch, power connection directly from the battery, and power going out of the solenoid (heavy gauge black wire).

In photo 4 you'll see the black wire with the resistor (fuse?) supplying power to the key switch, red down below is coming from the pot box and tied to the solenoid, and yellow (which actually becomes black near the key switch) goes from the forward/reverse switch to the switched power side of the key switch (more of that shown in photo 4).

Not shown: there is a wire coming from the other terminal of a switch on the forward/reverse control, it is going in to the pot box. Also, negative and positive battery terminal connections are solid (new).

I know it's a mess, I will rewire everything once I have it setup correctly. Unfortunately I inherited this mess and, it was actually much worse than what you see here. I have removed a huge pile of aftermarket junk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image1.jpg (120.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Image2.jpg (114.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Image3.jpg (97.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Image4.jpg (110.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Image5.jpg (100.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-24-2019, 06:40 PM   #19
MoesCart
Not Yet Wild

Can anyone steer me in the right direction to confirm the wiring I have is setup correctly? I have checked around locally to see if anyone has a similar model so I can review to replicate but have had to luck so far. Looking forward to being able to get this out of the garage under its own power. Thanks!
Old 07-24-2019, 07:10 PM   #20
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

There is a sticky up top with the wiring diagram. It says 3pg hei mod. When I get home in the morning, I will break down every wire for you and tell you what it should be connected to. I don't do a lot of typing on my phone.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO