lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-23-2019, 07:35 PM   #1
RedneckBuckeyeCarting
Not Yet Wild

Default Issue while rebuilding

So during piston / ring / crank seal change I ran into a little problem .... I’m not quite sure why or how it happened but on the base of the cylinder, where the little lip is , there is a crack that has formed . Due to this being actually below the cylinder will this make any form of difference ? Can I just install it as is ??? Can I weld this ??? What material is this ? I am a full time welder btw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RedneckBuckeyeCarting is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-24-2019, 01:56 PM   #2
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Issue while rebuilding

Just my personal opinion;

I've never been a fan of just replacing the piston/rings without at least ball honing the cylinder, and now that you've found a crack in this 40 year old cylinder it's a no brainer. Welding it may warp it, if you reuse it the way it is that crack may lead to a broken piece flying around in there and you're taking the risk of ruining the case. IF that happens the $100 you spent on only half the parts you need will be for nothing, plus you'll have a pile of junk as these cases are no longer available.

I think you should start over and do it right and only once, send the parts back you have and at least buy a complete top end set. I see they're only $188 and you'll get a new cylinder too, well worth an extra $88 right??? But you'll still be relying on 40 year old bearings. It's the ole one thing leads to another rule, how big of risk are you willing to take to save a small amount of money......

I also have an 85, 2 years ago while removing the clutch I noticed the crank had a lot of horizontal play. Surprisingly it ran fine but obviously the main bearings were bad, since I had to do a complete tear down to replace them I chose to buy a complete rebuild kit at a cost of about $320. I did that because it comes with not only a new crank and rod but most importantly a new bottom rod bearing, the only thing I reused is the case and head. Now I should be good for another 40 years (knock on wood), but you'll sleep better at night knowing it's ALL good rather than half-assed

Good Luck
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:11 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Issue while rebuilding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabble Inn View Post
Just my personal opinion;

I've never been a fan of just replacing the piston/rings without at least ball honing the cylinder, and now that you've found a crack in this 40 year old cylinder it's a no brainer. Welding it may warp it, if you reuse it the way it is that crack may lead to a broken piece flying around in there and you're taking the risk of ruining the case. IF that happens the $100 you spent on only half the parts you need will be for nothing, plus you'll have a pile of junk as these cases are no longer available.

I think you should start over and do it right and only once, send the parts back you have and at least buy a complete top end set. I see they're only $188 and you'll get a new cylinder too, well worth an extra $88 right??? But you'll still be relying on 40 year old bearings. It's the ole one thing leads to another rule, how big of risk are you willing to take to save a small amount of money......

I also have an 85, 2 years ago while removing the clutch I noticed the crank had a lot of horizontal play. Surprisingly it ran fine but obviously the main bearings were bad, since I had to do a complete tear down to replace them I chose to buy a complete rebuild kit at a cost of about $320. I did that because it comes with not only a new crank and rod but most importantly a new bottom rod bearing, the only thing I reused is the case and head. Now I should be good for another 40 years (knock on wood), but you'll sleep better at night knowing it's ALL good rather than half-assed

Good Luck

I wouldn't weld that. A new cylinder isn't that much money, just get a new one, drop it in and call it a day.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO