lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-29-2020, 05:06 PM   #1
Bustinbeards
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2004 Jacobsen hauler 1200

New to carts and new to the site. I ran across a deal on a 04 Jacobsen hauler 1200, which I understand is a rebranded e-z-go hauler. It had been left to sit under a tree for about 2 years after the owner passed. He purchased it from the local golf course 5 years ago. The prior owners son said the cart ran weak and wouldn’t pull hills, so I figure it will need a clutch or maybe a belt, the belt measures 1-1/8” so from reading I don’t think the belt is bad. When I got it it did not run, I put the battery on charge and it was a 2018 Still good and took a charge. Neighbor gave me some tires to air up and mount on it, being that the originals were flat and dry rotted. I pressure washed all the mildew and other stuff off it and it has cleaned up pretty well.

It did have broken seat back brackets Which made the roof very wobbly, I got the seat brackets fixed with 8 large stainless fender washers and new lock nuts and that fixed the top issue.

The owners son also said it had the injection pump removed and to run it on mix gas at 50:1, which I think was the problem. It has a Robbins eh352 4 stroke, I drained the tank and took off the carb and cleaned it all up. I Put new nonethanol 89 octane gas in it And she tried to fire, I choked it and it was running and has run well since not missing a beat.

It seems to pull fine and will climb hills I had 5 of us on it around the neighborhood and it did fine, still pulled hills. honestly I am not sure how it is supposed to pull at speed though.

It appears to have a modified governor spring.

The lights and horn don’t work So that is the next problem to troubleshoot and the power bed actuator is Missing but it is wired for one.

So far I have a grand total of 525$ in it if you count the gas. Lol! I want to put a lift on and windshield and get everything fixed and working on it I’ll include a few pics And appreciate any advice!

Bustinbeards is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-29-2020, 06:20 PM   #2
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2004 Jacobsen hauler 1200

A four cycle don't require a mix and never had an injection pump...

and yes same as a ezgo workhorse 1200.

smokin deal..
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:34 PM   #3
Bustinbeards
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I chased the Front and rear light wires on Trying to find out if there is something not connected or grounded. I found that the horn switch is disconnected but the light wires look to be hooked up all the way to the fuse box. All three fuses look fine. I did find that the Brake pedal switch wiring was cut in two. I’m going to splice it back together. How do the how do you check the front light bulbs? Do the lights come out of the cowl or Pop open? How do you replace the bulbs or check them?
Old 07-29-2020, 11:29 PM   #4
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Nice find!

If it is the same as mine, then the headlamps are held in by two screws behind the cowl. fiddly to get at but easy enough. Those lamps were renowned for popping the bulbs though, and almost impossible to find replacements in the UK. If i recall correctly, the lamp is the bulb, so you have to replace the whole thing. Maybe Stovebolt will have an idea if you can still get them.The lamps were used by loads of different manufacturers so probably still around somewhere. To test the bulbs, remove the lamps and connect direct to the battery. these carts are also renowned for corroded electric terminals, so check everywhere for this. If your cart is standard, the lights would be on a second position on the ignition switch but are independent from the ignition circuit. one side of the switch will have i believe, two blue wires and these are for the light circuit. You should have permanent live on one and the other will feed the lamps. So start here and see if you have power at the switch. Ignore the other two wires for now as the ignition obviously works. If you have power for the lights at the switch, start following power from there. If no power at the switch, check the supply first. These ignition switches are also known to have issues and fail easily. particularly on the lighting side as those old style lamps draw a fair bit of current, and over time burn that side of the switch out. If you find it is the switch that is faulty, just wire in a toggle switch on the dash somewhere instead!.
That should give you a start and then you can come back and tell us what you have found so far. You should be able to find a wiring diagram in the tech section to suit your machine, probably one of the TXT cart diagram will suffice as they are all pretty much the same. As you say, under the badges it is an EZGO. Its odd though as the Jacobsen branded ones were usualy orange, not green.

I may not respond again straight away as i dont come here all the time these day, so Stovebolt and a few others will get you sorted if i dont.

Good luck

Colin

EDIT.
Just want to add that the fuse board may me a good place to look for corrosion on the back. remove it and take a look. I used to replace these with good waterproof aftermarket fuse boards from an auto parts store.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:41 AM   #5
Bustinbeards
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I appreciate the replies. Thanks for the information on the lights. I was able to find the wiring diagram in service and parts manual in the tech section. I got under the cart and found a few problems. This is the power wires that come from the pedal switch it was severed on the pedal and at the connector, the wire is also corroded.
This is where the pedal switch wiring zip tied to the brake pedal was cut.

I believe these are the wires for the horn which has been removed.

I was thinking about putting a lift on it, any suggestions as to what type?
Old 07-30-2020, 08:39 AM   #6
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

This model was also supplied by EZGO as a lifted cart and badged as an ST350 with the bigger twin cylinder robin engine. It was done with an axle arched down at the ends and spindles with raised steering arms. I can't remember exactly how the rear was done on those, but I know it was done by fitting the axle below the springs. Maybe Stovebolts is an ST and cam remind me. That's an ST350 in my avatar but sadly no longer with me so can't go look for you. Kits for this type of lift should be available but I don't think you can use one for a txt as the rear axles differ. I'm in the UK, so do not really know what's available over you neck of the woods. Someone will be along to advise I'm sure.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 05:35 PM   #7
Bustinbeards
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well I got the lights all working from the key switch today. I used a multi meter started at the key switch and back tracked till I got to the hot wire on the fuse box, thats where I got power. I made a jumper and bypassed the fuse block and the lights worked when I flipped the key all the way over. I had an in-line fuse here so I wired it in, I’m going to replace the fuse block being that I am going to replace the dump bed actuator. I probably won’t even mess with replacing the horn right now.

All the rear bushings on the leaf springs are shot and also on the bed. Also I need to replace them.

I ordered some 1000D dwr coated cordura in coyote tan, it’s really durable and waterproof and cost 24$ For enough to recover all the seat, I’ll update how it turns out.

So far it is really coming together and still have spent about 550$ total on this cart.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:15 PM   #8
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

You need three sets of spring bushing. They normally come 8 to a box. The same bushing fits your dump bed.

Your oil light work ?
If it were me I would fix that governor spring. There is a bushing that goes in there. Looks like yours is missing. Number 40 on the picture I included I do think

Keep us updated. I would like to see your seats when you get them covered. Good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cable bushing .jpg (159.3 KB, 0 views)
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:25 PM   #9
Bustinbeards
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I appreciate the info on the bushings.

It doesn’t have an oil light. Why do you ask, do you see something wrong?

Is that the only thing going on with the governor, just a missing bushing? It appears not OEM, What is the extra spring on top doing?

I will update on the seats later this week!
Old 07-31-2020, 08:37 PM   #10
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustinbeards View Post
I appreciate the info on the bushings.

It doesn’t have an oil light. Why do you ask, do you see something wrong?

Is that the only thing going on with the governor, just a missing bushing? It appears not OEM, What is the extra spring on top doing?

I will update on the seats later this week!
Always nice to know for sure you got oil pressure. Most of the workhorse carts had them. These MCI engines have a crazy oiling system and if by chance you lost oil pressure for only a few seconds you could trash the head. Ask CP241
Look good at the picture I uploaded. Someone put that extra spring on it because the bushing is missing .

I had one with that bushing worn out and pulled through. Its made of plastic and they do break. Same thing was done to mine. When you left off the gas pedal it wouldn't come all the way off. You need to get it just like the one in picture. Google that part number 40 in the picture. 72706G01
I would get that part and remove that spring someone added.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO