lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-29-2020, 11:30 PM   #1
Ccallender74
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Ezgo Marathon engine swap

Hi guys,
I have a 1990 ezgo gas Marathon with a Robin 244cc 3pg motor in it. I was riding my buggy around offroading on atv trails and such and my cart got loud which the exhaust had riddled loose and for some stupid reason I kept running it without fixing the exhaust and it lost power and shut down on me like it blew up and went start. I since then found a person who has a 1982 and 1986 ezgo gas golfcart. The guy says that he never mixed up oil and gas for them and ran straight gas in then. The engine sticker said they both are Robin 244cc engines. Is it possible that they are 4 stroke motors instead of 2 stroke? Keep in mind that the guy never changed the motors and took care of them. Would it be possible to swap engines in my cart with the engine out of one his carts without having to swap out the whole rear cradle and rear end?
Ccallender74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-29-2020, 11:44 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo Marathon engine swap

They are not interchangeable. The clutches ride in different directions.

His are 2 strokes, but have oil injection units. That's why he doesn't mix oil and gas.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:58 PM   #3
Ccallender74
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So I cant just switch the motors and mount his 2pg engine the same way my 3pg engine is mounted? What about switching the whole rear cradle and rear ends out? And when I looked at his carts there was no evidence that they are oil injected. No oil reservoir.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:02 AM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Then you should walk away from those engines because they are definitely 2 strokes that need oil.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:17 AM   #5
Ccallender74
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Are the suspension parts and front ends the same as my 90 cart? His carts run and run good he used them everyday and only getting rid of them because he got newer club cars. I used to drive his carts around when I was a kid. trying to figure out if I'm better off using his carts to fix mine or use mine to fix up his. so again I'm asking, can I switch out the whole rear cradle and rear end to fix my cart? Other than having to modify the wiring would I have to do any other modifications to make a good running cart between his cart and mine?
Old 07-30-2020, 08:51 AM   #6
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

The older carts have rear coil springs. I don't know what yours has.

My brother has an 83. He was going to use the front leaf springs from a 90. His springs were shorter. I don't remember what we did. He may have bought one.

Maybe you should look at your engine to decide exactly what is wrong with it. It's a better engine.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:09 AM   #7
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

I never question anything 'Cart Around' says as he is my hero and an expert, at first I agreed with everything here he said. But after thinking (double/triple and perhaps overthinking lol) it I'm wondering why a 2pg couldn't be mounted in a 3pg buggy? And/or visa-versa? Do they have different engine mount bolt patterns? Or perhaps the cranks are different length so the clutches wouldn't line up correctly? Just wondering ......

It really doesn't matter in this case anyway cuz if those 2pgs have been ran without oil they're toast, but I'm having a problem believing that. He's got to be either mixing or there truly is an oil injection system, they wouldn't make it 5 minutes
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 04:14 PM   #8
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Anything can be done if he has talent, time, and cash.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:57 AM   #9
Ccallender74
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Talent and determination I do have. I decided to buy the 82 Marathon and found out he did mix his gas for both carts I checked the motors and they seem to be ok. I have to rebuild the wiring system and find the parts that are missing for it and put it back together and see how and or if it will run. As I compared how the two engines are bolted in each car and noticed that they just might match up with the mounts with rotation to the upward position of the 3pg engine just gonna have to make some intake mods to make it work. Would you guys happen to know if the carburetors are the same and if not what is different in them
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO