lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2009, 06:08 PM   #1
ohwhofarted
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Hot wires and burnt terminals 97 txt

OK, first, I'm new to carts so please do your best to keep that in mind when calling me stupid and dumb @$$ behind your keyboard... i very well may cry big crocodile tears, thanks!

I've had my 97 TXT 36v electric for a few months and have lifted it and added 22" A/T tires, changed the key switch light switch. other than that, i've done nothing but try to keep up with the cleaning.

I've done a little research and can't seem to find any answers anywhere. I'll post a quick paint image to help explain myself...

My wife and I and my two children took a drive to the end of the beach. only about 1/2 of a mile of beach and 3/4 mile total distance driven. Once we got to where we were going to play in the sand, I smelled something burning. I lifted the seat and found a small puff of smoke coming from under the forward/reverse selector switch shroud. I removed the shroud and saw that the wire (shown in the image) was pretty badly corroded. I know this needs to be changed... However, we also found that the positive wire from the last battery to the motor(?) was hotter than 40 #*%^s. Now... I'll call them battery banks... the wire connecting the front back row positive terminal to the front row negative terminal says "6 SAE Guage". I'm going out on a limb supposing that this is #6 wire. BUT the rest of the battery wires are much smaller, maybe #8... But they may be #6 with a thinner insulation jacket... I have no performance enhancing parts other than a bolt on lift kit and 22" tires that rub on my front leaf springs. (but that's another problem all together) There's the normal corrosion on the battery terminals and such but the F/R selector switch looks like it's been getting hot for a while. I'm NOT driving it anymore until I get it fixed.

got a clue? can you share?

-KF
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buggy.jpg (32.4 KB, 12 views)
ohwhofarted is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-12-2009, 06:21 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Hot wires and burnt terminals 97 txt

Welcome, Oh who FARTED!?

Likely all your cables are the same #6 was stock. Old cables corrode on the inside and swell up looking bigger than they are. You need cables bad and sounds like you need a rebuild of or a new F&R.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
ohwhofarted
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Basically what I figured. I think I can clean up the F/R pretty good... Just worried that there's an underlying problem that is causing the positive wire to heat up like that. Maybe?
Old 07-12-2009, 07:13 PM   #4
ohwhofarted
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Welcome, Oh who FARTED!?

Likely all your cables are the same #6 was stock. Old cables corrode on the inside and swell up looking bigger than they are. You need cables bad and sounds like you need a rebuild of or a new F&R.
Nope.... this cable is not swollen. Actually it's newer than the others. I deal in generators at work. maybe I'll see if I can get some #4 for replacing it all.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:16 AM   #5
ohwhofarted
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

OK, help me out... I have, at my disposal, Seoprene 105 2-4 SEOW-A wire. It is made for generators. Here is the specs:

Cable type SEOW-A Seoprene 105 I think it is #4... Will this work?
Old 07-13-2009, 08:51 AM   #6
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

If you are going to the trouble of replacing the wires, use 4g Welding Cable with a 400+ strand count and correct copper lugs. Replace each and every cable, one at a time. And, take a close inspection of the F/R assembly. If it shows heat signs, replace it with a HD unit. You have a solid cart that will surprise you with it's upgrade path.....
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:25 AM   #7
ohwhofarted
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
If you are going to the trouble of replacing the wires, use 4g Welding Cable with a 400+ strand count and correct copper lugs. Replace each and every cable, one at a time. And, take a close inspection of the F/R assembly. If it shows heat signs, replace it with a HD unit. You have a solid cart that will surprise you with it's upgrade path.....
welding cable? I'll check it out. I was just going to use 4g auto cable...

HD F/R... where can I find one?

I don't see a tow switch so I think my cart is a DCS. But When I bought it, I didn't look too closely and am now finding that it is a frankenstein buggy... and it is making me cry.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:47 AM   #8
ohwhofarted
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

ugh... OK with the welding wire... I have 4/0 and 1/0 the 4/0 is effin HUGE!
Old 07-13-2009, 11:48 AM   #9
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Standard from the factory is 6g. You want to bump that up one notch to 4g. The next level of thickness would be 2g. 1/0 and 4/0 are HUGE!

HD F/R assemblies should be available from the sponsors on the sponsors page.^^^^^
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:13 PM   #10
dougmcp
Gone Wild

SEOW is just a classification for thermoplastic covered, 600v, 105C temp, oil resistant, water submersible, weather approved.
Bottom line, if it is 4ga it will work fine.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO