lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-14-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
fedo
Not Yet Wild

Default marathon key doesn't work

I have an 91 marathon and it runs fine, but the key doesn't turn it off or on. It goes when ever the pedal is pushed. Any idea if this kills run time or how to fix it? Thanks, Fedo
fedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-14-2009, 04:44 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: marathon key doesn't work

It should not effect run time .... the key switch needs to wired back into the start up system .... How and where would depend upon how it was modified to begin with? There is a wiring diagram for your cart at the top of this section in the Stickies
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:45 PM   #3
fedo
Not Yet Wild

All the wires are hooked up correctly. I have tried another ignition but no difference. I have an EMP 2 speed motor (new) that in speed mode is sometimes fast and other times not. The charge level doesn't effect it. Could these issues be caused by the micro swicth on the F/R switch?
Old 07-14-2009, 07:10 PM   #4
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedo View Post
All the wires are hooked up correctly.
This cannot be. If the key switch has no effect on the cart, then the wiring is suspect. If the switch had simply failed, the cart would not run. Try removing one of the wires on the keyswitch and test the cart.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:18 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedo View Post
All the wires are hooked up correctly. I have tried another ignition but no difference. I have an EMP 2 speed motor (new) that in speed mode is sometimes fast and other times not. The charge level doesn't effect it. Could these issues be caused by the micro swicth on the F/R switch?
Then the answer is obvious ... The key switch is welded closed Replace it with a good one ....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:13 PM   #6
fedo
Not Yet Wild

Well i'm not going to make it easy that's for sure. I have taken the ignition out of the equation and the cart will still run.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:34 PM   #7
Fleck
Gone Crazy

E-Z-GO

The cart has something wired wrong. Time to get a schematic for your cart (should be available in the above Stickies) And trace the wires out and see what was "Jumped". Just my $.02. Good luck
Fleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:21 PM   #8
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

91 model. Does it have the wiper arm for the speed controll. It's got all the wires hooked to it with the one that moves with the gas pedal. If so look at the micro switch on top of the arm. Make sure it's working. Make sure when at rest the arm makes contact with the micro switch and shuts it off.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:47 PM   #9
fedo
Not Yet Wild

It is a controller cart and I will go through all the wiring again tomorow when I get home from the FD.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:05 PM   #10
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Key switch is bad. On a Ezgo the key switch only turns power on to the controller. Take the little spade connector off the controller that is marked #1 and put your meter to it Check conuity from key switch.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO