lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-17-2009, 11:11 AM   #11
fedo
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: marathon key doesn't work

Apparently i'm not to electrically inclined. I put my meter on the Greek continuity sign but don't get a ready ...so not sorry if i was checking the right terminal or i'm just slow. I took the connector off the white wire from thepott box to the controller and then tried the blue wire from the microswitch on the pott box to the key and got nothing. i did have the wires from the F/R microswitch reversed. The blue one goes to the key and the red on goes to the microswitch on the pott box. Andy can you give the slow guy the correct way to check the continuity.
fedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-17-2009, 06:21 PM   #12
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

With the key switch out of the body or where you can get to both terminals put your meter on the setting that beeps when the leads are touched together. Then with black probe on one side of switch and red on other turn cart on/off to see if it makes contact. It shouldn't beep until the switch is turn on if it beeps all the time switch is bad.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:42 PM   #13
Fleck
Gone Crazy

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
With the key switch out of the body or where you can get to both terminals put your meter on the setting that beeps when the leads are touched together. Then with black probe on one side of switch and red on other turn cart on/off to see if it makes contact. It shouldn't beep until the switch is turn on if it beeps all the time switch is bad.
Thanks Andy, I learn something new everyday on this site.
Fleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:08 PM   #14
fedo
Not Yet Wild

And the saga continues. I checked the key and it has good contunity. I even tried another toggle switch i had with the same results, the cart moves whenever the pedal is pushed. I have checked the wiring 4-5 times. Any ideas?
Old 07-19-2009, 01:38 PM   #15
roady89
nimda
Club Car

If you have made sure the keyswitch or solenoid is not the problem the ONLY thing it can be is the cart is not wired correctly. Do you have a volt meter?

If those 2 things are in working order the solenoid is getting an activation signal from something which is mis-wired or shorted. Some will disconnect 1 of the 2 small wires on the solenoid, if it still moves then the solenoid is welded shut. If not, then somewhere the solenoid is getting power to the activation coil.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:25 PM   #16
fedo
Not Yet Wild

The solenoid i am not sure of. How do you test it. I did have a wire hit and arc one side of it. The key switch i check the continuity and according to what i read it is good. I do have a multimeter, but don't know how to use all aspects. I really do appreciate all the help you guys are giving, i'm sure it sounds like your dealing with a knucklehead.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:06 PM   #17
Fleck
Gone Crazy

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
If you have made sure the keyswitch or solenoid is not the problem the ONLY thing it can be is the cart is not wired correctly. Do you have a volt meter?

If those 2 things are in working order the solenoid is getting an activation signal from something which is mis-wired or shorted. Some will disconnect 1 of the 2 small wires on the solenoid, if it still moves then the solenoid is welded shut. If not, then somewhere the solenoid is getting power to the activation coil.
Roady gave you one way of ckecking the soleniod. Did you try that?
Fleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:24 PM   #18
fedo
Not Yet Wild

I removed one of the wires from the smaller poles and it did not move. But in order for the solenoid to open the resistor that goes between the bigger poles has to touch one of the little poles. I tested both of the resistors on the solenoid and that have continuity. Could the solenoid still be the issue?
Old 07-22-2009, 10:17 PM   #19
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

The selonoid has a diode on the 2 small terminals and a resister between the 2 bigger terminals. The resister shouldn't have anything to do with the smaller ones at all.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:37 AM   #20
fedo
Not Yet Wild

If the diode went bad or shorted out would that cause the cart not to go?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO