lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-02-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
cdressel
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Rear Axle (Area) Noise Under Power

I'm trying to help a friend diagnose what may be wrong with his 1997 Club Car. Cart is stock and seems to run great.

However, under power (foot on the accelerator) there is a "rattling" - "bearing going bad" type sound coming from the area of the rear axle/motor. I can't tell for sure but it seems like it's coming from the center of the axle itself. The sound only occurs under power. It goes away when coasting. Doesn't seem to matter whether the cart is going straight or turning.

Somewhere here, I seem to remember reading something about a sleeve or bushing needing to be replaced when installing a new motor (or, maybe I'm just dreaming). If this is true, would this be the most likely cause of the noise?

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

Chuck
cdressel is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-02-2010, 12:20 PM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Rear Axle (Area) Noise Under Power

On 1997 CC the sound could very well be the GUIDE RING #101789101 and new RETAINER RING ( often damaged when removed ) #101822801 and GUIDE RING ADHESIVE #101813202. This aligns the motor shaft to input shaft on differential ( acts as bearing spline support ) and if worn or missing can make rattle sound. I always replace these parts when pulling motor for any reason to avoid this kind of problems and another motor pulling.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #3
cdressel
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks much for your input. Really appreciate the help.

I guess it's time to buy some parts, jack the thing up and get to work.

Chuck
Old 11-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #4
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you want to dubble check where sound is coming from do following--
Jack rear of cart and support under axle outer housing with car jack stands, block front wheels straight ahead and solid so there can be no motion in either direction. Have some one operate cart at slowest steady speed possible ( so not to over rev motor as with out load on ground motor can and will explode with too high RPM's ) and taking a yard stick or long wood dowel placed against your ear area look for location of loudest sound.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:55 PM   #5
easydoesit
Gone Wild

Club Car

here's a diagram that may help.

http://www.golfcartpartsdirect.com/e...tshow/115.html
easydoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:19 PM   #6
cdressel
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the diagram.

Although I consider myself a competent mechanic, I'm relatively new at golf carts. And, yes, I have a couple of more questions . . .

1. Once the motor is unbolted, can I assume the motor assembly will come off without pulling the armature and commutator out of the motor housing? Or, do I have to be very careful to not pull the guts out of the motor?

and 2. What the heck is Guide Ring Adhesive? The drawing makes the guide ring look sort of like a needle bearing and I would expect bearing grease to be used.

By the way, I haven't had time to jack the cart up and listen to where the loudest vibration/rattling is coming from yet. Next thing on my list . . .

Thanks again for the help.
Chuck
Old 11-03-2010, 10:09 AM   #7
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

To answer your questions
#1-Unless the armature shaft is stuck to the differential input shaft it should come out as unit ( armature, fields and housing ) If its not been off in awhile you must be ready for some heavy prying?
#2-On 1997-1999 models ONLY used adhesive on the guide ring in place, ( for a period of time in the late 1990's early 2000's adhesive was not available and seemed to work fine wihout its use ) even though its held in by a retainer ring. I have seen through the years various types of guide rings A-hard bakalight type material, B-softer plastic semi flexible material. It is not shown as needed but I always add a ( very small amount ) of moly teflon grease AFTER ALLOWING adhesive to set over night? My consern is that grease might keep adhesive from holding? On later models they did away with adhesive, retaining ring and added moly teflon CC #102243403 in small tube with correct amount, but I felt that it was TOO MUCH for 1997-1999 models? This is just my opinion?
ADDED INFO--When working with motors be sure and support cart by ( frame ) to allow differential to hang lower and easier to get at? I remove rear wheels to give more room to work. If lucky you may have a panel that can be removed to allow access to motor from above. You are looking at about 30-40 lbs motor weight? Be sure to use good solid supports ( lost a friend when cart slipped on supports) and block cart from being able to move in any direction as with batterys you are looking at almost 1000 lbs. The weight along with pulling and prying can cause movement of cart so be careful.
MAJOR WARNING USE TWO ( 2 ) WRENCHES WHEN REMOVING WIRING ON MOTOR TO KEEP FROM TURNING STUDS AND BREAKING WIRING INSIDE.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:58 PM   #8
cdressel
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the warnings and suggestions, esp. about safety. I'll be tackling this next week and will try to heed your warnings.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks again.

Chuck
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car