lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-22-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
delagem
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default What to do? Registration dilemma?

I can't register my cart ('99 Carryall) for street use in NY. Simply can't be done. I use it almost exclusively on the streets in my town, but my luck will run out soon, and I'm going to get ticketed. So I'm weighing my options...

1. Sell my cart, and buy a LSV (Tomberlin, Eve, etc). Probably lose $3,000 on the deal. (sell cart for $2,000, buy LSV for $5,000)

plus-easy
Minus-I like my current cart! I also like the Carryall LSV's, but those things are crazy expensive. I'm proud of the fact that the Club Cars are the best built carts made!

2. Drive down to FL in my truck, spend a week getting my cart inspected, titled, registered.

plus-I like FL, and I'm going to be unemployed over the winter anyways
minus-wasting a week, cost (maybe $2,000), and even when it's done, I'm not absolutely sure I can transfer the FL registration back to NY

3. Find someone in FL who wants to make $500, "sell" my cart to them, they get it registered, and then "sell" and ship it back to me. I pay them $500, plus all expenses.
Plus-easy
Minus-expensive, maybe $2,000 again....

Does anyone see any way that doesn't cost thousands of $$$?

Ugh.
delagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-22-2011, 09:14 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: What to do? Registration dilemma?

i can,t help you but do you think even if your cart is legal in FL that NY still isn,t gonna give you a hassle?? i can see it already even thoughj you have it registered NY just handing you ticket after ticket............or do you know someone else who is doing it this way now?............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:23 PM   #3
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

I agree with shadowman, those plates won't fly in NY. Federal law states that LSV and NEV status MUST be reciprocal between states, but does not support the same for golf carts.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:24 PM   #4
delagem
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well, sorta....

On the one hand, once my cart has been registered as an "assembled from parts" ASPT vehicle in FL, I'm pretty sure NY will allow the title/registration to be transferred. But not 100% sure!

On the other hand, I have a few electric mopeds, a Yamaha Metis and a Tanjuie Cool Boy, that I brought back from a 2 year stint in China. They have Chinese license plates on them, and yet my local police are ok with this.... So a set of legitimate FL plates would probably be ok in my town at least?

Old 09-22-2011, 09:38 PM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i think your gonna run into trouble in NY when they ask you for a VIN# which i don,t think FL requires ( i could be wrong ).......as for the bikes all i can say is if i,m a cop and i see the moped i,m gonna let it go but if io see a golfcart i,m gonna throw the lights on and pull you over...................just my opinion now but i do beleive the cops are gonna play it safe and let the courts work it out............problem is all the time and money its gonna cost you in the meantime.............................
Old 09-22-2011, 09:42 PM   #6
delagem
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
problem is all the time and money its gonna cost you in the meantime.............................
Agreed. It would totally suck to go thru all that and then STILL not be able to drive it legally...

FL does indeed issue a "VIN", but it's not a normal VIN, it's only 7 digits long, as I recall. Scubabud's thread gave an example of "FL 12345"

Once again, I don't know how a title like that would go over in NY.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:14 PM   #7
KARTMANX
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I could be wrong but I was under the impression that once a golf cart has been registered as a LSV or NEV and givin a new VIN# it is nolonger classified as a golf cart.
KARTMANX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:11 AM   #8
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARTMANX View Post
I could be wrong but I was under the impression that once a golf cart has been registered as a LSV or NEV and givin a new VIN# it is nolonger classified as a golf cart.

i have no clue and you could be right, i,m just looking at the side of the law where your gonna have a lot of NY officials telling you its a grey area for them but in the meantime its still costing you time and money....this could end up being a real hassle.....i,ll bet if you look deeper you,ll see in the states that allow golfcarts it may be on local levels...........all the boroughs or townships with their own laws that all get pooled togather somehow.......i understand just what he wants to do but seeing it hasn,t been done yet....well i can just see the one sided nightmare he might have getting it all worked out................................
Old 09-23-2011, 07:33 AM   #9
caokgafamily
Gone Wild

Club Car

You gotta love the goverment...
caokgafamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:59 AM   #10
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by caokgafamily View Post
You gotta love the goverment...

man you can say that again..................................
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car