lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-21-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
Joely
Not Yet Wild

Default noobie aking direction 85 CC rehab

Hello Cart-rodders. I just bought an old Club Car, 36 volt system. Condition: I left it charging all night and it moved 6 inches... batteries are dead and gone. I've learned that asking direction before I shove off can save me many unneccessary miles, so I want to ask you:

Before I go out and buy 6 new batteries, would one of you please give me basic description of what's involved in a 48V conversion? Is that a reasonable upgrade? I am not a speed freak, but speed is nice : )

I bought this CC to give my son a project, so upgrades and rehab is desired, but I don't want to get into goofy $$$ expenditures. Could someone please give me a few ideas of what I might want to consider.

As I cleaned out the battery compartment, it occured to me that I might switch the headlights and tail lights to LED, or maybe increase wheel size to get a bit more speed... I'm browsing the forum here, and apprecaite all tips and creative ideas I can get! Thanks -joley-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cart project.jpg (81.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Rt-side-bat-box.jpg (83.2 KB, 10 views)
Joely is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-21-2011, 05:09 PM   #2
Joely
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: noobie aSking direction 85 CC rehab

'scoose my noobie spelling, please !
Old 11-21-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
rmarcusy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: noobie aking direction 85 CC rehab

Welcome to the BGW site,
Go to the Club Car Elect forum and read the "Stickys" at the top, then read thru the other posts, there are hundreds of them. this will bring you up to speed. Then if you DO ask/post a question, always have your year, make, model in the question. The people here are VERY helpful and frendly, (altho they joke around and will jerk you chain if you ask a dumb question that is already in the "Stickys)
Finding others in your area that are into golf cars can help a LOT, we trade and help each other.
rmarcusy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:18 PM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

talk to scottyb about your upgrades he can tell you what you need and cost involved...........and you can trust him............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:25 PM   #5
Joely
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Rmarcusy and Shadowman - I'm trying to read through all the "stickies" as recommended - many seem directed to gas carts... I'm plowing thru and will redirect a more focused request for guidance - maybe straight to ScottyB (I'll try searching for his posts first). lack of knowledge is great sometimes - I love learning, but don't wanna burn other guys' time... I'm just wondering if my first steps ought to be: buy new batts and see how it runs, or start buying parts for upgrade... I'll keep reading and ask more later. THX !
Old 11-21-2011, 06:32 PM   #6
rmarcusy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I have taken car batteries and put them in golf cars , just to do some testing.

Last edited by rmarcusy; 11-21-2011 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: misspelled testing
Old 11-21-2011, 07:18 PM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

well if the batteries are bad yes regardless your gonna need a set but the question will be either 6 or 8 volt.................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:27 PM   #8
rmarcusy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

using car batteries to test might make the choice easier,,, if the controller, switches, solenoids, etc are bad then making the conversion to 48 volts would be an easy choice,,, if they all test good then you will have to study more and decide to stay 36 or go 48
Old 11-21-2011, 07:40 PM   #9
Joely
Not Yet Wild

So that seems like a good first step (use car batts to assess other components). have you done it? I'm thinking car batts are higher discharge rate and if I wire 3 for 36V, I wonder if the amperage fry regulators, etc in the CC ?
Old 11-21-2011, 07:55 PM   #10
rmarcusy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I've never had a problem with it,,, the controler will limit the amps

Tags
36v vs 48v, 85 club car
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car