lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-28-2012, 08:35 AM   #1
Meat Man
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Digital Meter Switch ?

Installed a Digital Meter and since my wife does not drive her cart on a regular basis I want to know if it's okay to put a single pole toggle switch in-line on the positive side to switch it on and off ? I'm pretty much understand regular DC voltage wiring but I know from reading on this forum that there are some no-nos when it comes to cart wiring . Down the road (don't know how long a road it will turn out to be) I plan to put a switch in the dash to be able to switch between the battery pack and an aux. battery I'll be adding to check voltages. Can this be a sigle pole as well? Thanks .
Meat Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-28-2012, 08:41 AM   #2
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Digital Meter Switch ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Man View Post
Installed a Digital Meter and since my wife does not drive her cart on a regular basis I want to know if it's okay to put a single pole toggle switch in-line on the positive side to switch it on and off ? I'm pretty much understand regular DC voltage wiring but I know from reading on this forum that there are some no-nos when it comes to cart wiring . Down the road (don't know how long a road it will turn out to be) I plan to put a switch in the dash to be able to switch between the battery pack and an aux. battery I'll be adding to check voltages. Can this be a sigle pole as well? Thanks .
Aren't you able to get the 48v off your key switch which will toggle it on and off?
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

And as for switching the meter on and off just use the key switch for one side of the meter then the meter goes on and off with the key.

Or you can install a dual pole dual throw (DPDT) switch to check the auxiliary battery. Since it has a mandatory momentary off in the center position you can install it now as an on/off switch and connect the auxiliary battery to it later. See CU diagram below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg digital-meter-DPDT-instruction-web.jpg (104.9 KB, 37 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:39 PM   #4
Meat Man
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by erict View Post
Aren't you able to get the 48v off your key switch which will toggle it on and off?
Seems as though I read on here that it's best to wire straight from battery pack , so that's what I did . It would have be much easier to wire into switch but I can still use the wires I ran from the batterie pack to meter for meter to aux. battery when I get to that point .
Old 01-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
Meat Man
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
And as for switching the meter on and off just use the key switch for one side of the meter then the meter goes on and off with the key.

Or you can install a dual pole dual throw (DPDT) switch to check the auxiliary battery. Since it has a mandatory momentary off in the center position you can install it now as an on/off switch and connect the auxiliary battery to it later. See CU diagram below.
On your first comment , see my previous ( last ) post .
On your second , I notice now and in some of your previous posts that you specify a " Dual Pole - Double Throw " switch and that's why I asked the question . I understand the function of the Double Throw switch which will switch the meter from battery pack to aux. battery with off being in the middle , but the Dual Pole part is what throws me . Using double pole tells me I have to include the ground (-) in the switch . I can't see where that's neccessary as long as I have a true ground from the battery pack and/or key switch going to the device , in this case the meter . It seems to me that as long as my ground is true that I can just switch the positive (+) side . If I'm missing something it surely is not the first time and certainly won't be the last - unfortunately .
Old 01-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #6
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

DPDT switch is necessary in this application because of the two different reference voltages being measured. The 48v cart circuits ground back to the whole pack, while the 12v circuits all need to ground back to the aux battery reference. The two differing voltages CANNOT SHARE the same ground. This is the same reason we always tell folks NEVER use a frame ground on a sparky cart.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
Meat Man
Getting Wild

Club Car

O.K. ! That's what I was missing , or should I say I did not know . Makes perfectly good sense ! Thank you so much .
So , for my temporay situation , I'll put a SPST Switch under the seat to turn off meter when not in use . I'd rather wait and do the dash install of the DPDT switch for the meter when I add other switches and who knows what for other anticipated accessaries . I need to come up with some LED lights to put on the dash for something (don't know what yet) because my wife likes "BLING" and I like lights !
Old 01-28-2012, 09:51 PM   #8
ForBruce
Mr. Helper

Club Car

since you have floating grounds ( negative ) on the cart..........

I suggest that you fuse both the positive and negative connections of the battery you are wiring your meter to.

The fuses should be no more than 6" off the battery terminals. (for safety )

A 1 amp in line fuse on each lead will suffice..... same goes when you deceide to add the 48 volts supply later
ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:34 AM   #9
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

I have a much simpler solution with no switch needed.

Since they really don't take any amps away from your pack or aux battery...

Just buy two Meters and leave them on. I'm serious... walk by the cart and know your battery conditions at a glance. Watch what's happening for both your pack and aux battery while driving as well.

They are the best investment you can have
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:55 AM   #10
Meat Man
Getting Wild

Club Car

Excellent idea ! I'll PM my address so you can send me the $'s or you can just go ahead and call Scotty and have him sent it to me! I will not mind having to cut another hole for it! Thanks!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car