lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-22-2014, 11:57 AM   #1
cfstokes55
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default replaced controller still no go.

I have a 2002 ezgo pds txt and after hours of trying to trace down the problem I cam to conclusion that it had to be the controller after reading post that I found on here. well I went and bought a controller and now it is still doing the same thing. and yes I had the positive batter undone and the tow run switch on tow when I installed the controller. now I am stuck and have no clue where to go from here.

now when the pedal is pressed there is absolutely nothing going on. no click from solenoid and no go from cart. I have tried to jump the green and red wire from the pedal box to make the solenoid come on and that did not help either. now with that being said I left the two jumed while I took voltage reading and the solenoid clicked then dropped back out. and would do this a couple of time till nothing again. I have replaced the tow run switch everything. I also have voltage aross all the top set of wire except for the orange wire witch is the reverse wire. I have no clue where to go from here. any and all help would be great.
cfstokes55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: replaced controller still no go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfstokes55 View Post
I have a 2002 ezgo pds txt and after hours of trying to trace down the problem I cam to conclusion that it had to be the controller after reading post that I found on here. well I went and bought a controller and now it is still doing the same thing. and yes I had the positive batter undone and the tow run switch on tow when I installed the controller. now I am stuck and have no clue where to go from here.

now when the pedal is pressed there is absolutely nothing going on. no click from solenoid and no go from cart. I have tried to jump the green and red wire from the pedal box to make the solenoid come on and that did not help either. now with that being said I left the two jumed while I took voltage reading and the solenoid clicked then dropped back out. and would do this a couple of time till nothing again. I have replaced the tow run switch everything. I also have voltage aross all the top set of wire except for the orange wire witch is the reverse wire. I have no clue where to go from here. any and all help would be great.
You were making the voltage reading while J1 was plugged into the controller, so I suspect you have bad connection or connections between the J1 plug on the wiring harness and the J1 receptacle on the controller.

Spray cleaner might work, but you'll probably have to use a toothpick if they are badly corroded.

Check/Clean the other plugs while you are at it.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:51 PM   #3
cfstokes55
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

thanks johnnie I thought the same thing so I did clean them and try again. one more thing I forgot to mention is that the j1 4,5 pin have positive voltage on the and all the rest of negative voltage on them. not sure how that can happen.

tested by taking the red end on the volt meter and pushing in the back on the plugs with the black end on the last battery in the pack ( negative ) then when i only got two readings i put the black end to the back of the plugs and the red to the start of the pack (positive.)
Old 10-22-2014, 01:40 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Sounds like you are using an analog voltmeter.

Just to be sure since you said the "top" row of pins, are you sure of the Pin numbers you are measuring voltage on?
When installed, the top row of pins on J1 is 10 thru 6 (L to R). Check out the pin numbering on the attached schematic.

With Run/Tow in RUN, Keyswitch ON, F/R in F and pedal switch closed or jumpered, you should have positive pack voltage on ever pin on every plug that has a wire highlighted in red connected to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - PDS - Solenoid activation traced.jpg (69.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-22-2014, 02:00 PM   #5
cfstokes55
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

ok don't know what i as doing before but i get positive reading on all of the wires that you have highlighted in red. i also have positive voltage on the blue wire going to the solenoid.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:05 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
ok don't know what i as doing before but i get positive reading on all of the wires that you have highlighted in red. i also have positive voltage on the blue wire going to the solenoid.
Well that's a problem.
Disconnect the diode on the small terminals and re test, is the (+) on the blue wire gone? if yes the cart may run now. Diode was reversed. Of course that's just a guess
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:07 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Positive pack voltage on the blue wire says the controller is bad, or the connection between J1 Pin-6 on the plug is not making contact with Pin-6 in the receptacle.

Try pushing cart while Run/Tow is in Run. That will trigger the "walkaway" safety and the solenoid should close and the beeper should beep rapidly.

Also, disconnect the blue and yellow wires from solenoid and jumper B+ to one small terminal and B- to the other one to make sure solenoid will click.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:25 AM   #8
cfstokes55
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

ok so here is the latest when I disconnect the blue wire the positive voltage goes away. and once I connect the blue wire again the positive voltage comes
back. also I cleaned the connection on the j1 pin 6 both male and female end plunged back in still same thing. I then disconnected the yellow and blue wire and jumped like said, the solenoid would click and would stay engaged until I removed on of the wires. I could make the solenoid engage as much as I
wanted. as for the pushing of the cart when I pushed the cart nothing happened no beeps nothing. now my speed sensor broke a long time ago but never
made the cart stop working, it was like that for about a year maybe year and a half and the cart still worked. don't know if that would be a reason why the
cart would not beep when pushed or not.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:48 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Was the diode on the solenoid for all tests? If you put blue and yellow wires back on the solenoid without the diode is the (+) still present at pin 6 ? If no, the diode could be bad
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:59 AM   #10
cfstokes55
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

yeah sorry I should have put that up there was no diode on the solenoid when I did the test.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO