lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-28-2014, 06:21 PM   #1
newanimal
Not Yet Wild

Default seeking advice on used model for first build

Hello cartmen. My first post here (and build). Been searching for a donor for a rebuild project and so far have found what appears to be an older marathon model ezgo with the metal body. I see no body damage from the pics,just a bit of paint worn off the edges here and there. Tires very worn. Seats too. No batteries. No enclosure or window. Owner says is in good shape other wise. Asking $950 or BO. My idea is to make a higher performance cart with 48v AC drive, maybe 450amps, lithium batteries. This is for in-town commuting and a bit of fun while getting from point A to B. My area is a combination of flat and hilly terrain. I appreciate any advice on this model and the asking price. I was looking at the GEM's at first but decided the build route would save some bucks and allow better performance and customizing freedom with after market parts.
Metal bodies much heavier than plastic or would it matter with this drive system with the lighter lithium batteries?
I saw 48v lithium battery packs on Ebay from $600 - $1000 new. The $600 one supposed to be the one used for Chev volt cars. Is this right?

NA
newanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-28-2014, 08:51 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: seeking advice on used model for first build

Welcome to BGW

Yes you can build the cart you want, but a marathon with no batteries and needs tires is worth about $300 OR LESS, not many after market parts for the marathon. Look for a TXT lots of after market parts
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:25 PM   #3
newanimal
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
Welcome to BGW

Yes you can build the cart you want, but a marathon with no batteries and needs tires is worth about $300 OR LESS, not many after market parts for the marathon. Look for a TXT lots of after market parts
Thanks for that. I'll pass on it unless he knocks 2/3's off. A long drive to pick it up anyway. So it's difficult to find upgrades i.e. suspension, lifts, steering components ?
Old 10-28-2014, 10:07 PM   #4
rib33024

Not as much parts for the marathon 94 and down, like the TXT 95 and up there is a lot more parts, there's nothing wrong with a marathon i own a few of them,

here's a TXT with lithium batteries

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...txt-build.html
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:07 AM   #5
anthonywebb
Not Yet Wild

I would tend to agree, $950 is a bit steep for a cart in that condition. I'd keep hunting. I wish I could have found a little newer EZGO, mine is an '88 (but it was only $100 too) I am doing a lithium conversion too, excited to follow your progress, my thread is here: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...n-lithium.html
anthonywebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:37 PM   #6
newanimal
Not Yet Wild

Well I think I lucked out as I just snatched up a '99 TXT in my neighborhood for $799 + $50 for the factory charger. It's kind of a beach buggy with no front cowl. Owner put three 12v batteries in to replace what appears to be six spent 6v's. Goes about 12-15 mph. He modified the steering somehow for tighter radius which is a plus as I can better maneuver it my limited back yard space. Has head/tail lights and top canopy. The expected wear and a little tear on the seats. A perfect candidate for a build it seems. I'll try to post a pic soon.
I think my plan is go in stages as I get funds. Stage 1: 48v ac drive conversion (motor/controller/solenoid/cables/etc) maybe the Lith batteries too at this stage but not sure yet. Stage 2: Lift kit/ suspension/ bigger wheels+tires/disc brakes (which I may need to get on asap after the motor upgrade). Body and cosmetics last. At least this gets me rolling and saving gas and all. Any recommendations for the most cost effective route for the initial stage 1 upgrade would very appreciated.
My thanks for steering me away from a bad deal with the dead marathon.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:53 PM   #7
anthonywebb
Not Yet Wild

Congrats on the deal! Looking forward to pics!
anthonywebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:14 PM   #8
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Scotty b and carts unlimited should be your first shopping stop. Grats on the find.
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:20 AM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Dont expect much from the 12v's at 36v. Congrats with the new project. Get a "nose" on there so it doesnt look like a total "hack". All the dealers have a old "golf course body" nose they could spare for semi-cheap. Might need work, but you are gonna paint it any way right. We stack those on the roof of our shed (got plenty). Scratch & dent is perfect if you dont mind imperfections. Edit: i'm not selling anything, just suggesting where you might find one.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:15 AM   #10
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by newanimal View Post
I saw 48v lithium battery packs on Ebay from $600 - $1000 new. The $600 one supposed to be the one used for Chev volt cars. Is this right?
There are tons of batteries on ebay. Link please.

These are chevy volt cells, they are very difficult to remove from the volt battery pack and hard to convert into a golf cart.

sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO