lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-12-2014, 01:30 AM   #1
rbkoeberlein
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Can I wire my batteries out of the cart to charge while I work on the cart?

I am moving in two weeks.
My cart is currently not drivable.
Will my batteries be ok of the charge for this long?

When I move can I wire the batteries out of the cart in series to charge while I work on some rust and other mods repairs?

Thanks in advance
rbkoeberlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-12-2014, 06:16 AM   #2
branson
Not here yet

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Can I wire my batteries out of the cart to charge while I work on the cart?

That would be the best thing to do if you won't be using them for a while
branson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:59 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Can I wire my batteries out of the cart to charge while I work on the cart?

YES they will......just hook them up, charge the cart fully before you remove them and all will be good.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:28 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The biggest challenge is connecting the charger to the pack. Use the cart receptacle (if it's out of the body to make the connection). In the Ezgo TXT I use 2 radsoks, these are the female barrel type connectors from inside the receptacle...
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:48 AM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

You could also invest in a "battery maintainer" that keeps them fully charged when not in use for long periods of time.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:59 AM   #6
rbkoeberlein
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
You could also invest in a "battery maintainer" that keeps them fully charged when not in use for long periods of time.
That word "invest" scares me when used on this site...

Thank you all.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:41 AM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbkoeberlein View Post
That word "invest" scares me when used on this site...

Thank you all.
well don't be scared......they are not expensive at all.....we are talking about $75 to $100 depending on the brand and its functions.......

but if this would be a "one time use" kind of thing.....then I would hook them up like Scotty suggested.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:22 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Since the cart is going to be down for maintenance, you can use remove the charge receptacle or just use female radsoks in the charge receptacle. In either case, the charge cables that go to the battery pack are already attached.

Cart batteries typically self-discharge at about 1% SoC per day and 70% Soc is where the rapid sulfation starts, so max time between boost charges is about a month, but initiating a charge cycle once a week won't hurt the batteries, in fact, it might help them some if they are older batteries.

You'll probably have to disconnect the charger (at least one of the two wires) from the pack to start a new charge cycle.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:42 PM   #9
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

How far is the cart apart/ You could just run jumper cables to the pack if not to far away.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 04:08 PM   #10
rbkoeberlein
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOmsman View Post
How far is the cart apart/ You could just run jumper cables to the pack if not to far away.

It is currently waiting for me to move (new house) but I want to take the batteries out to repair some rusty spots on the frame.
I also want to rerun all other accessory wires.

Tags
batteries, ezgo
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO