lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-22-2014, 07:43 PM   #1
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Whats wrong with my RXV? Newbie

I have a 2008 RXV, brand new batteries. i am not that familiar with driving them. But some things seem strange or odd??

When i turn the key to f or r, if i step on the go pedal before i hear that noise that the cart makes when you tun the key, the cart does not go. At that time, if i tap the brake then the go, it goes.

I also noticed when i let off the go pedal, and coast a bit, sometimes when i reapply the go pedal, nothing? But if at that moment i tap the brake then the go, it goes.

Is this normal? If it is, why is it this way?

What does tapping on the brake do, that re enables the cart?

smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-23-2014, 06:21 PM   #2
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Whats wrong with my RXV? Newbie

The 2008 was year 1 for the RXV and they are notorious for motor brake issues. What do you know of the history of the cart? It sounds like your motor brake could be failing or need adjustment.
The motor brake is just what it sounds like. If it is "on", the cart won't move.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 06:51 PM   #3
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

STS, you have 2 issues. The first is these RXV carts are fly-by-wire both for motion and stopping, and they are NOT razor sharp in the reaction department. As you turn the switch to select direction you should hear a solenoid engage as well as see the fuel gauge activate. Only then will the cart respond to pedal inputs.

The second is the 2008s seem to be victim to a brake pedal that won't return to the at-ready position, which refuses a solenoid to engage, yada yada. Pumping the brake pedal once seems to make it bounce all the way out.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:47 PM   #4
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Hi RXV tech here...
First of all WELCOME to BGW

G man seems to have it right--
just going to add info.

1)

When key is turned to F or R -- cart performs a POST test (power on self test)
part of the check is throttle and brake sending unit test. If either pedal is pressed before test is complete,test will fail and cart will not go.Releasing brake or throttle allows test to complete and cart to operate.

This is not a problem-- Cart operating as designed----

2)

Sometimes the brake pedal does not return all the way on some older ( 2008 ) carts
and causes the problems you describe.

it could be return spring,switch or as simple as garbage in the way of the pedal mechanism .

This does not sound like a problem with motor brake.

Try just lifting brake with your toe when you have this problem.
Try to make sure that you only perform one action and that one action changes cart operation.

if this "fixes" problem then let us know for further troubleshooting.
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:00 PM   #5
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

thanks for the response guys.

This is a 2008 cart that came off a golf coarse.So i am sure it was abused. It still has the brake that has the lever handle on it.

I wasn't going to replace that, because i read that they sometimes last a long time, and if it is not broke don't fix it.

So i have not replaced that.

I do get anxious and step on the pedal in a hurry. So in that case, when that happens, i tap the brake and it goes. So apparently that is ok, i just need to take my time.

the last issue mentioned about the brake not returning, i am willing to replace whatever i need to. So do i just need a new spring, or an entire brake set up?

I have raed something about updated software, can someone tell me about that/? Wher can i get this software? What does it do? I have the hand held diagnostic tool, that i can use to change speed to the freedom mode, so whatelse do i need to get a hold up, and install this updated software?

Does this software have anything to do with my issues i originall wrote about here?
Old 12-23-2014, 08:24 PM   #6
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Handheld is expensive and sometimes hard to get.
A dealer or reputable golf cart shop can upgrade software and adjust acceleration and top speed.
This is very simple and should be a low cost "repair".

What is @ speed of cart?
most "GOLF" carts are set to 13mph(+-)
A "STOCK"(right off the golf c.) RXV will go 19mph(+-) with just speed setting change.

Before you start worrying about repairing anything,
Please confirm that you must poke or lift brake pedal to make cart operate.
Might just be "operator error" and problem might be "fixed"

The "Brake problems" for RXV's are well documented.
Several threads on BGW deal with them.
Your description of symptoms does NOT point to a problem with
the "parking/emergency" brake.

If the brake works and you do not abuse it by locking the brakes while moving , or various forms of "lever abuse" -- let sleeping $200.00
brake lie.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:49 PM   #7
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Hitech, i think you misread me. I have the hand held tool, that is not a problem, i own it. I use this tool to program speed increase on rxvs that i rebuild.

What i am asking, is what this software update is about, where can i get this software update, and how and when would i install it?

I agree, i don't think i have a problem with the brake itself. I just refurbished a cart, and when i was delivering it, is when i noticed the problem.
To morrow morning i will go test drive that cart, and see if i need to lift the pedal or not. I am trying to get the info now, before i go to the customers house and try this.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:43 PM   #8
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Sorry, i did mis read.

New software version is "Dealer only" type stuff. They don't give it out.
You need to find someone to get it for you.

If your handheld will update the cart, it is probably a new enough version.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:02 PM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Even the dealers can not update the software on their handhelds, they have to sent programmer back to ezgo for software updates. If your handheld has newer software in it than the cart has, a menu will exist at the bottom of the list titled "Install Software"
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:00 PM   #10
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

ok , I test drove the cart, and as you said ( hi tech), whenever the cart wont go ( usually after I step on the brake), if I then lift up on the brake pedal, the cart will then go.

So based on that info, what all do I need to replace to fix this?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO