lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-01-2015, 02:49 PM   #1
bdl0485
Not Yet Wild

Default upgrade 02 pds or buy rxv?

I bought an 2002 PDS last year, everything on the cart is factory, and needs a new paint job. I did install a rear seat last year for 300. I have been doing some research and i figured i would need to do atleast a controller,upgrade cables,motor and go to a 48 volt system to make it comparable to an rxv for running the neighborhood at 20-25 mph on flat, AND uphill. I priced everything i need for my existing EXCEPT for the motor and 48 conversion, for about 2g.

I was looking around and found 2012 fleet carts for 2900. I know i will not get the top end speed with this cart, as i would with a built one, but since i do have kids that will want to drive it, it may be a good thing.

So my question is which would be better? I will be running 23 inch tire, so that is why I'm worried about the speed loss going uphill with my pads, even when i upgrade the controller and cables. My main concern is decent speed without slowing down, and having a cart that is reliable. Also, is there another cart i should be looking at?
bdl0485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-01-2015, 03:17 PM   #2
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Default Re: upgrade 02 pds or buy rxv?

A RXV with close to Stock tires (tires that fit under un lifted cart)
Will run @22mph.

Fast as you can go w/o insurance,seat belts ect ect in Ga.(LSV Stuff)
Check your local laws.

You say something about uphill?

RXV's are great on hills. They outperform many modified carts on hills.

Club Car and yamaha are starting to produce AC carts.
It will probably be a few years before these start to hit the used cart market.

If a stock PDS cart did OK on the hills, an RXV will hardly notice them.

Dont lift RXV's--- they are FAST and (too)large tires will rob torque and Cause braking problems.

Hope this helps...

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...rth-money.html

Last edited by HiTechRedNeck; 03-01-2015 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: Add link.
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 03:26 PM   #3
bdl0485
Not Yet Wild

i have stock wheels on it now, but i have the freedom chip. so i can get about 18-19 on flat land, but once i start going up a hill in the neighborhood it will drop down to 12. I'm sure if upgraded to controller and left 18 inch tires on it, the cart will climb the hills with no issues. I am just worried what will happen with the 23 inch tires.

Whats the difference between the rxv freedom and rxv fleet? just different programming?
Old 03-01-2015, 04:08 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Just different programming. A "fleet" rxv controller can be upgraded to "freedom" 19mph mode by ezgo dealer.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:37 PM   #5
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

RXV's dont loose much speed on hills.
By the time RXV's are slowing a little, other (basically stock)carts are struggling.

"I am just worried what will happen with the 23 inch tires."

on hills with upgraded controller you may just about break even... most improvement in torque offset
by larger tires.

Your top speed on flat ground should increase.

Check with JohnnieB. he has the actual numbers on controller vs tires ect.

Last edited by HiTechRedNeck; 03-01-2015 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: clarification
Old 03-01-2015, 07:04 PM   #6
bdl0485
Not Yet Wild

yea i figured i might get a little more speed on hills with the controller, but by the time i get where i want on hills, (doing the controller and motor with 48 volts) i do not think the cart will be kid friendly. Unless there is a way to program top speed on the cart through the controller?? is there a way to have a toggle switch with different power setting? Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I'm going down the right path before i start spending money.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:51 PM   #7
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

RXV's can be programmed by handheld (dealer only) programmer
fo top speed between about 13mph to about 20mph.

On a RXV, top speed is just that. If cart is set to 20mph top speed,
uphill 20mph. Downhill WOT-- 20mph.

Computer will not let cart exceed max set speed.

As to kid friendly....

An un-lifted RXV is stable up to 20-24 mph
using close to stock tires and reasonable driving practices.

A lifted RXV can be "interesting" or "exciting" to drive at high speeds.
The coil over front suspension is designed to give a smooth comfortable
ride on a golf course, and can allow excessive body roll if center of
gravity is raised and cart is traveling fast.

I would refer to a lifted RXV as "NOT KID FRIENDLY" .(Especially teenage boys-- as i remember having been one)

Any cart moving at around 20mph can flip if driven in an unsafe manor (reference youtube and/or jackass clips)

RXV top speed is adjustable, but only one top speed can be programmed at a time.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:10 PM   #8
bdl0485
Not Yet Wild

thanks for the good info, what would you recommend for the max tire size that would still be safe? I have read some people have done 20" on stock suspension, would this be fine?
I am going go look at the 2012 cart tomorrow, how can i tell if its an 2012 or a 2012.5? I have read the curtis controller is a better way to go.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:02 AM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Look under the seat, passenger side, behind the plastic motor controller cover. You will find a aluminum heatshield with slots in it and "hot" embossed. If it is raw aluminum color, you have a 2012 or older "danaher" model. If its black color, you have a 2012.5 or newer "curtis" model.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:04 AM   #10
DoorKicker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I sorta had a similar situation with my recent upgrade in carts. I had a cart that I had done upgrades to, but I wanted a LIMO or stretch.

I started looking at used and then found myself looking at NEW and eventually New Yamaha because of how much stretch carts cost around here, and how few and far between they seem to be. Especially battery powered.

I drove a few RXV that had been lifted, and while I was impressed with the performance of the motor, I didn't like the stability or lack there of... Plus I couldn't find a stretch RXV and was getting quotes to have one "Built"

I also heard several dealers warn me off of the RXV but I soon realized that these were mainly the guys that didn't sell RXV

Now this is just MHO, and certainly others here know way more than I do about all things golf cart, but I decided to stick with the tried and true since my cart would be heavily modified

It seemed to me that an RXV would be better if you only wanted to do cosmetic changes and maybe custom rims with similar OD as the stock tire rim combo. The ride with a lift just bothered me. Especially with teenage kids at the wheel.

It also boiled down to bottom line for me. I was able to get into my cart built exactly the way I wanted (or should I say discovered I wanted with some help from folks here) for 3-4K less than a similarly equipped RXV

Now some might say, "yeh but a TXT is worth 3-4K less than an RXV" and that may very well be the case, but I didn't build my cart to re-sell, I bought it to terrorize the neighborhood
DoorKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO