lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-11-2015, 08:14 AM   #1
Kortoga
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Fender Flares

How well do these fit?
I just ordered some from a sponsor but they do not seem to fit the body perfectly.
Advertised as (Fits EZGO TXT 1995+ electric and gas golf carts)

What I mean by perfectly is, there are gaps and the flares do not curve and follow the body all that good. Either these are for the wrong model, or the Chinese manufacture doesn't care about fitment.

It looks like if I install the rear ones they will stick out off the back about 1 inch or so. And the front ones the same thing.

I am not going to drill holes until I know these are correct or if I am installing them wrong.
Kortoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-11-2015, 08:27 AM   #2
Kortoga
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Fender Flares

OK, went out and worked with them to see if I was locating them incorrectly or not.
I think I am locating them incorrectly. As I move them around there does seem to be a spot that when placed, the flares fit the body very good.

But the front flares are totally missing a ridge on the hood that the Chinese should have accounted for. Could have made an indented slot for the ridge to fit.

I think these are correct, and will keep working with them to fit them on better.

Are there more than one manufacture that makes these? Is there a better brand than others? What flares do you use?
Old 04-11-2015, 09:18 AM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Are they close enough where moderate use of a heat gun would allow slight adjustments?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:02 AM   #4
CaptainPete
Getting Wild

People here love pictures, Im the same way, I need visualization.
CaptainPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:39 PM   #5
Kortoga
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Sorry for the dirty cart, the road in front of my house is being re-paved, so the dust is an issue until they complete it. Nothing a good pressure down won't solve, but that isn't going to happen today.

The fender flares come standard with plastic junk push in zip screws. Kinda stuff the interior of your car is probably held together with. I threw these immediately in the trash, who's idea was it that these things were good for an "OFF ROAD" attachment to a fender well? Good idea, bad application.

So I bought a stainless steel bolt set from Website Sponsor off eBay, which is much better than the plastic junk that comes with the fender flares. For whatever reason I did not see them on their website when I bought the fender flares, I went back and looked after eBay, still couldn't find them. Stainless is stainless, not much to say hear, except for thanks, I did not want to figure out what sizes I needed. The only complaint I have is there should have been another set of 20 washers. There are 20 bolts you have to install, but only 20 washers are included with their kit. Who connects plastic together and only puts a washer on one side of the bolt/nut combination? Not me, so I will be going out to purchase said extra 20 washers. I would have paid another $10 to have them included in the "do it for me I don't want to think" package. Now I have to travel to my local Fastenal and buy them myself, coulda just picked the whole package up myself in the first place I guess. Not complaining, just saying...I have some pictures showing how I used a washer on both sides of the connection.
Also, I hate using lock nuts with an over long bolt. The lock nut is supposed to NOT go fully onto the bolt like in the picture. These puppies are not going to want to come off when I want them to in the future. I will probably buy the correct length and new lock nuts when I visit Fastenal. So go ahead and chalk that stainless steel kit up as worthless...to me anyways. I'll be purchasing the correct hardware and replacing this stuff. I will post a list of what I buy on this thread after I complete this little install.

When I installed the flares I did NOT drill all the holes at once. When you dry fit the flares onto the fender they do not fit perfectly without bending them into place, but then they pop right back out of place. So I eyed it. I held the first one in place, moved it around until it looked good, I felt under the fender to ensure the drilled hole was where I wanted it (it did not interfere with anything), and then bent the flare around the fender until I saw the bend was what I wanted. Then I drilled the first hole on one end. I bolted that hole, then kept going with each hole bending the flare until it was installed. I then took measurements of what I thought was critical points that would help me install the other side. I used the same technique for all 4 flares, holding it up, eyeballing it, bending it around, feeling for obstructions before I drilled, seeing if it matched the same distance from the light than the other side. I am not a perfectionist, but I do like to do things as best I can...with what little tools I have.

I am not finished since I have to replace the hardware with something I can work with and enjoy. But I have them up as you can see in the pictures.

I want to add a front brush guard soon, which I think will interfere with the front fender flares. I do not know. But I will cross that issue when I get to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2478.jpg (184.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2472.jpg (149.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2476.jpg (148.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2474.JPG (157.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2480.jpg (134.8 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO