lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-24-2015, 03:03 PM   #1
SEHunter
Gone Wild

Default 99 CC DS Electric rear axle issues

I think mine is a Kawasaki axle. Confirmation on this would be helpful also but to my issue..
I've got the GE "beast" motor, 650 amp Alltrax controller, etc. have a small lift with 22" tires. On occasion I slam it full throttle from a stop because it's fun to show my 4 wheeler buddies that my old man golf cart will do a wheel stand🤘. I really don't do it often at all but the last time I did, there was a loud grinding vibration type sound from the rear. After looking at schematics it appears that the spindle with the lugs is part of the axle shaft vs a separate splined hub like an EZ-GO. I'm assuming the gears in the diff deflected and jumped a few teeth with the sudden torque demand.

I don't know if the rear has a ring and pinion or another gear system but I'm curios what this was and if it likely can cause any parts to prematurely fail. During normal driving and even climbing steep hills with a load, it won't do it. I haven't done a wheel stand since it happened. Any thoughts?
SEHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-24-2015, 10:52 PM   #2
SEHunter
Gone Wild

Default Re: 99 CC DS Electric rear axle issues

I've done more research on the forum and have decided to just run it as long as it still works. I still wish I knew what slipped but anyway...

I still want to replace the outer axle bearings. So which models do you have to replace the whole axle shaft just for bearing replacement? I'm not clear on this. Also, are these axles like an automotive axle? When I remove the snap ring and pull the axles, will fluid come out the end of the tube? Are there oil deals at the differential? Wish I had a schematic...
Old 12-25-2015, 08:41 AM   #3
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Well... I don't know much about sparky's,
but I do have a 36V v-glide supplemental manual that shows a pretty good detail of the transaxle breakdown.

Hope this helps!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 98-99 DS elect. MS.pdf (3.02 MB, 0 views)
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 12:32 PM   #4
SEHunter
Gone Wild

Hey thanks. That's is very helpful and answered pretty much all my questions. The only question I have now is if it's a "G" axle, can the bearing be replaced without replacing the whole shaft and where to get the right bearing. I know that goes against the mfg recommendations but there's a lot of those type things in the automotive world that gear heads find ways around. Is this one? In the mean time I'll look to try to identify which axle I have...
Old 12-25-2015, 01:08 PM   #5
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

It's always been to my understanding that the bearings have to be pressed on the axle,
With Precedents, and newer DS's... you need to buy the complete axle with the bearings already pressed on,
the older DS's, you can get the bearings separately, and press them on yourself!

Don't quote me... but I'm pretty sure that that's right!

In the transaxle introduction section, it gives you the way to figure out if it's a "G" or a "K" type transaxle...

Quote:
There are two types of transaxles used in the manufacture of the electric vehicle. The different transaxles are identified
by the orientation of the gear case bolt heads. The Type G transaxle has gear case bolt heads oriented toward
the passenger side of the vehicle. The Type K transaxle has gear case bolt heads oriented toward the driver side of
the vehicle. Please note that parts used in these transaxles are not interchangeable with one another. Service and
repair procedures specific to each transaxle are noted throughout this section.
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 01:17 PM   #6
Muddog
Crazy Wild

Club Car

Lockman , Thank you, I needed this info and you just made my life much easier.
Merry Christmas, Muddog
Muddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 02:48 PM   #7
SEHunter
Gone Wild

Got it. Thanks again. I'll get that figured out then prolly just shoot ScottyB a message for the parts I need. Merry Christmas
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car