lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-13-2016, 08:05 PM   #1
mattkovo
Not Yet Wild

Default Headlight not working after Altrax 500 XCT Installed

Before I had a new Altrax XCT 500amp installed on my 2006 Club Car Precedent my headlight worked. The light had moisture in it so I took it off and let the dealer install the controller. My new light finally came in so I thought it would just be a plug and play but it did not work (I threw away the old one before installing the controller). I then used all the wiring that came with the light but still no luck. Is it possible the light connection was not hooked up properly to the controller? And if so then what can I check?
mattkovo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-13-2016, 08:18 PM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: Headlight not working after Altrax 500 XCT Installed

Does the other light work?
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:42 PM   #3
mattkovo
Not Yet Wild

I threw away the other light. The tail lights don't work either but I'm not sure if you need the headlight hooked up for them to work.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:23 AM   #4
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

The lights don't work off the controller. Sounds like they did not hook the wiring for the lights back up.

The may have been running off one of your batteries , or a voltage reducer. Look around in the battery box area for a wire laying down beside or below the batteries around the main negative post and the main positive post.

If you can post a good picture of the batteries maybe we can see the problem.

Be sure you put cart in TOW before working with batteries.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:42 AM   #5
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
The lights don't work off the controller. Sounds like they did not hook the wiring for the lights back up.

The may have been running off one of your batteries , or a voltage reducer. Look around in the battery box area for a wire laying down beside or below the batteries around the main negative post and the main positive post.

spot on!
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:56 AM   #6
glassk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post

Need to see if voltage is at the wire/connection, could have gone from wired to one battery to full pack voltage and blew the new light,...
glassk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 02:37 PM   #7
mattkovo
Not Yet Wild

I'll have to take a picture later and post it. I did test the voltage from the wiring harness under the dash. I could not get 12v with any of the plugs but I could get 12v if I tested the blue wire on the harness and a negative battery terminal. That leads me to believe that the negative (black) wire isn't working by chance?

The light works. I can simply hook it up to a 12 volt battery no problem. My tail lights don't work either. Should they come on regardless if the headlight is working/plugged in?
Old 01-14-2016, 02:50 PM   #8
glassk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkovo View Post
I'll have to take a picture later and post it. I did test the voltage from the wiring harness under the dash. I could not get 12v with any of the plugs but I could get 12v if I tested the blue wire on the harness and a negative battery terminal. That leads me to believe that the negative (black) wire isn't working by chance?

The light works. I can simply hook it up to a 12 volt battery no problem. My tail lights don't work either. Should they come on regardless if the headlight is working/plugged in?
does 12 volts on that blue wire work with headlight switch, on/off if so does sound like the ground was left off, As Mr. Golf mentioned the wire can fall beside the batteries and goes unseen,...
glassk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 02:51 PM   #9
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

They probably missed a ground wire when they did the install. They would have disconnected the battery pack (maybe at + or -) before replacing the controller. I did the same thing last weekend when I installed my lithium batteries. No lights or turn signals. I found that one of the ground wires had fallen down in back while I was doing the battery install. The reducer was not connected to the battery minus - so it obviously did not work.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 02:53 PM   #10
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Smile Re: Headlight not working after Altrax 500 XCT Installed

The power to the headlights and tail-lights come from the same source...a voltage reducer that makes connection to the main battery pack and then drops the voltage to 12v...it is possible that that lighting circuit may have a fuse in it also...
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car