lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-23-2016, 07:07 PM   #11
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Stereo memory help

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunson67 View Post
Okay, got it, so anything creating a draw should not go to the battery side of the obc, what about the voltage meters, etc. , since they are only reading, they should be okay, correct?
That would be correct, the draw from the likes of a digital voltage meter is all but nothing.....
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-23-2016, 08:11 PM   #12
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunson67 View Post
See below for wiring for the 30 amp 48 to 12 volt reducer.
1. Black wire - 48 volts negative, goes to #6 negative battery pack, or B- of controller?
Is the B- the large cable connection on the controller? I then will wire this to a negative buss bar for all accessory grounds.
2. Red wire - 48 volts positive into converter. Is this where I put a break in the circuit to
install a switch to allow the converter to be turned on/off?
3. Green wire - 12 volts out - run to positive buss bar to feed accessories.
4. Yellow wire - ?
Teecro covered the 48v negative connections already so I will just answer the other part.

If You are wiring the converter just for 12v "switched" output accessories:
1) Controller B- to negative buss bar (14ga wire).
2) Converter 48v positive input (red wire) to pack positive (14ga), put a 15 amp fuse as close to the battery post as possible.
3) Converter 48v negative input (black wire) to negative buss bar (12ga).
4) Converter 12v positive output to fuse block or positive buss bar (12ga).
5) Converter 48v positive trigger wire (yellow wire) to "Cold" side of Key switch (side that only has power when switch is ON) (16ga)
6) All 12v negative accessories go to the negative buss bar.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:25 PM   #13
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Teecro covered the 48v negative connections already so I will just answer the other part.
LOL I shy away from getting too far into the details involving the OBC as mine is still in the cart but bypassed and I want no part of stereos in my cart and pretty much only use my cart in the daylight hours. Only reason I installed a 48/12 was to charge up the phone if need be...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:56 PM   #14
brunson67
Getting Wild

Red face Re: Stereo memory help

Quote:

If You are wiring the converter just for 12v "switched" output accessories:
1) Controller B- to negative buss bar (14ga wire).
2) Converter 48v positive input (red wire) to pack positive (14ga), put a 15 amp fuse as close to the battery post as possible.
3) Converter 48v negative input (black wire) to negative buss bar (12ga).
4) Converter 12v positive output to fuse block or positive buss bar (12ga).
5) Converter 48v positive trigger wire (yellow wire) to "Cold" side of Key switch (side that only has power when switch is ON) (16ga)
6) All 12v negative accessories go to the negative buss bar.
Okay, got it, one more question, for now! Lol, the yellow trigger wire- I'm not wiring to the key switch, running a separate toggle switch to allow converter to be on/off seperately, so yellow trigger wire goes to battery pack positive with a switch in between?
Man, when I get my buddies cart done, I need to pull mine apart to fix the negative side of the converter circuit!
brunson67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:17 AM   #15
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes, a toggle switch works for the yellow trigger wire.

Assuming that switch is going to be located on the dash, You can also get the positive from the "hot" side of the key switch instead of pulling a new wire all the way from pack positive.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:14 PM   #16
brunson67
Getting Wild

Quote:
Yes, a toggle switch works for the yellow trigger wire.

Assuming that switch is going to be located on the dash, You can also get the positive from the "hot" side of the key switch instead of pulling a new wire all the way from pack positive.
Sergio - Thanks for the help and information, this is great stuff!

My options are:

1. Run separate toggle switch on dash for converter trigger, pull 48 volts from key switch, and only run one yellow wire to converter.

2. Run yellow trigger wire to original key switch to cold side, done!

Starting to think I should take your original suggestion and just use the key switch as the trigger for the converter, keep it simple! I'm really geeking out on this, now as I stated before, I need to tear my cart back apart and re-route some of the wiring!
brunson67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:13 PM   #17
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

sergio, just as a question, If you ran an accessory wire through the OBC as well would that work ? Or confuse it..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 04:09 PM   #18
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

If You mean a wire originating in B- through the OBC then to the converter negative, it would create a magnetic field in the opposite direction as the current being discharged from the battery.

I am not really sure what the cancelling effect would be as the wires would have a different amount of surface areas exposed to the open core element inside the OBC that concentrates the magnetic field onto the hall effect sensor.

There is also not enough room to squeeze anything else thru the OBC even if you want it to.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:55 AM   #19
Tommy T
Gone Wild

Club Car

Wow, I will be rewiring this weekend as well. Thank you . Good thread. So glad it is slow at work this morning. Giving me time to catch up and learn from all you guy's on here
Tommy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:24 PM   #20
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
If You mean a wire originating in B- through the OBC then to the converter negative, it would create a magnetic field in the opposite direction as the current being discharged from the battery.

I am not really sure what the cancelling effect would be as the wires would have a different amount of surface areas exposed to the open core element inside the OBC that concentrates the magnetic field onto the hall effect sensor.

There is also not enough room to squeeze anything else thru the OBC even if you want it to.
Well I meant from the pack negative through the OBC but it still all sounds like a bad idea. B- on the controller it is
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car