lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2017, 12:46 PM   #11
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: 95 CC Charger over charging batteries OBC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudyplus6 View Post
NoleFan4ever thanks for the tip.. It's a little overwhelming when trying to read all the info.

I have to dealers close to me and I don't trust either one. They have each told me different things.
Rudy
Read pgs 11 and 12 and it will answer a lot of your questions and add a little bit of comfort to you. Specifically the sentence and the bottom of pg.11 that states "Normal voltage near the end of the charge cycle will be 59-63 volts." This was where Sergio was going when he was letting you know that was not high voltages you were seeing and you needed to let it complete. This will just further back that up and give you a little more understanding of the charging cycle and the OBC (On Board Computer)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Club Car Powerdrive 3 Charger Manual.pdf (443.9 KB, 0 views)
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-13-2017, 09:05 PM   #12
Rudyplus6
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

NoleFan4Ever

Thanks for the info. Reading this does answer some questions and puts my mind a little at ease.

This past weekend I did plug it in and attempted to let it complete the cycle, however after two attempts I couldn't do it and pulled the plug.

The first try the charger was at 5amp for two hours and the first three batteries were boiling.

2nd try I let it for 3 hours. Both times the ammeter barley moved below 5.

What is a "normal" time once the meter hits 5 before the cycle is complete?

How much damage can be caused to the batteries by letting them boil?

Before I headed home I was tempted to plug it in and leave but just couldn't bring myself to do it.

I should add that my cart has no battery light or gauge to show status. Should this be something I should get?

Thanks for the help,
Rudy
Rudyplus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:34 AM   #13
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
NoleFan4Ever

Thanks for the info. Reading this does answer some questions and puts my mind a little at ease.

This past weekend I did plug it in and attempted to let it complete the cycle, however after two attempts I couldn't do it and pulled the plug.

The first try the charger was at 5amp for two hours and the first three batteries were boiling.

2nd try I let it for 3 hours. Both times the ammeter barley moved below 5.

What is a "normal" time once the meter hits 5 before the cycle is complete?

How much damage can be caused to the batteries by letting them boil?

Before I headed home I was tempted to plug it in and leave but just couldn't bring myself to do it.

I should add that my cart has no battery light or gauge to show status. Should this be something I should get?

Thanks for the help,
Rudy
We all completely understand the hesitancy and most all of us have been there before. I can assure you that everything you describe is exactly as it should be thus far. And even more so on new batteries. And they are going to boil a little, do not be concerned about that. Those batteries are designed to take upwards of 65v without hesitation. Most all chargers go 62-63+ towards the end of the cycle.

To answer your question, it will get down to 3-5 amps after the initial charging (which normally starts out at 15+ on a PD3). It can go for many many hours like that all based on the charge level and condition of the batteries.

When you have your cart plugged in is there the initial 8 - 10 second delay before it kicks on? Is the drive system disabled (you cannot make it go forward or backwards while charging)? I ask this because that is a few things a properly function OBC does in conjunction with the charge sequence.

Now if all is still good, plug it back in while you are at home. Have a digital volt meter and hook it to the main positive and the main negative (respectively) and then let it go. Please do not unplug it until it cuts off or you see 63.5 volts for over one hour. Remember, based on condition, it could take 16 hours for a properly established full charge. Your OBC is going to remember what you have done so far as it has not completed a full charge yet.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:56 AM   #14
Rudyplus6
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hey guys,

I have had to sideline this issue for the last couple months due to other issues, but now am back on it trying to figure out what is wrong.
This past weekend I ran the cart just about dead. Plugged the charger in at about 8:00 pm , let it run till morning checked voltage after being plugged in for 12 hours it was 61.7. Charger still reading between 3-4 amps, first three batteries in from + boiling steady. batteries 4.5.6 fine.
I did not think to check each battery voltage.Wife wanted to go for a ride so unplugged and went on about a 20 min ride.
Plugged back in afterwards and charged for another 2.5 hrs, charger went back to 3-4 amps and batteries boiling lightly. For fear of damage to batteries I pulled the plug before we left for the week.

Over labor day weekend I want to get under that cart and see if I can get any numbers off of the OBC to look up a replacement.

My other thought is to bypass the OBC and purchase an on board battery charger/maintainer. Thoughts on this?

Thanks for your input,
Rudy
Old 08-29-2017, 12:09 PM   #15
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Rudy, did you get to these from my previous post?

"When you have your cart plugged in is there the initial 8 - 10 second delay before it kicks on? Is the drive system disabled (you cannot make it go forward or backwards while charging)? I ask this because that is a few things a properly function OBC does in conjunction with the charge sequence.

Now if all is still good, plug it back in while you are at home. Have a digital volt meter and hook it to the main positive and the main negative (respectively) and then let it go. Please do not unplug it until it cuts off or you see 63.5 volts for over one hour. Remember, based on condition, it could take 16 hours for a properly established full charge. Your OBC is going to remember what you have done so far as it has not completed a full charge yet."
Old 08-29-2017, 12:34 PM   #16
Rudyplus6
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

NoleFan4Ever,

There is the 8-10 second period where it starts and then shuts off and back on to begin charging. The cart will not go FWD or BWD while charging. Based on this my OBC is working?

This weekend I will put a meter on it and let it go. What I don't get is why the first three batteries boil and the others don't.

Rudy
Old 08-29-2017, 12:37 PM   #17
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Those are definitely positive points that your OBC appears to be working correctly.

Remember what I said (and in the write-up that was attached) in that it can take up to 16 hours to fully charge the batteries and the charger will cut off at 16 hours so you may have to continue it.

I do not remember, what is the date on your batteries? Are they all the same date, make and model??
Old 08-29-2017, 12:41 PM   #18
Rudyplus6
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

The batteries are brand new US Power batteries. Purchased at same time. I'll see if there is a date on them this weekend.

It's still odd to me that only the first three boil.

Thanks for the help,
Rudy
Old 08-29-2017, 12:44 PM   #19
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
The batteries are brand new US Power batteries. Purchased at same time. I'll see if there is a date on them this weekend.

It's still odd to me that only the first three boil.

Thanks for the help,
Rudy
When you see that, check the charge on all the batteries individually and make sure they are all charging. Could be a faulty cable in the mix.

US will have the date code stamped in the lead post base. Like D 7 Y.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:50 PM   #20
Rudyplus6
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I was just thinking about picking up a few cables and swap them out.

Will report back after the weekend..

Be safe everyone.

Rudy
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car