lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-21-2020, 10:17 AM   #1
Baymax198
Not Yet Wild

Default 2012 TXT dead

Wish I had found this site sooner.

I have a 2012 Ezgo TXT48 that was previously used at a factory (but is in relatively good shape) to drive around the neighborhood with my kids.

I took the utility bed off and added a rear seat, then added a lift and larger tires. Despite not being mechanically inclined, I was able to install all items by myself in about 3-4 hours.

After finishing the lift, I drove about a half a mile away and back and everything was fine. Parked it, now the cart is dead.

Batteries reading full charge (2019 Trojans)
The resistor on the solenoid was burnt up. Bought a new solenoid and resistor and they’re installed.

The solenoid clicks when I have to cart in Run/key on/accelerator down. But won’t go forward or backwards. Not really sure what is wrong now. I’m confused as to why my cart would just die when I didn’t do anything to the power supply or electrical wiring.

I think it’s a PDS cart. The F/R switch is on the dash next to the key.

Any help would be appreciated.
Baymax198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-21-2020, 12:08 PM   #2
Threeput
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2012 TXT dead

I'm no expert.but I had basically the same problems when I first got my 2009 RXV...
Because of this great forum I found out a few things...First ..when you put the key in N the cart does a system check...before I was putting the key into N then immediately to F...no go...So now I wait....if it still doesn't go after a couple of seconds ..check that pedal is all the way back..if OK....then put the Run/Tow switch..to Tow..put key to N...then see if you are able to push/pull the cart by hand...I had problems with the electric plug going into the brake not connecting properly so the brake did not come off...or check if Brake coil is OK..26 Ohms I believe...or check for voltage at the plug...hope this helps
Threeput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 01:47 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baymax198 View Post

I have a 2012 Ezgo TXT48 that was previously used at a factory (but is in relatively good shape) to drive around the neighborhood with my kids.

I took the utility bed off and added a rear seat, then added a lift and larger tires. Despite not being mechanically inclined, I was able to install all items by myself in about 3-4 hours.

After finishing the lift, I drove about a half a mile away and back and everything was fine. Parked it, now the cart is dead.

Batteries reading full charge (2019 Trojans)
The resistor on the solenoid was burnt up. Bought a new solenoid and resistor and they’re installed.

The solenoid clicks when I have to cart in Run/key on/accelerator down. But won’t go forward or backwards. Not really sure what is wrong now. I’m confused as to why my cart would just die when I didn’t do anything to the power supply or electrical wiring.

I think it’s a PDS cart. The F/R switch is on the dash next to the key.

Any help would be appreciated.
The description for your cart that will identify it body type and drive system type is "2012 TXT48". That lets us know it has a plastic body with a sepex (separately excited) motor and controller that is power by a 48V battery pack.

The TXT48 replaced the PDS, which was a 36V sepex system.

---------
If the solenoid energizes and stays energized while the pedal is pressed, the problem is most likely in the high amp circuit. (Heavy cables, solenoid, motor and parts of controller, plus the throttle circuit)

Connect your DVM between the controller's B- and M- terminals. Or between the motor's A2 (-) and A1 (+) terminals.
Charger unplugged from cart and switches set like cart was going to be driven.
Press pedal just far enough to make solenoid click and you ought to read full battery pack voltage (50.9V when fully charged).
If you don't, go looking for the missing voltage on the heavy cables.

If you do, press pedal and the voltage ought to decrease to near zero volts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TXT 48V TCT schematic .JPG (77.1 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 48V TXT Service Manual.pdf (4.28 MB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 03:12 PM   #4
Baymax198
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
The description for your cart that will identify it body type and drive system type is "2012 TXT48". That lets us know it has a plastic body with a sepex (separately excited) motor and controller that is power by a 48V battery pack.

The TXT48 replaced the PDS, which was a 36V sepex system.

---------
If the solenoid energizes and stays energized while the pedal is pressed, the problem is most likely in the high amp circuit. (Heavy cables, solenoid, motor and parts of controller, plus the throttle circuit)

Connect your DVM between the controller's B- and M- terminals. Or between the motor's A2 (-) and A1 (+) terminals.
Charger unplugged from cart and switches set like cart was going to be driven.
Press pedal just far enough to make solenoid click and you ought to read full battery pack voltage (50.9V when fully charged).
If you don't, go looking for the missing voltage on the heavy cables.

If you do, press pedal and the voltage ought to decrease to near zero volts.
Thanks for the help.

Turns out I have full power from the key all the way to the motor, which is reading zero. Ordered a new motor that should be here Friday or Saturday. My wallet is $700 lighter now 😔

Any recommendations for a future controller upgrade? I don’t need anything too special but I’m worried my stock controller won’t like the lift and tires over time.

Thanks,
Old 04-29-2020, 03:23 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks for the help.

Turns out I have full power from the key all the way to the motor, which is reading zero. Ordered a new motor that should be here Friday or Saturday. My wallet is $700 lighter now 😔

Any recommendations for a future controller upgrade? I don’t need anything too special but I’m worried my stock controller won’t like the lift and tires over time.

Thanks,
Wow! That is a quantum leap in troubleshooting.

Here is how to test a sepex motor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Motor Test - Sepex.jpg (91.7 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:53 PM   #6
LSUgoTIGER
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:

You didn't happen to get it from an auction out of Louisiana a few months back did you? Sounds almost just like mine...
LSUgoTIGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:16 PM   #7
Baymax198
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUgoTIGER View Post
You didn't happen to get it from an auction out of Louisiana a few months back did you? Sounds almost just like mine...
No sir. I got her from Indiana.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:19 PM   #8
Baymax198
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Wow! That is a quantum leap in troubleshooting.

Here is how to test a sepex motor.
I went with the admiral motor....was this a good call? Only using the cart for driving the roads in the neighborhood so I wasn’t going for crazy performance or anything. 8.5 horsepower feels like enough.

Tags
ezgo txt pds
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO