lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-17-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
bokeasmowl
friends call me Boke

Yamaha

Default electronic battery desulfator

Not necessarily an EZGO question, but since that's what I ride I'll put it here. Has anyone had any experience with one of these devices or is currently using one? I've done a little reading on them and if its true what they say its well worth the cost of one. I've read numerous testimonials about these things and they are nothing but rave reviews concerning them.
bokeasmowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
tcascario
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: electronic batter desulfator

There are many companies out there that flood the internet on all different sites with positive reviews for there product. They will go as far as to write articles for other sites about there own product as a review. I believe these companies are one of those but I could be wrong.
tcascario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
Ditchdigger
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: electronic battery desulfator

I actually bought one of these. The verdict is still out on it with me. I have tried it on several batteries including the ones on my carts and I have not had much success if any. The technology is sound, I do believe that.... However it's not a magic wand as they would like us to believe. Mine is currently hooked up to a couple of the batteries on my 24 volt Cushman which weak but still taking a charge. I'll have to see how it works on these.
This probably doesn't help you much to make your decision but I thought I'd share what I could with ya.
Ditchdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #4
Johno7656
Not Yet Wild

My personal experience. I got interested in this last year since I have a source for “dead” batteries from time to time. My goal was to be able to resurrect enough batteries to run the cart I was building. As it turned out, I was able to get a great deal on 4 Trojan T1260’s to power the cart so the project changed.

But to answer your question, yes, electronic desulfation can and does work. I was able to take 2, 6V golf cart batteries that only read 4V at the start of desulfation and when I finished, they tested as good mid-life batteries. Here is the link for my project http://leadacidbatterydesulfation.yu...tor-PCB-thread .

There are commercial units out there for sale; you are looking for something that provides at least a 50A pulse at around a 1K cycle rate. I would avoid the chemical products at they only cause the sulfate to drop to the bottom of the battery case and it does not get re-constituted back into the solution. Batteries such as golf cart batteries do better than car starting batteries due to the plate design. Also, if you are working on really dead batteries like I am, expect only about a 50% success ratio. Your best candidates would be golf cart batteries that are weak, but can still hold somewhat of a charge and have been properly maintained over their life. John
Johno7656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
dagrad
Not Yet Wild

If you are responsible and charge your golf cart whenever it sits idle.....a desulfator is a WASTE OF MONEY!
dagrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
Ditchdigger
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchdigger View Post
I actually bought one of these. The verdict is still out on it with me. I have tried it on several batteries including the ones on my carts and I have not had much success if any. The technology is sound, I do believe that.... However it's not a magic wand as they would like us to believe. Mine is currently hooked up to a couple of the batteries on my 24 volt Cushman which weak but still taking a charge. I'll have to see how it works on these.
This probably doesn't help you much to make your decision but I thought I'd share what I could with ya.
Just thought I'd put a follow up: I actually was able to get these batteries back to a respectable level. They did not come back as far as I would have liked but they are holding enough to power the cart. When I started they were all reading around 4 volts after charging. Now, they are all above 6.4.
Ditchdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:37 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

In theory, both chemical additives and electronic desulfators appear to have merit, but in practice, I believe that prevention is the best cure.

The chemical additives erode the sulfated surface of the plates, exposing the active material underneath. The eroded material, which is conductive, settles to the bottom of the cell and may create shorts between the plates if agitated.

The electronic desulfators convert the lead sulfate that is in the transitional phase between amorphous (soft) and crystalline (hard) back into lead (negative plate), lead dioxide (positive plate) and sulfuric acid. However, once all the lead sulfate in the transitional phase is depleted, the plate surface begins to erode mechanically, forming a conductive sludge that settles to the bottom of the cell.

Ironically, if the battery had been kept fully charged except while in actual use, there would be little, if any, lead sulfate in the transitional phase, so the electronic desulfator wouldn't have anything to recover and would only erode the plates and increase the potential for shorted cells.

On other words, the reason an electronic desulfator may increase a battery's storage capacity is because it wasn't being kept fully charged and the sad truth is that most battery chargers do not fully charge batteries.

By definition, a lead-acid wet-cell is fully charged when the Specific Gravity (SG) of the electrolyte ceases to rise while a charging current is passing through it. Since the cell's open circuit terminal voltage tracks the SG of the electrolyte (VPC = SG + 0.845), VPC (Volts per Cell) also ceases to rise when the cell is fully charged.

Since determining when the voltage ceased to rise was next to impossible to do before microprocessors came into being, the first automatic chargers simply used a predetermined voltage to terminate the charge cycle. I'm not sure how those voltages were determined, but it is most likely a statistical average based on testing by battery manufacturers, whose livelihood is based on selling batteries. Those same voltages are being used by many, if not most, of the chargers on the market today.

I use chargers that measure dV/dT (Change in Voltage over Change in Time) to terminate the charge and then goes into a float charge mode to maintain the fully charged state.

------------
FWIW: You can get good "rejuvunation" results by just repeatedly charging and recharging with little or no discharging, using an ordinary battery charger. I used a PW II that came with my cart to rejuvenate the batteries that came with my cart.

---------
Bottomline: If your batteries are sick, an electronic desulfator may improve them, but an ordinary charger might work as well if it is done right.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I have a friend that used one and swore by it. Mere months later, he's in the market for new batteries.

Just one data point.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:36 AM   #9
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

FWIW, I got nine years to the month outta mine, with good practices.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #10
the_freshmaker5
Not Yet Wild

how much would you sell one of these for already assembled? Also I have 6 8v trojan's, are you guys saying that i should have the cart plugged in at all time when im not driving it? If my charge is half full it seems like it takes a few hours before it even starts to charge. One time i plugged it in for two hours to give me a lil juice before the night started and it didnt get me any more charge at all.
the_freshmaker5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO