lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
svmoore
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EZGO will not go!! Need help

97 txt with Trojan batteries less than 3 years old. Recently replaced hubs and brakes. Battery pack is checking at 37.6 and each battery is at 6.3 fully charged. The cart still will not climb an incline. It makes a whining noise and comes to a crawl, when you let off the gas pedal to climb the incline! Any help is appreciated!!! I plan on taking this cart while still building my gas Yamaha on our trip in a couple weeks...
svmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-12-2013, 07:16 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO will not go!! Need help

37.6V is only 83% charged. (38.2V is fully charged)

I'm not sure what you mean by: "It makes a whining noise and comes to a crawl, when you let off the gas pedal to climb the incline!" since the typical response is to push the pedal down further when climbing an incline.

What on-charge voltage does the pack reach before the charger shuts off? (Should be about 45V for a 36V battery pack)

What is the pack voltage (with pedal to the metal) when it slows to a crawl on an incline?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
svmoore
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

What I would call whining is more like a growling noise, sounds like it could be from the motor. I replaced the hubs after others said that's what it could be. The cart is fine on flat land, but will not climb any kind of incline. As for voltage when operating, I will have to get back to you, I have a factory bar style battery meter.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The splines on the motor output shaft and/or differential input shaft could be stripped. (The motor shaft couples to the differential shaft the same way the hubs couple to the axles.)

Does it sound like the motor is slipping, or does the pitch of the sound more or less match the speed of the cart?

----------
The LED bar-graph meters tell more lies than politicians.
If you plan on keeping the cart, install a DVM type.
Here is what I use: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Digita...ry_Meters.html
Old 05-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
svmoore
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I can't tell a difference in the sound pitch, and not sure if the motor is stripped or not. Is there a simple test to prove if it is indeed the spline on the output shaft ?
Old 05-13-2013, 03:25 AM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I guess you could try pushing the pedal to the floor while braking hard. As far as the motor/differential is concerned, it should feel the same as climbing a hill.

Not sure what else you could do, other than maybe try this on jack stands. If the motor makes noise but the wheels don't turn, you've confirmed your suspicion.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #7
svmoore
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

So try putting the rear on stands and put the voltmeter to the battery pack, at full throttle? Would that help to get the right volt readings?
Old 05-14-2013, 05:08 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

What yurtle described is a mechanical test rather than electrical.

The motor should be stalled with the brakes on, and the current flow will be huge, so don't push on throttle for more than a second or you might burn out the motor and/or controller and/or other stuff.

If you hear a grinding sound, the splines between the motor and differential shaft are stripped.

---------
For the voltage readings, attach a handheld voltmeter to the main battery terminals with clip leads and have someone hold/read the meter while someone else drives the cart up a hill.
The voltage during the actual failure mode is needed rather than the voltage during an artificially created failure.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #9
svmoore
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Guess I need a complete motor then? I had it on jack stands and ran it 3/4 open and the same noise as I was hearing on an incline.

Looked around, seems motor is cheaper than what I was expecting considering I feared the batteries were junk worst case. Replace with stock motor or go bigger? I use this cart for camping and light trails thru the night after a few...
Old 05-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #10
svmoore
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Forgot to mention, the wheels did spin in my test but I heard the same noise.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO