lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-09-2013, 08:32 AM   #1
jblank
Not Yet Wild

Default Voltage reducer for 12 marine stereo?

I'm about to install a 12 volt marine stereo in my 36 volt 2008 EZGO Textron. I have looked around an seen a number of ways these are wired. I think it would be ideal for the stereo to only cut on when the ignition is on (like a car) so my kids don't accidentally leave it on and kill the batteries. Can someone give me a simple schematic for:
1. Wiring to get 12 volts - I know my lights have a voltage reducer/transformer with a fuse. I believe I can get one of these from AutoZone etc... but I have seen where some just wire the pos to pos of a battery, then to neg of the second battery in the series to get 12 volts. Best way? Schematic?
2. Hooking to ignition to only permit use when key is on.

Any help appreciated.
jblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
Jerj7907
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Voltage reducer for 12 marine stereo?

Not sure exactly what you are talking about with Auto Zone but you have 3 options.
1. Isolate 2 batteries if you have 6 6 volt batteries and wire up accessories. Warning this is the cheap route up front and will cause the 2 isolated batteries to discharge uneven from the others and you are asking for problems.
2. Get a small 12 volt battery and run all accessories off of it, but you will have to remember to charge the extra battery with an independent battery charger.
3. This is what I did btw but purchase a voltage reducer that will hook to batteries and give you a 12 volt output for accessories. This will keep all 6 batteries balanced and happy and you don't have to worry about a 7th battery charging it and weight. I purchased mine from Golf Cart King a sponsor on here who had the best price when I searched.

Many people debate which is better option 2 or 3 that I stated and both are good options based on what you are comfortable with. I would also wire a separate switch for accessories and not mess with the factory wiring harness to find a switch source. I have read where many people have fried controllers and electronics doing this, just a precaution. I wired a switch next to headlight switch and have not had an issue with walking away and leaving accessories on and have 2 younger children as well.
Jerj7907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
crash test dummy

click link ---> http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...o-install.html

it has what your looking for
Old 06-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
Jerj7907
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Not sure if you are interested but I am real happy with my setup and do not have the bulky radio as I always listen to phone any ways. Here is a link of my setup and build.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ier-setup.html
Jerj7907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO