lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-29-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
sparkync1
Not Yet Wild

Default question about control box on ez-go txt

i just replaced the control box and solenoid on my ez-go txt 36 volt the old solenoid got so hot it burned the terminal out of it ....well all have been replaced except new wires the crimp connections seemed tight so i assumed they were still good after replacing everything and taking a few laps around the yard i felt the wires on top of control box and they were pretty warm is this normal ?? thanks for any input guys
sparkync1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: question about control box on ez-go txt

Welcome to BGW!

None of the cables should get more than about 10°F above ambient air temperature.
If they are getting hotter than that and the connections are clean and properly tightened, the cables are either bad or undersized for your application.

All the high current cables should be 4Ga or heavier.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

sparky, Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to BGW. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, wive's, husbands, girlfirends and boyfriends here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkync1 View Post
i just replaced the control box and solenoid on my ez-go txt 36 volt the old solenoid got so hot it burned the terminal out of it ....well all have been replaced except new wires the crimp connections seemed tight so i assumed they were still good after replacing everything and taking a few laps around the yard i felt the wires on top of control box and they were pretty warm is this normal ?? thanks for any input guys
I melted the inside of two stock solenoids before upgrading to a HD one, that's available for sale since I upgraded to 48 volts. I had a stock controller and stock tires, but drove for a long time with three passengers up some pretty steep hills. If you have a rear seat and/or larger than stock tires, you're stressing it more than it was designed for.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
sparkync1
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Welcome to BGW!

None of the cables should get more than about 10°F above ambient air temperature.
If they are getting hotter than that and the connections are clean and properly tightened, the cables are either bad or undersized for your application.

All the high current cables should be 4Ga or heavier.
thanks johnnie they are pretty warm i'd say warmer than 10 degrees than air temp. they are the factory cables i'm not sure what size they are
Old 06-29-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
sparkync1
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
I melted the inside of two stock solenoids before upgrading to a HD one, that's available for sale since I upgraded to 48 volts. I had a stock controller and stock tires, but drove for a long time with three passengers up some pretty steep hills. If you have a rear seat and/or larger than stock tires, you're stressing it more than it was designed for.
tires are 22 x 11 x 8 no backseat and usually on pretty flat ground usually me thw wife six year old son 47lbs and 1 year daughter about 25lbs
Old 06-29-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

It depends on the year, but OEM cables tend to be 6Ga and with 22" tall tires, you definitely need heavier cables.

All high current cables (13 for a series cart - 10 for a DCS or PDS) should be 4Ga minimum for stock controllers up through 400A controllers and 2Ga minimum for 500A and above.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:34 PM   #8
sparkync1
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
It depends on the year, but OEM cables tend to be 6Ga and with 22" tall tires, you definitely need heavier cables.

All high current cables (13 for a series cart - 10 for a DCS or PDS) should be 4Ga minimum for stock controllers up through 400A controllers and 2Ga minimum for 500A and above.
thanks johnnie i just circled the yard twice and cables are HOT HOT !!! where do i get a set of wires and what do i type in to search for them how do i know if series DCS or PDS
Old 06-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Here is where I got my cables: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter..._Upgrades.html

If there is a Run/Tow switch on the controller cover, it is a DCS ('95-'99) or PDS (2000-on).

If you enter your serial number on the EZGO look-up website and it will tell you how the cart left the factory.
http://www.shopezgo.com/customer-ser...ialNumber.html
Old 06-29-2013, 03:50 PM   #10
sparkync1
Not Yet Wild

well wires it is i'm gonna order a complete set prob 4 Ga. do you think thats big enough ??
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO