lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-03-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
TexasDave
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 96 medalist series reverse

1996 ez go medalist series cart, forward works fine but when reverse is engaged and I depress the accelator, I only hear clicking. Through other treads I have learned that it isn't the reed switch. Thanks Johnnyb. I believe that my next step is to break out the Dvm and check micro switch?
TexasDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 96 medalist series reverse

It runs fine forward but doesn't move in reverse.
You hear the solenoid clicking in reverse.
That narrows it down to the F/R switch contacts not making contact when the lever is in the R position.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #3
Knothead
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

JohnnieB, could there also be a problem with the S1 or S2 wire (whichever one is telling motor to reverse)? Just thinking out loud.....
Knothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knothead View Post
JohnnieB, could there also be a problem with the S1 or S2 wire (whichever one is telling motor to reverse)? Just thinking out loud.....
No, not likely. (But with electric carts, darn near anything is possible. )

Both S1 & S2 cables are used in both F and R. The only difference is the direction of current flow through them.
It is more or less the same with the same with the contacts in the F/R switch. All four sets of contact are used in F and R, but which movable contact touches which stationary contact changes.

If the cam the movable contacts are on is warped, they may not make good contact in the F or R position.
Also, if the direction selection lever isn't rotating the cam to the F or R stop fully, it might work in one direction, but not the other.
Same with burnt contacts.

Here is a drawing of a series wound motor's high current loop reduced to its simplest form. All the amps go through everything equally and every component is use in either direction.

So if the solenoid clicks in both directions, but cart only moves in one direction, there is most likely a mechanical problem with the F/R switch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hi Current Circuit - Series Motor -simplified.JPG (50.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #5
TexasDave
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you gents,

Update, I was working the f/r action watching the contact and learning where they are supposed to make contact. I also cleaned off any dust debris that has built up. In doing so I had the lever in the reverse position and heard a spark and saw a little smoke coming from the back of the f/r switch toward the bottom. I looked for scorched wire or any evidence of the spark. Could not locate the issue, forward still works like previous and solenoid still clicks. Does this tell anything.
TexasDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Your F/R switch is 17 years old and failing, so it is probably worn out, or close to it.
On a newer cart you might have gotten away with just replacing the Cam, but on a cart that age, I'd replace the entire assembly and be done with it for another 17 years or more.

If you suspect you may upgrade the cart (IE: Taller tires and/or higher amps controller.), put a heavy-duty F/R switch in it.
For example: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/F_R_Switch_Upgrades.html

Tags
clicking but nothing, fnr, reverse only
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO