lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-07-2013, 12:38 AM   #1
RitchCraft
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Question Personality Plug Questions

Ok, being an electronics tinkerer, and needing a freedom personality plug, I got to thinking (I know). Looking at pictures of personality plugs on-line I have concluded the following:

- Red - Freedom, no braking, 18+ MPH
- Blue - Steep hill
- Yellow - Mild hill
- None - Default all terrain

These things appear to be simply plugs wired up as switches using wire loops. So, back to my thinking, I thought I could get one, cut the wires and wire up a switch bank on the dash to switch between the four modes.

But ...

All the pictures on the net appear to show the red and blue plugs wired exactly the same?? Can someone who owns both a blue and red verify this for me? If this is the case (both wired the same) then how the heck does the controller distinguish between these two plugs? Are the lengths of the wires different and the controller uses the difference in resistance to distinguish between them (which would be minimal to non-existant)? Perhaps the wire has a built in resistance rated at a certain ohm?

This sounds like such an obvious thing to do, create a master switch to select any one of the four personality modes. Why hasn't it been done? Is there something I'm missing here?
RitchCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-07-2013, 04:00 AM   #2
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Personality Plug Questions

None of the chips are wired the same. You can however use the freedom chip, cut and extend the wires to a switch and have whichever mode you desire. You will have to cycle the tow/run switch to activate each mode though. You should wait 30 seconds after cycling the switch to run before you turn the key on also.

Unless you live in hilly terrain or will have a young driver from time to time I'd just stick with freedom chip alone.

Pictures and specs for each chip attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chip wiring.jpg (83.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg chip wiring2.jpg (40.6 KB, 0 views)
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:03 AM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitchCraft View Post
This sounds like such an obvious thing to do, create a master switch to select any one of the four personality modes. Why hasn't it been done? Is there something I'm missing here?
Many have discussed this, so I would think at least one has been done before. I'm a Series guy, so I didn't really pay too much attention, but I think I remember a post about two toggles on the dash, one for run/tow, and the other for changing modes. The only thing that might be a problem is a passenger flipping while driving.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:07 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

When I was running a stock PDS controller, I put a switch in the jumper wire between pins 1 & 5, giving me the choice of the Freedom and Mild Hill modes.

I just Ty-wrapped the switch to one of the heavy cables since I didn't want to remote the Run/Tow switch, and had to lift the seat to change modes.

You have a 2009 PDS, so you might have a controller that will change modes without cycling the Run/Tow switch. So check it out before remoting the Run/Tow if you decide to go the dash mounted switch route.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
patgrim00
Gone Wild

Back when I was looking for a chip for mine there was a guy on eBay selling a harness to do just what you are talking about it was like 40 bucks iirc
patgrim00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
RitchCraft
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok, thanks guys. I figured there had to be something wrong with the pics I'm seeing on the net.

Thanks for the chart sportcoupe!
Old 08-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #7
RitchCraft
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Talking Re: Personality Plug Questions

YEEEEEEHAWWWWW !!!!

I picked up a freedom personality plug today and holy smokes, the cart flies! Best $8.00 I've ever spent, LOL. The wife followed me in the car around the block and I'm moving at just shy of 20MPH. 21" tires here I come and that'll be the end of my speed quest.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:58 AM   #8
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You may (or will) have rubbing issues on a non-lifted cart running 21" tires. Max tire size on non-lifted cart is 20" and that's if your springs are in good condition.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:22 AM   #9
redking
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Exactly what carts will these personality plugs work on?
redking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:54 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by redking View Post
Exactly what carts will these personality plugs work on?
EZGO 36V PDS carts (and any other carts) that use a Curtis 1206MX controller.

The 48V PDS and PDS II and other variations may have personality modes, but they are changed via a handheld programming device.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO