lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-20-2014, 07:04 PM   #1
Who is John Galt?
Not Yet Wild

Default 12 Volt vs. 8 Volt Batteries

Hello. I just purchased a 1985 EZ GO Marathon and I am converting it to 48 Volts. I'm thinking of using 4 12 volt batteries instead of 6 8 volt batteries for two reasons:
1- I can shave about 130lbs. off the cart (that already weighs almost a half a ton.)
2- Cost!
Any thought or advise?
Thanks in advance
Who is John Galt? is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-20-2014, 07:11 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 12 Volt vs. 8 Volt Batteries

If max range, and max battery lifespan are not your primary concerns, than it might be ok for you. FWIW, 12v (t-1275 and similar) do not like the bigger 25 amp chargers, so take that into consideration when choosing a charger if you go that route. I, personally wouldnt do it, because the 12v golf batteries dont seem to live longer than 5 years, if that long.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:47 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who is John Galt? View Post
Hello. I just purchased a 1985 EZ GO Marathon and I am converting it to 48 Volts. I'm thinking of using 4 12 volt batteries instead of 6 8 volt batteries for two reasons:
1- I can shave about 130lbs. off the cart (that already weighs almost a half a ton.)
2- Cost!
Any thought or advise?
Thanks in advance
I believe you are either being overly optimistic on weight savings, or looking at 12V car batteries rather than 12V deep-cycle batteries, which is even a worse choice.

Trojan batteries are pretty much the de facto standard for cart batteries and to compare apples to apples, I'll use them to illustrate.
T-105 (6V-225AH-62lbs) is what the standard 36V pack is and six of them weigh 372 lbs.
T-875 (8V-170AH-63lbs) Six of them produces a 48V pack that has roughly the same range and longevity as the standard 36V pack and weighs 378lbs
T-1275 (12V-140AH-82lbs) is the highest AH 12V cart battery Trojan makes and four of them weigh 328lbs.

Weight saving using four T-1275 vs using six T-875 batteries is only 50lbs, while the loss in range and longevity is 11.8%.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:53 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The 6/8v are the preferred pack for 48v operation in these carts. These batteries drop in the original racks. No modification is required and they are about 130-150 pounds lighter than going with 8/6v batteries.

As mentioned the average life span of 12v batts is 4 years. So operating cost is 20% higher.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:17 PM   #5
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

RXV tech here---

********** WARNING: OPINION ZONE ***************
I would not even consider Trojan 12v batteries. (High failure rate with RXV's)

Batteries pretty much shot in 4 years - or less if "Automatic watering" system was used on them. check BGW thread something like "rxv brake problems III" I don't remember the exact thread name.

We use crown batteries - 12v have fewer failures -- they still don't last much more than 4 years

stick with 6/8s or 8/6s you will be much happier.

I agree with JohnnieB Not much weight savings !
scottyb has good solution to save weight w/o causing reliability issues...

*********** end opinion zone ************

Some RXV owners are ditching the 12v's and using 8v's because of 12v problems.
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO