lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-01-2021, 02:13 PM   #1
Booshy68
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO TXT to Lithium batterys?? What battery do I buy or build????

Hi Everyone new member here. Been reading the forum for years. Decided to join so I could sort out my battery's issues. I am hoping I can get some thoughts and opinions here. I apologize in advance for the long post.

I have two nice EZGO TXTs I use out at the river. They sit in my hot garage when we are not there so I am sure this evaporates the water in the battery's and does not help with battery life. When we arrive with family and friends we just want them to work!

I recently read about lithium battery's and was reading here on the forum about the Nissan leaf packs. Being pretty mechanical I figured maybe I could build a couple of packs and find the battery's from a source online. I also read some threads on another forum and many people were talking about a few "turn key" packs from different company's. One of those company's was Tech Direct Club. They sold the leaf packs as well as a complete battery in a box with an Anderson connection. He also mentioned the the leaf batterys were becoming hard to get. I ended up buying two of his 48v A123 LifePo4 5kWh 120Ah Battery Golf Cart With 130A BMS 120a Breaker LED.

To make a long story short I trusted what he said and assumed these were good lithium packs for my carts. I also read about this company from other members on another forum.

One cart has a stock controller. It ran great and we couldn't believe how fast it was out of the gate. But soon realized the pack was good for maybe 3 to 5 miles. So No bueno!

My large limo cart has a Alltrax controller and larger motor. So it pulls some big amps (400+ amps) as soon as we push the throttle it would pop the BMS. So another fail!!! I ended up bypassing the BMS just so we has something to move us for this memorial weekend trip. The cart was also good for a few miles.

So I don't know what to do. I would like to buy some battery's that work when I need them to I would also like them to last for 5+ years. I don't mind spending some $ but also don't want to be silly with my $. Whats the best solution out there. I see several threads with different ideas but haven't found what people say is the best or better solution out there.

If you can point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it . Thanks in advance for your help and thoughts.

B
Booshy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2021, 07:36 PM   #2
grtskydog
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO Lithium batterys?? What battery do I buy or build????

Watching. Thinking of going LiFePo4 as well.
grtskydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 08:38 AM   #3
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Here is a good thread for drop ins:
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=173142

Problem with Roypow is they sell thru distributors (cart shops) and some shops are not well versed on lithium as others. Lot of people use the other 2 because they are in USA and they have excellent customer service before and after sale.
Give Evolution and Extreme team a call and discuss your needs, I'm sure they will clarify and make you what you need.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 12:37 PM   #4
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hm, sounds like the 120 amp hour pack you received isn't really 120 amp hours. The issue with Leaf cells is that they are a crap shoot as to what capacity is left in them unless someone actually measures the remaining capacity. My pack is (on paper) 94 amp hours. I really do not know how much capacity the pack truly has, but I have no issues going a dozen or more miles.

I used Chevy Volt cells, but that doesn't really matter because if you had Leaf Cells with their capacity left in them it'd be just as good as any other cell.

Also, when measuring capacity see what the voltage limits are. I saw two different resellers online that measured the remaining capacity. One measured from 4.2v down to 2.5v and the other measured from 4.15v down to 3.0v. The latter is much closer to actual usage and doesn't stress the battery nearly as much as the first method.

If you are hands on, you can buy new cells and build your own or buy used cells. Just make sure they still have good capacity left.

--- edit ---
I don't remember what year Chevy Volt I used, but I got the batteries and was too scared to make the change for another 6 months. In that time they sat in my garage and didn't loose .01v. Then in August or September I made swap and installed them into my cart and they've been great since then.

I have travelled 11 miles recently, the pack wasn't fully charged when I started and it is down to 51.2v so it is nearing the point where I'll recharge it just because. But I'll run the pack down to 49V without concern. I tell the kids if the cart reaches 48.0V then they had better be in the driveway pulling up to the charger... I have the cart set to stop moving at 45.5V.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 09:15 AM   #5
superfan86
Getting Wild
Club Car

Bumping his thread.

I just went with a RoyPow 36v conversion. S38105 unit. We are fortunate to have a really great local dealer here that specializes in EVs and other batteries, so knowing I have local support and warranty was important. They also had everything in stock.

I opted for a DIY install. Kept the factory plug and bought the adapter for the new charger.

Total price was just under $1800 for the charger, 105 pack, EZGO charge adapter, and all the hardware.

I'm getting about 40-50 miles of range at 17mph and the reduced weight really makes the cart a pleasure to drive. Absolutely worth the cost.

A friend of mine just had the 48v 56 pack installed and they are also extremely happy. They are getting about 40 miles of range with that smaller pack on flat paved roads

FYI, the shop said that a new brand that uses Lithium Ion based cells is hitting shelves soon and they will be geared towards the more performance oriented market. Well beyond my needs, but interesting to see this market evolve.
superfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 03:02 PM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

IMO Lithium Ion is much better! I won't buy anything else. I'm sure that there will be better options by the time I need to replace my Leaf packs in my two carts.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 05:39 PM   #7
Booshy68
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
Hm, sounds like the 120 amp hour pack you received isn't really 120 amp hours. The issue with Leaf cells is that they are a crap shoot as to what capacity is left in them unless someone actually measures the remaining capacity. My pack is (on paper) 94 amp hours. I really do not know how much capacity the pack truly has, but I have no issues going a dozen or more miles.

I used Chevy Volt cells, but that doesn't really matter because if you had Leaf Cells with their capacity left in them it'd be just as good as any other cell.

Also, when measuring capacity see what the voltage limits are. I saw two different resellers online that measured the remaining capacity. One measured from 4.2v down to 2.5v and the other measured from 4.15v down to 3.0v. The latter is much closer to actual usage and doesn't stress the battery nearly as much as the first method.

If you are hands on, you can buy new cells and build your own or buy used cells. Just make sure they still have good capacity left.

--- edit ---
I don't remember what year Chevy Volt I used, but I got the batteries and was too scared to make the change for another 6 months. In that time they sat in my garage and didn't loose .01v. Then in August or September I made swap and installed them into my cart and they've been great since then.

I have travelled 11 miles recently, the pack wasn't fully charged when I started and it is down to 51.2v so it is nearing the point where I'll recharge it just because. But I'll run the pack down to 49V without concern. I tell the kids if the cart reaches 48.0V then they had better be in the driveway pulling up to the charger... I have the cart set to stop moving at 45.5V.

That is what I was thinking. BUT I didn't go with a leaf pack! I went to the vender to talk about the leaf packs he sold and then he explained he wasn't offering them anymore due to issues and availability. What he sold me was supposedly a brand new pack that he assembled and built.

I was hoping to post a link to the pack but looks like he does not offer it anymore.

I just called Extreme Team and will see what they offer for my stock 36 volt TXT and high amp draw limo TXT cart.
Old 06-23-2021, 05:42 PM   #8
Booshy68
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfan86 View Post
Bumping his thread.

I just went with a RoyPow 36v conversion. S38105 unit. We are fortunate to have a really great local dealer here that specializes in EVs and other batteries, so knowing I have local support and warranty was important. They also had everything in stock.

I opted for a DIY install. Kept the factory plug and bought the adapter for the new charger.

Total price was just under $1800 for the charger, 105 pack, EZGO charge adapter, and all the hardware.

I'm getting about 40-50 miles of range at 17mph and the reduced weight really makes the cart a pleasure to drive. Absolutely worth the cost.

A friend of mine just had the 48v 56 pack installed and they are also extremely happy. They are getting about 40 miles of range with that smaller pack on flat paved roads

FYI, the shop said that a new brand that uses Lithium Ion based cells is hitting shelves soon and they will be geared towards the more performance oriented market. Well beyond my needs, but interesting to see this market evolve.

Thanks Superfan. I just asked my local Cart Mart to quote be for a S38105 and see what they say. That cart is the one my daughters drive around and its pretty much a stock TXT with some larger wheels.
Old 06-26-2021, 01:23 PM   #9
superfan86
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booshy68 View Post
Thanks Superfan. I just asked my local Cart Mart to quote be for a S38105 and see what they say. That cart is the one my daughters drive around and its pretty much a stock TXT with some larger wheels.
That's all mine is too. Larger wheels and rear seats.

Our family is still loving the conversion. We are charging about once a week and drive it for about an hour a day. The torque availability is really nice. We have 1 long hill to climb to the garden and it just takes it like we are on flat ground.

Our dealer said that we should expect 10-15 years without significant degradation of we try to keep the charge between 20-90%. So far that's been fault simple. Just plug in for 30min-1hr when it gets to about 4 bars.

We did push it to the absolute limit on Tuesday. Ran it totally dead. It gives a warning at 20% and another at 10%. But runs at full power till it just flat shuts off.

Pretty awesome, but respect that battery bar lol.
superfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 11:04 AM   #10
Booshy68
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfan86 View Post
That's all mine is too. Larger wheels and rear seats.

Our family is still loving the conversion. We are charging about once a week and drive it for about an hour a day. The torque availability is really nice. We have 1 long hill to climb to the garden and it just takes it like we are on flat ground.

Our dealer said that we should expect 10-15 years without significant degradation of we try to keep the charge between 20-90%. So far that's been fault simple. Just plug in for 30min-1hr when it gets to about 4 bars.

We did push it to the absolute limit on Tuesday. Ran it totally dead. It gives a warning at 20% and another at 10%. But runs at full power till it just flat shuts off.

Pretty awesome, but respect that battery bar lol.

Cart Mart in San Marcos CA. Quoted me List price of $2750.00
Where did you get yours if you dont mind me asking for $1800 with charger? Maybe they will drop ship?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO