lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-19-2022, 06:27 AM   #1
Zisker
Not Yet Wild

Question Complete Restore of 1999 EZGO TXT Shuttle

Hello BGW, I recently purchased a 1999 EZGO TXT electric 6 passenger shuttle. I am doing a complete restoration from the bare frame up. I have done a good amount of research and talked to a couple of my local experts about restoration plans. The current brakes on the golf cart are on a 5 lug axle with hydraulic torque spider brakes and is not in great condition. I have talked to some local cart experts and they say that they can be cleaned up and restored but it's about a 50/50 chance they will leak or not. They recommend me switching out the rear axle for a normal electric 4 lug TXT axle, I will also need to find and mount brake cables long enough and install a normal txt brake pedal. Would you recommend switching out the rear axle? I have also been considering of converting my 3 bolt steering to 4 bolt steering but I'm not sure if it's needed. This cart will be my family friendly cart and only to put a 4 inch lift at most. This cart will only be operated on streets.
Zisker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-19-2022, 06:43 AM   #2
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Complete Restore of 1999 EZGO TXT Shuttle

No need for the 4 bolt column change, there is nothing wrong with the older style steering. In fact I preferred it over the newer style. A small lift is simple if you can find an earlier ST style axle and spindles, everything would match up nicely, although the kits would be just as good. then if you take a look at how the rear lift is done it is easy to replicate with simple parts, but again, a kit is easier. You would need to find one for a pre 2001 model and it should bolt right up.

If you wanted to change to a 4 bolt column, you are looking at modifying the frame to support the column and changing the entire front end components including the springs. About the only parts to re use here would be the shocks if i recall correctly.

I am not sure if you would need to swap out the entire rear axle to change to 4 lug wheels. I think you can swap over the back plates and drums from the other models and add cables etc. Someone else will call me out on this I am sure.
Front end I think you can just change out the hubs to four lug. This will give you way more options on nice wheels.

I may have made some errors but with a bit more input from other members, it should be easily doable.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:54 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I have a 2001 year same model. We daily this cart in the shipping and receiving dept. I have never had any trouble with the stock brakes in over 10 years of service. I would leave them alone and concentrate on other work to be done.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 04:31 PM   #4
michaelmiller100
Not Yet Wild

What did you end up doing? I just purchased a 2000 shuttle and am running into the same problem with the brakes. Bled them and they get pressure but nothing when it gets to the drum.
michaelmiller100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 05:05 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmiller100 View Post
What did you end up doing? I just purchased a 2000 shuttle and am running into the same problem with the brakes. Bled them and they get pressure but nothing when it gets to the drum.
If you are getting a good pedal and no air at the bleeder it is likely that the shoes are worn beyond service limits. Meaning they are moving out all they system can move them and they are not contacting the drum solidly...taped out on travel.
I would look into that possibility.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 09:52 PM   #6
michaelmiller100
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, just ordered the bendix torque spider part for each side. One was trying to push out but had a slow leak, the other didnt move at all.
michaelmiller100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, ezgo, restoration, shuttle, txt
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO