lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-23-2023, 11:06 AM   #21
nutsehc
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Eco battery 48v 105 AH upgrade - 2013 DS IQ

I just make a jumper from solid wire and bend it to fit the holes where the blue and white wires are in the connector plug and then shrink wrap it in place. Simple and Clean.
nutsehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-23-2023, 11:06 AM   #22
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I'm not crazy about the Alltrax power connections but I have never had a problem with them. Yes - I believe that the hardware that comes with Alltrax is stainless.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 11:12 AM   #23
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
I'm not crazy about the Alltrax power connections but I have never had a problem with them. Yes - I believe that the hardware that comes with Alltrax is stainless.
yeah if it works, it works, just seems counterproductive to use stainless here..

I had an issue with a kit car years ago which caused all sorts of electrical and hot starting issues.. Turns out the guy who built most of the car before I bought it and finished it, used stainless hardware for the main ground connection point to the chassis thinking it would be better to fight off corrosion... it was. It was also better and restricting the flow of current.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 11:43 AM   #24
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Not sure what the terminals are made out of on the Alltrax. I think they are nickel plated. I think they are too flexible to be stainless. The hardware is less important than the terminals for a good connection but it still plays a role.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 11:48 AM   #25
bwc_oh33
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Eco battery 48v 105 AH upgrade - 2013 DS IQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
looks like the 2/0 awg welding cable I used which is rated for around 300-350 amps. It should be plenty for the 500a controller being it wont see heavy amp loads for long continuous periods. at least that was my thoughts.. especially since my old stock series motor is technically only rated for 77amps in my case:)
From what iveboth seen and read the biggest issues are typically the connection points at the terminal ends.
I chose to use an antioxidant electrical paste for my terminal connectors and connection points to help prevent the oxidation and poor contact that often results in higher resistance and wasted heat energy down the road.. hopefully it works.

I do find it strange that alltrax chooses such a thin conductor plate for the connection and that they use stainless terminal hardware which is a very poor conductor (or at least my used alltrax came with stainless bolts) can anyone confirm if the stainless bolts came from alltrax or if the previous owner added them to my controller? Both the used alltrax controllers ive purchased use this stainless hardware so I think it came that way.

I read your thread regarding your lifepo4 cells and saw that paste you used ( that thread also inspired me to build a small lifepo4 pack for my Fish finder and led bar on my jon boat). I am probably going to order that and use for my main battery connections. Would you also use this on controller and motor connections? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bwc_oh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 11:49 AM   #26
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Not sure what the terminals are made out of on the Alltrax. I think they are nickel plated. I think they are too flexible to be stainless. The hardware is less important than the terminals for a good connection but it still plays a role.
True. The plate is tin or nickel coated copper (I know this because I accidentally sanded into the copper slightly on one of them when cleaning them up on my used controller.)

I recently seen a you tube video where a single stainless washer found its way between a bus bar and the retaining nut on a lifepo4 pack and what the thermal impact was with a thermal heat camera. I was very surprised how much resistance it caused. enough to mess up the balance of the cells as well.
Old 02-23-2023, 11:54 AM   #27
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwc_oh33 View Post
I read your thread regarding your lifepo4 cells and saw that paste you used ( that thread also inspired me to build a small lifepo4 pack for my Fish finder and led bar on my jon boat). I am probably going to order that and use for my main battery connections. Would you also use this on controller and motor connections? Thanks!

I did use it on those connections yes.
I have found through research that many electricians use it when connecting breakers and locking down wiring screw terminals.
Old 02-23-2023, 11:59 AM   #28
bwc_oh33
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
I did use it on those connections yes.
I have found through research that many electricians use it when connecting breakers and locking down wiring screw terminals.

Excellent- I'll go back and add some when it comes in

Old 02-24-2023, 11:00 AM   #29
bwc_oh33
Getting Wild

Club Car

She's arrived! Unfortunately it's pretty cold here in Ohio today. So going to bring it inside and let it warm up before I hook up the charger.

Old 02-24-2023, 11:15 AM   #30
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I dunno what part of Ohio your at (and don't disclose your address) but I'm in Pa just east of Pittsburgh. Yesterday....man....it was 70!! Today.....not so much.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car