lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-05-2023, 11:33 PM   #1
Jgoff72
Not Yet Wild

Default Club car DS 36v resistor cart lithium conversion

I have a 1999 club car ds 36v resistor cart that needs batteries. At some point down the road I am going to convert it to a solid state controller. I was wondering if anyone has ever built a 36v Nissan leaf pack. I’ve found a decent deal on gen 1 Nissan leaf modules and I also found this bms/buss bar setup:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114380512819

If anyone has anyone insight on 36v Nissan leaf pack I would appreciate it.
Jgoff72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-06-2023, 12:09 AM   #2
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Club car DS 36v resistor cart lithium conversion

I've built a 48v and 72v, but not a 36v. You'll need 5 modules for 36v but the bus bar and BMS you linked to above may not be adequate for your setup. It's only rated at 60A continuous which is nowhere near enough for a 36v cart. You'll need twice that.

Repurposed Gen 1 leaf cells will be quite reduced in capacity by this stage in their life. The modules were originally rated at 66Ah but they'll be down to under 40Ah by now. Consider this when purchasing. You may want to purchase 10 modules and double up, making an 80Ah pack. You might also consider new LiFePO4 cells. You'll need 12 of them for a 36v setup.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 08:36 AM   #3
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

lots of 36v options... heres a 55ah pack for $200... (i'd double these up as well for more power and range.. but ive seen them use packs like this in ev car conversions.
you would very likely need to replace the bms and wiring though.. and to be honest I dont know the c rate (discharge current) of the pack (s) but this site often has good deals on different used and tested packs and cells.

https://batteryhookup.com/products/1...0-3-7v-5000mah
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 04:13 PM   #4
Jgoff72
Not Yet Wild

So take this set of cells and run it parallel with another set? Aside from AliExpress, is there any where else to get a bms?
Old 03-06-2023, 04:29 PM   #5
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Ideally you would parallel the cells first then connect them in series for a single pack/BMS but that’s not always practical. If running two seperate packs you’ll need 2 BMS’s, one for each pack.

AliExpress is the best place to source a BMS.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 04:39 PM   #6
Jgoff72
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys, back to the drawing board. I enjoy to build things and would rather build a pack then buy a drop in. I want to just build a 48v pack but don’t have the money for solid state yet.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium