lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-29-2011, 06:17 AM   #1
nick731
Getting Wild

Default Installed trojans last night Batteries not charging..... Or maybe they are?....

Hey all, I installed a set. Of trojans yesterday and. Put them on the charger. It started at or above the 20 mark and when I went to bed it was closer to fifteen. When I got. Up this morning however it was at the 20 mark again? Does this Indicate a problem? Thanks! Nick Nick 2001 club car ds 48volt
nick731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-29-2011, 07:00 AM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: Installed trojans last night Batteries not charging..... Or maybe they are?....

as long as nothing was really hot or battery juice all over the place you should be fine and as long as the time they are charging goes thats quite common.....if your charger times out at 16 hours disconnect it for a few minutes and then start charging again.......................new batteries are gonna charge long........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:34 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Installed trojans last night Batteries not charging..... Or maybe they are?....

I am more familiar with ezgo than cc but, I would be concerned if the charger was going from stage 2 back to stage 1 instead of stage 3 and done?
New batteries can charge for a very long time, especially if they have been sitting on the shelf for some time prior to installation. I would use a DVM to keep an eye on this. The on board computer is looking for a voltage reading of 58-63v to shut the charger off at.

Do you know if the cart OBC and charger worked correctly before the new batteries were installed?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:40 AM   #4
nick731
Getting Wild

thanks for the help guys. i just bought the cart and the batteries in it were weak (and one of the batteries was a 6 volt lol). so i just switched them all out with the trojans. I plugged the charger up around 5-6pm yesterday and when i got home this morning around 9-10am the charger was still on and at the 20 mark...the battery compartment was pretty warm, dont know if thats unusual though. i unplugged the charger and turned the key and pressed the gas a little bit but the cart stuttered so i switched it back off, waited a few minutes and pluged the charger back up..... it still seems strange to me that the voltage indicator on the charger would go from near 15 back to 20... what is a DVM? and what is the best way to test what the current charge level is at? i have a meter tester (DCV / ACV etc.) any more thoughts? thanks guys! love this forum! nick
Old 07-29-2011, 10:00 AM   #5
TDAWG
Gone Wild

Something is not right. It should not take this long before needle on charger starts to drop. Is it a possibility that the batteries are not wired correctly? Also what model Trojans did you put in the cart?
TDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:15 AM   #6
noserider
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick731 View Post
thanks for the help guys. i just bought the cart and the batteries in it were weak (and one of the batteries was a 6 volt lol). so i just switched them all out with the trojans. I plugged the charger up around 5-6pm yesterday and when i got home this morning around 9-10am the charger was still on and at the 20 mark...the battery compartment was pretty warm, dont know if thats unusual though. i unplugged the charger and turned the key and pressed the gas a little bit but the cart stuttered so i switched it back off, waited a few minutes and pluged the charger back up..... it still seems strange to me that the voltage indicator on the charger would go from near 15 back to 20... what is a DVM? and what is the best way to test what the current charge level is at? i have a meter tester (DCV / ACV etc.) any more thoughts? thanks guys! love this forum! nick
DVM=digital volt meter

Put a lead on #1 bat pos and a lead on #6 neg to check the entire pack voltage and then check each batt volt individually also. Read the sticky on battery charging asap. As shadow mentioned your OBC should time out and shut off at 16 hours regardless of your batt state of charge so if your batts have not reached full charge you will need to disconnect charger and reconnect to start another charge cycle. As Scotty mentioned your OBC= Onboard Computer also shuts the charger off before the 16 hr timed cycle if the state of charge reaches 58-63 volts. Mine did not shut off after 16 hrs and the OBC was bad and was replaced. Problem solved. Generally you should see a steady reduction in the charge needle on your charger so as scotty mentioned keep a watchful eye on this to make sure your batts are charging correctly. Again read the sticky to become more familar with charging. There is also a chart there that shows what all readings should be.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:18 AM   #7
noserider
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
DVM=digital volt meter
Put a lead on #1 bat pos and a lead on #6 neg to check the entire pack voltage and then check each batt volt individually also. Read the sticky on battery charging asap. As shadow mentioned your OBC should time out and shut off at 16 hours regardless of your batt state of charge so if your batts have not reached full charge you will need to disconnect charger and reconnect to start another charge cycle. As Scotty mentioned your OBC= Onboard Computer also shuts the charger off before the 16 hr timed cycle if the state of charge reaches 58-63 volts. Mine did not shut off after 16 hrs and the OBC was bad and was replaced. Problem solved. Generally you should see a steady reduction in the charge needle on your charger so as scotty mentioned keep a watchful eye on this to make sure your batts are charging correctly. Again read the sticky to become more familar with charging. There is also a chart there that shows what all readings should be.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:43 AM   #8
nick731
Getting Wild

ok thanks guys. sadly my colt meter wont reach from terminal to terminal like that lol. sounds like a need a new one, i tried testing a single bettery from terminal to terminal but my readings were off the scale......i tried measuring from where the positive and negative connect to the cart but i guess i closed the circuit and it turned off the charger.....is there a way to test for obc functionality? thanks once again, Nick
Old 07-29-2011, 10:53 AM   #9
nick731
Getting Wild

in response to tdawg the bateries are trojan t-875's and i beleive the wiring is coorect. i upgraded all the cableing with new 4g wire. thanks, Nick
Old 07-29-2011, 01:09 PM   #10
noserider
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
ok thanks guys. sadly my colt meter wont reach from terminal to terminal like that lol. sounds like a need a new one, i tried testing a single bettery from terminal to terminal but my readings were off the scale......i tried measuring from where the positive and negative connect to the cart but i guess i closed the circuit and it turned off the charger.....is there a way to test for obc functionality? thanks once again, Nick
Make sure when using your DVM to select 200 on the DCV scale when checking your pack voltage and select 20 on the DVM dial when checking each battery individually.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car