lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-23-2021, 07:45 PM   #1
elrod159@yahoo.com
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default More torque for hills

Have an 03 ezgo txt with 3 month old batteries. Just cut a cart path down a hill from house to waterfront. How much additional torque can I expect from a 500 amp Alltrax controller and HD solenoid vs my stock set up?
elrod159@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-24-2021, 12:53 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: More torque for hills

Do you mean "torque off the line" (mash the pedal from a standstill), or torque up a hill while already moving?

The torque from zero speed will be greatly increased. The torque while underway will only be increased by a lesser degree. That is limited by your motor. The electric DC motor offers max torque at lower rpms, as speed increases, its torque drops off. Is your issue of "I can't drag this thing up the hill", or is it "I'm dragging it, but I want to drag it faster"?

It's likely your motor cant "drag it faster" or not too much faster, no matter what controller you feed the motor from. Once you are above slow walking speeds, it's usually not the controller that's holding you back. Maybe on a steep boat ramp, the motor usually cant utilize more amps . Maybe in your case it can, but keep in mind that the motor can only utilize max amps low rpms, as soon as its actually spinning, it can only use less amps. A bigger controller might help you in the short term, but a better suited motor may be a better long term fix.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 11:22 AM   #3
Monstermaker
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Lower gears if you can find them, or smaller diameter tires if you have big ones now.
Monstermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 11:44 AM   #4
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Also, keep in mind the controller does not push amps to the motor. Its' more of a valve. Higher amp controllers allow the motor to suck more amps if they are capable.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 02:50 PM   #5
elrod159@yahoo.com
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm not concerned with speed. Just raw climbing power. It can be a walking pace as long as it continues to go uphill. This is mainly to transport elderly parents to and from the waterfront.
elrod159@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 04:52 PM   #6
JoeW1985
Not Yet Wild

I have the same scenario as you. I have a steep hill about 10% grade and 500 ft long. I dont care for top speed just want to have enough torque to drive up the hill with 4 persons on the cart.
Currently looking to rebuild a golf cart and planing to use the Navitas 600A controller with the 5kW motor.
Where you able to get more torque and what set up did you end up using?
JoeW1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 05:39 PM   #7
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

As mentioned above, I'd start with a lower gear set. Even a small motor can do a heck of a lot when given enough leverage.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 07:32 PM   #8
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

If your cart is currently 36 volts, increasing to 48 volts will increase both speed and torque by 33%.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 07:56 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeW1985 View Post
I have the same scenario as you. I have a steep hill about 10% grade and 500 ft long. I dont care for top speed just want to have enough torque to drive up the hill with 4 persons on the cart.
Currently looking to rebuild a golf cart and planing to use the Navitas 600A controller with the 5kW motor.
Where you able to get more torque and what set up did you end up using?
First of all, we need to know what type drive your golf cart has, series, sepex or AC.

What is year, body style and drive type of cart????? (and battery pack voltage if pre-2010)

A 50' rise for a 500' run is only a 6° incline and EZGO's max recommended incline is 14° and a stock cart ought to haul two people up that hill without much trouble, but you'll have to up the torque considerable for four people.

Stock height tires are 18" tall for most EZGO carts and you lose torque where rubber meets road if you install taller tires. See attached chart - far right column is torque loss.

The hill climbing ability of my cart is traction limited. In other words the tires lose traction before the motor comes anywhere near stalling and if I used tires with a more aggressive tread, I could climb steeper hills.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tire Height vs Speed and Torque.jpg (178.6 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO