lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-30-2021, 12:06 PM   #11
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Allied 12V x 4 problems

In reply to Lainiest question pertaining to parasitic drain. Check out this link for some battery disconnect options. https://www.summitracing.com/search?...y%20disconnect
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-16-2022, 02:00 PM   #12
Lainiest
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020is View Post
This is absolutely the post I came here looking for. I have the 60ah Lithium 12v and fortunately have not noticed much problem in range since I don't have a large neighborhood but have been noticing significant draw down when not in use which has caused my cart to shut off on me a few times recently and require me to disconnect a battery lug which I guess resets it enough I can get the cart back to my house.

I checked all 4 batteries last night after my charger cut off(Lester Summit) and they were around 13.27-13.30 right after it stopped charging. Charger has been cutting off with a error reading for a while as well. Got to be an issue with these 2 year old batteries.

Is there someone on the forums that is best to contact from Allied?
I contacted the dealer that I bought mine from.
Lainiest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 11:25 AM   #13
2020is
Not Yet Wild

I connected by email with Allied Lithium and was told that I needed to buy a balancer and the Lithium Charger. Was advised that I need to connect the batteries in parallel off the cart to balance them initially then put them back in cart with the balancer and I should be good to go. Not sure I am sold on me spending more $ to correct something that I spent good money on from the beginning but guess I will have to give it a try.

Big question to this forum: Do I need the Club Car Lithium Charger recommended by Allied Lithium or should my Lester Summit do the same thing once the balancer is installed? Probably not a huge deal as I can likely sell the Lester Summit charger if I by the new one.....just don't want to spend $ if not needed.
2020is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 05:10 PM   #14
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

You will always have balance problems with 12v batteries connected in series. I have documented why in many threads here where members have had the exact problem you have. Connecting them in parallel and fully charging them with a 12v charger every few months is the only solution to get them back into balance. I cannot comment on the balancer they want you to buy but it will only be able to do so much. The problem will continue and tend to get worse as the batteries age.

You absolutely need a lithium charger, not necessarily the Club Car one but a lithium specific charger. Using your old lead acid charger will shorten the life of the batteries and/or not get the full potential out of them. You should never use a lead acid charger with lithium….NEVER.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 08:23 AM   #15
2020is
Not Yet Wild

Has anyone else who purchased the Allied Lithium initially purchased their "balancer" and can give a report?

Thank you Pat911 for the reply, certainly leads me to think that the balancer is not going to fix my problem and that Allied should offer some type of upgrade to the more correct setup.
Old 03-02-2022, 03:04 AM   #16
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

The correct setup is a single 48v battery, not 4 x 12v batteries.

Were the Allied’s advertised as suitable for series connected, high discharge applications such as in a cart? If so then they are not performing as advertised and compensation should be made.

Many members have simply purchased 4 12v lithium batteries and put them in their cart, assuming it would work without asking questions of the retailer/supplier. In this case they are on their own.
Old 03-02-2022, 07:56 AM   #17
2020is
Not Yet Wild

I did chat at length with ACE Golf Cart Covers representative prior to purchasing and "I have dealt with this configuration and it will be absolutely fine"; "I would suggest the 60aH"; "it will last you well over 10 years and you will get more speed because you will be increasing the power and decreasing the weight"

Allied representative did offer me 30% off yesterday on upgrade to 48v and told me I would not need to change the charger which goes against the advice given here.

30% does not seem to be reasonable to me given I am only 2 years from purchase and I truly don't want to have a less than ideal setup since I purchased what I was hoping was a no maintenance and long term setup.
Old 03-02-2022, 10:59 AM   #18
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Just speaking from my expirience, not as an expert.
Allied 48v chargers are all the same, the difference is adaptation to the brand of cart.
I have the 4x12v set up with the Allied Ballancer, Allied 48v charger and the parasitic draw is still a problem even when you do a complete disconnect. So my advice is dont bother installing a separate battery diconnect.
I was advised to, Fully charge them when done using the cart then put the charger on a Timer that will run it for 15 or 20 minutes every 24 hours.
I do this all season and my batteries are always full and ready when I go to use the cart.
For winter type storage more then a month I disconnect the batteries completely. They are dead when I hook them back up hence "dont bother with additional switch".
I did not purchase the batteries new but received them second hand, thus will not have a good argument with Allied if I tried to get them replaced. They are aprox 3 or 4 years old (no date stamp). I paid so little for this set up I am not going to complain. I am ok with what I have and will buy the better suited 48v batteries when these become unusable.
Briboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 04:48 AM   #19
TNdave88
Not Yet Wild

I'm really glad I found this thread. I've been dealing with issues on my father's 2016 Precedent with 4,12v Allied Lithium batteries. Came out recently and 1 battery was 13.1v one 11.9v, one 10.7v reverse polarity and one at 230mv... And their balancer (that had made a high pitch whine from day one) had completely melted one of the capacitors inside. We had been in contact already about issues with responses the following day, but once we sent an email about their balancer failing it has been radio silence for 2 weeks and multiple emails sent... There is also a strong parasitic draw as well that was not there with with the SLA batteries. I am really starting to think they are junk.
TNdave88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 04:18 PM   #20
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNdave88 View Post
...one 10.7v reverse polarity...
Really? Are you sure about that? Also, the one at 230mV may be in protection mode and may just need a charge to get it going. Use a 12v lithium charger and it should wake it up. If it doesn't wake up instantly then there's a problem with the battery.

The reverse polarity battery, and if the one at 230mV doesn't wake up, are shot and should NEVER be used again. They are a fire hazard, and you really don't wand a lithium fire!

Tags
parasitic draw
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car