lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-16-2022, 04:58 PM   #51
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Project Precedent

Added two 9-pin waterproof connectors for the BMS leads that run to the terminals. My plan here is that:
1) It will allow me to quickly remove the batteries without having to remove all the individual leads.
2) I will make another set of ends to plug into a dedicated balancer if my BMS can’t keep the pack balanced. I could then easily plugin the balancer on a routine as necessary without having to connect up separate wires leads or remove the plexiglass cover each time I want to balance the pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UncleJerm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-18-2022, 09:23 AM   #52
dc.901
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Project Precedent

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJerm76 View Post
Added two 9-pin waterproof connectors for the BMS leads that run to the terminals. My plan here is that:
1) It will allow me to quickly remove the batteries without having to remove all the individual leads.
2) I will make another set of ends to plug into a dedicated balancer if my BMS can’t keep the pack balanced. I could then easily plugin the balancer on a routine as necessary without having to connect up separate wires leads or remove the plexiglass cover each time I want to balance the pack.
Looks absolutely incredible!
dc.901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 10:42 AM   #53
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thank you dc901. My ideas for a plexi top did not pan out. Turns out the space available between the bottom of the seat and the top of the cell studs is too small to allow any kind of cover that is stood-off from the batteries.

I went ahead and installed the battery packs & buttoned everything up. Instead of a plexi-top, I am now searching for some type of individual soft terminal covers that fit these types of cells To protect from an accidental short, if you know of anything please share, I haven’t turned up anything.

Old 01-26-2022, 09:12 AM   #54
dc.901
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJerm76 View Post
I went ahead and installed the battery packs & buttoned everything up. Instead of a plexi-top, I am now searching for some type of individual soft terminal covers that fit these types of cells To protect from an accidental short, if you know of anything please share, I haven’t turned up anything.
What if you raise the seat about an inch or 2? With some sort of frame on bottom of existing seat?
dc.901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 12:51 PM   #55
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

That would be enough, but I don’t really want to sit any higher (ie: closer to the bottom of the steering wheel). Wheel already feels lower than my DS was. But shouldn’t be a problem, I just found these on Amazon and that should protect them well from accidents.

Old 01-28-2022, 08:26 PM   #56
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Nevermind deleted
WalterM6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 10:15 AM   #57
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
…My belief, without investigating further is that it fails to count current less than 1 amp, as the app does not display currents under 1 amp. Any current under 1 amp is displayed as zero.
Hi Pat, thorough testing using a new bench top power supply shows that my Daily (the 500A model) will not measure current below 2.5a reliably out of the box. Any lower and this Daly is not very accurate measuring current. I have discovered on other forums that if you connect the Daly to PC you are able to modify additional parameters including this one. I think the lowest I’ve seen anyone report accurate measurements using the PC change is around 50mV - they said any lower and it jumps all over the place. I also appears during my searching around that different model Dalys have different minimums. Just something for you to consider - might help you in your situation. I also have a much more accurate shunt and meter that I can rely on but it would still be nice to have the BMS accurate, you even more so then me in your camper!

Old 01-30-2022, 04:58 PM   #58
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

My point exactly, thanks for reinforcing that. For me the Daly has too many limitations, hence why I’ve changed to using JBD BMS’s. I do acknowledge that Daly is the only manufacturer of off the shelf, high current (300A plus) BMS’s though.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 11:02 AM   #59
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Project Precedent

Just a quick followup... I now realize I focused on fast charging way to much, reality is I have not had a need to fast-charge one time even though I can with the 25a charger I have. The large 200ah pack capacity means I’m able to drive my cart anywhere I want all day and not worry about topping it off until I put it up for the night and go to sleep. I think if you have a small ah pack, fast charging would be far more important to you.

Charging at a low C rate seems to be the key to getting a great pack balance. I know that not everyone can (or even wants to) charge slow but right now I couldn’t be happier with this setup. Since installing the batteries I’ve recharged a few times now - and I’m happy to report everything is working flawlessly. After my last short ride I let it rest and with a maximum difference between cells of only .003, I couldn’t ask for the pack to stay any better balanced than it has been.

The maximum discharge I’ve been able to get from this stock cart has been 110a for about 1 sec after stabbing it from a dead stop with a full cart (passenger next to me and two on the back seat). This is roughy 1/6 of the maximum this battery is rated for. Cart is 100% stock with the exception of a high speed magnet. Top speed is 18.5mph, and it gets there FAST! I think right now the stock 6ga battery cables are holding me back from even better acceleration, it I won’t be upgrading those until switch to AC conversion. Maximum current at top speed varies between 30-40a. NOTE: Even after warning rear passengers to hang on, it sometimes throws them off their seat! Rear seatbelts are now mandatory and will be my next purchase. I would not recommend the speed magnet because you loose regen, but it was a very inexpensive way to get much higher top speed out of the cart.

Going from FLA to Lithium you can instantly feel the lightness and the cart is very responsive to steering input now. So far it seems Lithium really is the way to go over FLA!

I think soon I will add up everything I purchased for a total cost so that others considering DIY can decide if the savings is worth it to them over a drop-in off the shelf solution. But to me — even more than the cost savings, just the learning experience and intimately knowing my battery pack and all its components has made this 100% worth it and I would/will do this again in a heartbeat. Big thanks to everyone who has contributed their help to this point in the build!

Old 01-31-2022, 02:36 PM   #60
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Hi UncleJerm, Due to the discharge curve of LiFePO4, 3mv cell difference at 3.32v is meaningless. You really need to check the difference at 3.5v or better still, 3.6v or above. That's the real test. You may be out 100mv-200mv at that point.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
club car, daly, lifepo4, lithium, precedent
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car