lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-11-2022, 11:30 AM   #21
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: DIY Lifepo4 Daly BMS cell voltage drop issue under load

One side of the bus bar straps to the other. That way the voltage drop of the strap will change where it shows up in your BMS display. Think of each strap as a resistor even though the circuit shows it as a common point to both battery posts. The voltage drop of those straps shows up as a change in the cell voltages depending on where the BMS sense wires are connected.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-11-2022, 12:21 PM   #22
DaveTM
Gone Wild

To address the bus bars, I purchased (maybe a little overkill....but they sure work!) a "Multipurpose 110 Copper Bar, 1/8" Thick, 3/4" Wide, 2 Feet Long" from https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/127/4090 The product number is 8964K5 and you can just go to the web site and punch in that product number.

I then drilled the holes in the right place, and also drilled and tapped the holes for my BMS to hook up to.

Just an option that may work for you.

And just for kicks, I totaled up your individual cell voltages on your post. At rest the pack voltage is 53.17 and under load it's 47.477. That is a pretty steep drop of 5.693V.

Just a thought, but are your existing busbars getting warm when you do quick, multiple accelerations? Heat indicates "wasted current".
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 03:23 PM   #23
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Jumping in on this a little late but like others here, I would suspect the bus bars. Also, ensure that the connections are torqued down correctly. You'd be surprised at the voltage drop across a seemingly tight, but inadequately torqued connection.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 04:24 PM   #24
reiter284
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
To address the bus bars, I purchased (maybe a little overkill....but they sure work!) a "Multipurpose 110 Copper Bar, 1/8" Thick, 3/4" Wide, 2 Feet Long" from https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/127/4090 The product number is 8964K5 and you can just go to the web site and punch in that product number.

I then drilled the holes in the right place, and also drilled and tapped the holes for my BMS to hook up to.

Just an option that may work for you.

And just for kicks, I totaled up your individual cell voltages on your post. At rest the pack voltage is 53.17 and under load it's 47.477. That is a pretty steep drop of 5.693V.

Just a thought, but are your existing busbars getting warm when you do quick, multiple accelerations? Heat indicates "wasted current".
They don't get hot, but the severe voltage drop is only for maybe for 2-3 seconds. Just cruising flat ground at top speed the voltages hover above 3.1.

I should have ordered copper, but the aluminum flat bar is on the way and hopefully its enough. 1/4" x 1" x 2.25"

If that fixes it, I will do a write up on my build. I think I'm all in for around $1000 with batteries, BMS, charger, electrical components.
reiter284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 04:27 PM   #25
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If you have access to a good DVM, you can measure the drop across the bus bars. I once worked on electric cars that were pulling very high amps and we had to work on every connection to the old fashioned FLA batteries. (We're talking 1973)
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 04:47 PM   #26
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

One more thing if you don't mind. Could you post screen shots of the BMS settings. Also did you top balance your cells?
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 08:14 PM   #27
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

One other thing I noticed from your screen shots is that cell one is consistently the highest cell. That cell would be measured with the balance leads connected directly to it without any bus bars. Pack negative would be on its negative terminal and cell 1 lead would be on it's positive terminal.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 09:37 PM   #28
reiter284
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
One other thing I noticed from your screen shots is that cell one is consistently the highest cell. That cell would be measured with the balance leads connected directly to it without any bus bars. Pack negative would be on its negative terminal and cell 1 lead would be on it's positive terminal.
Yes, and 16-15-14-13 are doubled up busbars because I ran out of washers. 12 is always the lowest cell under load. Hopefully, the bigger busbars fix it.
Old 01-11-2022, 09:48 PM   #29
reiter284
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
One more thing if you don't mind. Could you post screen shots of the BMS settings. Also did you top balance your cells?
I lowered some of the low voltage thresholds just so it wouldn't cut off. But here are my current settings. Yes I top balanced. At rest they are really close.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg batt3.jpg (41.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg batt4.jpg (40.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-11-2022, 09:56 PM   #30
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Did these batteries ever work correctly, or did they start messing up on day one?
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car