lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-06-2021, 02:05 PM   #21
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 2010 YDRE3, No history, won't run, trouble shooting

The throttle position sensor should never fail by burning up. They might wear out over many years of service. If they are getting any overheat damage, there has to be a problem with the controller.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-06-2021, 04:16 PM   #22
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Don't know what caused the other new one to fail. Everything about the controller seems to work...but if it is pushing too much power through the TPS, figured it could burn it up. Was hoping there was a way to test, prior to just throwing parts at it. The original TPS no longer has spring return, so it likely just wore out...the recent new one seems to not change resistance as the throttle connector socket turns indicating it is bad. May have been bad new, I didn't buy it, cart owner indicated it was new, it looks new, and he was able to produce the original. I have a third, brand new, in the box TPS to install, just didn't want to waste it. I'll give it another day to see if there are any other ideas on how to test prior to putting the new one in, then I will give it a shot.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 05:58 PM   #23
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Original one may have worn out and been replaced with a Chinese E-bay part that was bad right out of the box. You could test the resistance of the new one before you ever put it on the cart. That signal from the controller is low voltage. I'm not certain off the top of my head exactly what that voltage is but probably something in the 5 to 15 or so range. The controller is reading the resistance in order to determine throttle position.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 06:21 PM   #24
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I would just write something similar, measure the resistance of the new sensor out of the cart and give it another try... Sensor should be OEM no. JW2-H5885-00.
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 07:33 PM   #25
biphase
Gone Wild

The sensors operate with 5 volt excitation from the controller. Very low current. They do not "burn up". They do tend to get contaminated with water and dirt. Sometimes simply flushing them out with contact cleaner will restore operation.
biphase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 07:06 AM   #26
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

As Biphase says, it's a 5v reference circuit, also used in cars/trucks for different sensors.

The foundational concept is simple: a 5-volt reference flows through a sensor containing a resistance that varies according to changes in temperature, pressure or position. Due to this variable resistance, the signal return voltage to the ECM is always less than the reference voltage. Unquote
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 05:19 PM   #27
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks guys, put it in this morning and it worked fine. I just didn't want to burn it up if it the controller was pushing too much current to it....All good though.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha