lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2020, 09:23 PM   #21
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Throwing code-Navitas controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford04 View Post
The Navitas rep said they couldn’t do that type of programming with that sensor.

Any other ideas or should I try the resistor trick? Or just bite the bullet and get a new controller? Navitas said it doesn’t sound like the controller is the issue.

I can test anything if you need to know values with a multimeter, just need some help with understanding what to look for.

Greatly appreciate the help this far.
I really do not like dishonesty on the part of Navitas. They know they have an issue and do not want to put forth the effort to fix the software at this point. You can use the resistor trick, but keep in mind that doing it that way can result in a cooked motor if it overheats,
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-09-2020, 07:57 AM   #22
Clifford04
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
I really do not like dishonesty on the part of Navitas. They know they have an issue and do not want to put forth the effort to fix the software at this point. You can use the resistor trick, but keep in mind that doing it that way can result in a cooked motor if it overheats,
Totally understood. Let me try sending them another note to reconfirm this

I’ve been speaking with a gentleman on a Facebook group who has been extremely helpful in helping me diagnose what’s going on-testing resistance from plugs and such to figure out if it’s the controller or motor.

I’ve got resistors coming in tomorrow so I’ll try that out and see if it works. I’m just unplugging the two-wires plug to the temp sensor and inserting the resistor in, correct? This is just a temporary solution right now.
Clifford04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:44 AM   #23
molfpedal
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
From what I’ve seen by you and about you in other posts on these forums, you are one of the most knowledgeable people on planet earth in regards to controllers and their functionality, but, what dishonesty are you referring to Bob? As far as I can tell Clifford04 has not actually tested the temp sensor or checked the wiring to see if they are good. We don’t know what the Navitas tech had him do or check. My experience with Navitas so far is that they are extremely helpful and if there is a problem with the controller they address it.
I think more information is needed before we make those type of assumptions.
molfpedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:40 AM   #24
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by molfpedal View Post
From what I’ve seen by you and about you in other posts on these forums, you are one of the most knowledgeable people on planet earth in regards to controllers and their functionality, but, what dishonesty are you referring to Bob? As far as I can tell Clifford04 has not actually tested the temp sensor or checked the wiring to see if they are good. We don’t know what the Navitas tech had him do or check. My experience with Navitas so far is that they are extremely helpful and if there is a problem with the controller they address it.
I think more information is needed before we make those type of assumptions.
The dishonesty I spoke of is telling a customer that there is nothing they can do to add a calibration routine to their software to allow Navitas customers to calibrate the motor temperature sensor to eliminate this common failure. The AC motors used in RXVs over the years have changed the thermister used. This affected Curtis controllers early on, but the Curtis controller has had a menu option for adjusting the temperature values to compensate, Navitas should have done the same, so their controller will work despite which motor is installed.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 02:43 PM   #25
molfpedal
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
The dishonesty I spoke of is telling a customer that there is nothing they can do to add a calibration routine to their software to allow Navitas customers to calibrate the motor temperature sensor to eliminate this common failure. The AC motors used in RXVs over the years have changed the thermister used. This affected Curtis controllers early on, but the Curtis controller has had a menu option for adjusting the temperature values to compensate, Navitas should have done the same, so their controller will work despite which motor is installed.
"The Navitas rep said they couldn’t do that type of programming with that sensor.”
Maybe they weren’t understanding what he was asking. Sounds like they thought he meant to program the sensor range, instead of the alarm/ shutdown settings in the controller itself. Thermisters have a fixed range so if that is what they thought he was asking then they were right. If they just didn’t want to give an option to change the temperature settings that trigger the controller actions then I agree with you.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:56 PM   #26
ls75
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
BobBoyce, that is a couple of times that you have called the Navitas reps dishonest. I wouldn't call a miscommunication between a rep and a customer dishonest, but if you feel like it is, feel free to message me and we can discuss it.
Yes, the temperature sensor can be auto-selected and will be in an upcoming firmware revision. Currently, the temperature sensor for the motor has been pre-programmed into the parameter file that gets downloaded into the controller, so it hasn't been a high priority for us.

Our reps try to help out our customers well beyond the point where we know the issue is vehicle related, not controller related.

BTW, Cliff's issue was a bad connection in the harness that supplied negative to the temperature sensor, so you were right...
Quote:
Older RXVs tend to suffer from harness and connector corrosion problems. Just changing one controller for another is not going to fix the underlying harness problem that caused the origional controller to stop working.
Though you should change that to 'Most golf carts suffer from harness and connector corrosion problems' and just leave it at that.

Leroy
Navitas Vehicle Systems
ls75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:40 PM   #27
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls75 View Post
BobBoyce, that is a couple of times that you have called the Navitas reps dishonest. I wouldn't call a miscommunication between a rep and a customer dishonest, but if you feel like it is, feel free to message me and we can discuss it.
Yes, the temperature sensor can be auto-selected and will be in an upcoming firmware revision. Currently, the temperature sensor for the motor has been pre-programmed into the parameter file that gets downloaded into the controller, so it hasn't been a high priority for us.

Our reps try to help out our customers well beyond the point where we know the issue is vehicle related, not controller related.

BTW, Cliff's issue was a bad connection in the harness that supplied negative to the temperature sensor, so you were right... Though you should change that to 'Most golf carts suffer from harness and connector corrosion problems' and just leave it at that.

Leroy
Navitas Vehicle Systems
WELCOME ABOARD LEROY! Glad to have your much needed Navitas Expertise here to go along with the other very sharp techs and engineers who post here about other brands.

I have known Leroy for 4 or 5 years now, and he and the people at Navitas (Todd, Ransom. et.al) have always been first class and very helpful (not to mention patient).

I have had very good luck with both Navitas and Curtis Controllers and I am very grateful that over the years that both Bob and Leroy have taught and helped me a lot with both controllers.

However, one thing this site has been missing is someone with in depth knowledge about the design and inner workings of the Navitas Controllers.

OOPS, I am missing the All Star Race. GO KYLE BUSCH...
rockfordpi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 06:03 PM   #28
molfpedal
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I hope Leroy (Is75) sticks around. Maybe he can answer whether Bob’s 600amp claim is true or just a ploy to keep people on the Curtis bandwagon. I switched to nNavitas because it was quicker and easier. Not to mention less money. I also like the idea of being able to change my settings when I need to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2020, 11:59 PM   #29
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
I hope Leroy (Is75) sticks around. Maybe he can answer whether Bob’s 600amp claim is true or just a ploy to keep people on the Curtis bandwagon. I switched to nNavitas because it was quicker and easier. Not to mention less money. I also like the idea of being able to change my settings when I need to.

I second your last comment. To be fair, Bob, in another post, also has had positive comments about the ease of programming of the Navitas.

As I said earlier, I have had good results with both brands, but would also like to hear Navitas take and explanation on the comparative amp rating of the two controllers.
rockfordpi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:13 AM   #30
josh843
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:

Just out of curiosity, what is the claim?

reason I'm asking is I have a 2016 RXV and on the fence of doing a navitas 600amp.
josh843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO