lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-19-2021, 11:45 AM   #1
mikedivincent
Not Yet Wild

Default Torque

Not to reopen an issue - but has anyone found settings to change that resulted in increased torque? I have a steep hill to climb, it does climb it with 2 people, but not with more than that. Even going up slow would be better than not at all. Thanks in advance.
mikedivincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-07-2021, 12:42 PM   #2
DLFalcon
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Torque

Bump

I have a 2021 i60 nonlifted 5kW

Messed with my setting and at 7000 rpm I max out at 28mph, I guess the i60L has a better top speed due to larger tires.

I attempted to put 14” wheels but they rub like hell!

I took a trip out with 6 adults, full cart, and it would not climb hills
Almost embarrassing, luckily family, but the people in back hopped out and help push it up the hill.

I’m desperate to find a setting to up the torque on hills.
My old 2014 RXV puts this new cart to shame on hills I’m quite disappointed.
DLFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 01:18 PM   #3
ATrain
Gone Wild

You may be the best candidate to experiment and find out if there's a good torque setting. I never had enough weight or a good hill that I could actually notice a difference with all of my setting changes. I also had a lot of car traffic that made it difficult to test.

If I had a steeper hill or more weight I may have been able to notice the changes.

I just parked on the hill, made a dramatic change to a setting, drove up the hill, then repeated with a dramatic change the opposite way and I tried to see if I could tell a difference.
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 06:47 AM   #4
sgremp
Not Yet Wild

I upgraded controller to navitas 600a, while there are settings in the app you can change like max rpm and what not, I left the default settings and only use the OTF programmer. We also have really steep and sometimes long hills to get up, even with 2 youn kids and my wife, total maybe ~360 lbs of passengers some hills it would only go like 6-8mph up, I figured if we ever had friends or another couple on there if it would make it up some of these hills at all…so I know the pain. I wasn’t worried about top speed just hill climbing, and I can tell you same hill after upgrading I now do 15-17mph up the same hills, and I did have another couple recently adding another estimated ~320lbs so now total of maybe around 700lbs and it still performed well up the hills getting about 14mph up, bottom line I didn’t mess with the settings on the stock 350a controller so not sure how that might help or not but the upgrade was well worth it for some peace of mind. I don’t think some people or dealers understand the hills we have they always say “we’ve never had a problem with hills around here” but when you look where they’re located they are in mostly flat areas so the only hills they likely encounter are very small compared to where we are. Probably doesn’t answer your reprogramming question but at least I can tell you upgrading controller will help.
sgremp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 09:17 AM   #5
Itp
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

torque improvement.

I test drove a 2021 i60l 4kw motor monday and while it was quick 26 mph it lacked power off the line and going up hills in the area i was test driving the cart was not good. The dealer logged into the software made some changes but the cart was basically the same. i was disappointed and thought i made a mistake selling my 7 year old ezygo rxv to buy a new icon.

the dealer offered to try to swap the 4kw motor and controller from the cart they had on hold for me for a 5kw motor and controller they had on another icon but after further inspection they said it was not feasible.

the dealer then ran a second "algorithm" aka changed software settings again and the cart was much improved. As an example on a hill that the cart could only manage 12mph previously i approached 19 mph and more importantly the cart was able to slowly increase speed while goin up the hill. Additionally the cart accelerated off the line much better. I asked the dealer which lines of settings he changed and he would only say he ran an algorithm to change everything.

from my personal experience the software settings can make a huge difference.

cart should be delivered to its new home within a couple of hours.
Itp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 11:59 AM   #6
bmcwhirt
Not Yet Wild

I know from experience that Line #49 - Acc Rate Fwd will affect the power off the line. I lowered mine from 7.5 to 6.0 and you can tell a difference. I haven't tried to mess with any of the other torque settings to see I can improve the high speed torque for hills and such.
bmcwhirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 12:26 PM   #7
Itp
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcwhirt View Post
I know from experience that Line #49 - Acc Rate Fwd will affect the power off the line. I lowered mine from 7.5 to 6.0 and you can tell a difference. I haven't tried to mess with any of the other torque settings to see I can improve the high speed torque for hills and such.
I believe I'm down to around .05....went from 6 to 2...then down again. When I want to go I want to go 😄
Itp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 07:51 AM   #8
LakewayIcon
Not Yet Wild

Going to be testing the theory in the next few days, but my guess about the hills is that the torque is reduced so much at higher PRMs. Again this is my guess, but it seems that on lines 138-148 it is reducing slow speed torque of 200 down to only 25 when you are at high speed. So when they carts are doing 15 MPH the torque is slashed and there is no power to get up the hill. If anyone has any experience with 138-148 settings, I would love to hear them.
LakewayIcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:52 PM   #9
jeffahfah
Getting Wild

not so much you can do to have torque at high RPMs other than get a stronger motor. You can give tweaks that may help in certain situations but wont be the silver bullet for everything.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...rque-instantly

"As the motor revs increase, however, it also creates what's called "back electromotive force" or "back EMF." The faster the motor spins, the more back EMF is created, reducing the effective voltage it can deliver. "
jeffahfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 12:20 PM   #10
mikedivincent
Not Yet Wild

I was more inquiring about low rpm torque - just needing to climb a hill
mikedivincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon