lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-06-2021, 04:43 PM   #1
nmusti
Not Yet Wild

Default Load Testing 1998 Club Car DS

Hi all!

Details: I have a 98 Club Car DS with 6 x 8v batteries, 1 dated 4/17, 4 dated 6/18 and 1 2/19. I bought it used so have no clue how well the batteries were taken care but several cells were low on water when I got it home.

We keep it at our vacation condo so it gets used on the weekends and sits most of the week. A couple weeks ago we were out riding the neighborhood with 4 passengers roughly about 1 mile and we went from full speed to about 1/4 speed in a matter of seconds. Continued to limp along as best we could till it finally gave out.

Charger will not drop to 0 DC amp, gets to about 4. I'm assuming a bad battery but all read within range when charged so next step is a load test.

We live in an area that's flat, no hills so when I do the load test, how long am I driving at full speed? 10-15 seconds?

I will post results here when done.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
nmusti is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-06-2021, 06:24 PM   #2
Scott quail
Gone Wild

Default Re: Load Testing 1998 Club Car DS

If your charger isnt turning off then its likely a bad battery or a few of them. Mixed batteries are ALWAYS an issue. What happens is your good batteries try to compensate for the bad ones and they in turn have horrible life span. Id suggest a whole new set entirely. If you just add another new battery or 2 those will be bad in a year or less.
Scott quail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 08:40 PM   #3
gyroman
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
how long am I driving at full speed? 10-15 seconds?

Flat is fine, what you're doing is clipping your meter leads on the main + and - then floor it. Note the lowest reading it goes to before it levels off at top speed and then the top speed reading. Then do the same for each individual battery and post those results.
gyroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 12:35 PM   #4
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

I use a simple $25-$35 load tester like in the photo. It's a lot safer and pretty quick to determine which battery is having issues. And you can throw it in the back of the car and take to the condo when you go or pick up there.

Like Scott and Gyroman (now I'm hungry for the county fair so I can get a gyro...) said you're gonna be looking at batteries most likely, and definitely want a whole set. Never mix and match. But maybe you can sell the 2018's (if those are good) on craigslist if someone needs trolling motor batteries, might get more than the $10 core.
Tech Support is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts