lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-24-2021, 10:21 AM   #11
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: New G1 Ignition Coil Ground question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennbamaman View Post
As an update; I finally have fire and after squirting premix gas straight into plug hole, engine runs very strong. Not very funny then but very funny now is how the cart took off instantly like a rocket. I knew it was direct drive but it had not been moving while it was turning over so i figured the belt was wore or clutch needed hep.

The problem with the firing was the previous owner had it grounding to the screw going into the motor which was grounding frame. If i touched meter probe to to incoming positive at the ignition and touched the black lead to either pedal and or other things it registered 12 volts just like i had touched it to the negative battery terminal. Once i hooked ground from coil straight into the black harness lead, presto. Spark plug fired great.
Again, Thanks to AGELE55 for his great help and knowledge.

I was so eager last night i pulled carb and had it perfectly clean and ready to go back together and i lost the small internal jet that screws into top side of stem inside carb. Bummer, i really wanted to keep the original carb on there. I know the china ones are cheap but i wanted the Mikuni
can you post a photo of what your talking about (area where it came from) I probably have one
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-24-2021, 12:43 PM   #12
tennbamaman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Thanks so much but i called a local shop and they give me a couple to try. After looking at the diagram, it was actually the main jet. The two they give me both fit. one has a little larger hole than the other. I can barely make out letters but the repair manual states that factory main jet is a #97.5 I cant find any numbers like that on either. Im going to try the one that has just a slightly larger hole.
tennbamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 08:46 AM   #13
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
As an update; I finally have fire and after squirting premix gas straight into plug hole, engine runs very strong. Not very funny then but very funny now is how the cart took off instantly like a rocket. I knew it was direct drive but it had not been moving while it was turning over so i figured the belt was wore or clutch needed hep.

The problem with the firing was the previous owner had it grounding to the screw going into the motor which was grounding frame. If i touched meter probe to to incoming positive at the ignition and touched the black lead to either pedal and or other things it registered 12 volts just like i had touched it to the negative battery terminal. Once i hooked ground from coil straight into the black harness lead, presto. Spark plug fired great.
Again, Thanks to AGELE55 for his great help and knowledge.

I was so eager last night i pulled carb and had it perfectly clean and ready to go back together and i lost the small internal jet that screws into top side of stem inside carb. Bummer, i really wanted to keep the original carb on there. I know the china ones are cheap but i wanted the Mikuni
Lol…I wish you had a video of that cart taking off…lol
Sounds like you’re closing in on a test drive pretty soon, once you cure your jet issue. Good luck!
AGELE55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 07:56 AM   #14
tennbamaman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

LOL, for sure on the video. That would have been a hoot.
Here is an update. I installed the cleaned original carb with the larger jet. Cleaned all old gas out of tank. put fresh gas in premixed with oil as i have no knowledge if oil pump works or not. Put new in line gas filter on. It has an electric fuel pump. I primed the fuel line till gas was coming out. Installed gas line to carb but i did not install little oil line . The throttle and choke cables are trash. i have ordered new ones.
It started and ran. It seemed very strong. I never could really get it to idle and or run exactly right but it would start easily with choke each time. I was working choke and throttle with my hand as cables are no good. I will try the new china carb when it arrives in the next day or so.
Question, it appears all works well with engine turning over and with fire. I was under the impression that when you let off the pedal it would go dead. Is that right? Mine would not go dead until i turned the key off. How is it supposed to work?
Old 09-27-2021, 08:09 AM   #15
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

sounds like the cart is in "maintenance mode" this is in motion when the black wire with white stripe is disconnected at the CDI, i do think this wire also goes down to the pedal switch and could be disconnected there as well.
Old 09-27-2021, 08:11 AM   #16
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Here is an update. I installed the cleaned original carb with the larger jet. Cleaned all old gas out of tank. put fresh gas in premixed with oil as i have no knowledge if oil pump works or not. Put new in line gas filter on. It has an electric fuel pump. I primed the fuel line till gas was coming out. Installed gas line to carb but i did not install little oil line . The throttle and choke cables are trash. i have ordered new ones.
It started and ran. It seemed very strong. I never could really get it to idle and or run exactly right but it would start easily with choke each time. I was working choke and throttle with my hand as cables are no good. I will try the new china carb when it arrives in the next day or so.
Question, it appears all works well with engine turning over and with fire. I was under the impression that when you let off the pedal it would go dead. Is that right? Mine would not go dead until i turned the key off. How is it supposed to work?
i would highly recommend taking out the electric pump and getting another pulse pump. I personally recommend the OE pump put alot of people here have had good luck with briggs pulse pump as they are alot cheaper.

electric pumps mask things like bad crank seals.
Old 09-27-2021, 10:12 AM   #17
tennbamaman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Thanks, I will consider this. I have seen this discussed back and forth on other threads. I will try the new china carb when it gets in. I have performed leak down tests on my old 50 year old yamaha enduro motorcycle and identified bad seals in it in the past.
I carb i cleaned should have worked great but as stated earlier i lost the origianl main jet and tried one i got from local shop. he give me two and i used the one with larger ID opening lol. My book calls for #97.5 but i could not read numbers on the ones i got from him
Old 09-27-2021, 12:03 PM   #18
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Not sure what you mean when you say it's not going dead.? The engine should stop running with pedal release, and restart via the solenoids with pedal pressed. If you're talking about spark only, then either the ignition switch OFF position, or pedal release will connect the B/W wire to chassis ground and inhibit spark.
Old 09-27-2021, 12:43 PM   #19
tennbamaman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

what i mean by not going dead is that the engine continues to run when i'm not pressing the pedal and it is in the released state. It works out pretty good right now since i have no working cables and im working choke and throttle with my hands.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:00 AM   #20
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Back from my world travels…
Ok, let’s figure this one out. When you say it keeps running, how did it start running? Ie: You approach the cart, turn the key to FWD, press the pedal, and it starts, as it should? But when you release the pedal it keeps spinning?
Now, if this is the case, when you release the pedal, the two sets of contacts in the pedal switch each move, One set opens to remove the 12v from the ignition switch. The other set closes to apply a ground to the B/W wire, killing the spark.
If, when you release the pedal, the motor is spinning, I would assume it is the starter generator spinning and not the engine running, because it has no gas via the gas pedal linkage supplying gas to the carb, and the B/W got grounded to kill spark. Remember the cart leaving when you finally got spark…lol? Then again, you said your throttle cables are afu , so maybe you are also getting gas?
At any rate, if it’s spinning the Starter/generator (S/G) is probably getting voltage to run, coming through the solenoids.
Let’s stop here so you can tell me if my understanding of the issue is correct.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha