lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-29-2015, 11:10 PM   #1
codetoad
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default New US Battery voltage low. Charger? Something else?

I recently picked up a 2011 48v EZGO that came with 2015 batteries. US 8VGC XC2 to be specific. I'm trying to wrap my head around the voltage and SoC, and I'm stumped.

The cart came with a Quiq charger by Delta-q. The model I have is factory set to profile #38 and can't be changed (so I'm told by Delta-q support).

After a charge is complete and the cart has sat for ~12 hours, I am getting around 50.0V to 50.2V. This seemed low, so I picked up a hydrometer and checked each cell, they all read just about 0.1275. This seems normal, but the voltage seems low?

Could it be the charger, or could there be something else going on, or is this normal and everything is cool?
codetoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-30-2015, 02:05 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: New US Battery voltage low. Charger? Something else?

First, every "ezgo delivered" Quiq charger i have changed modes on worked fine. I must add that you need to know it has 10 "memory spots" to download modes to, but come with only one installed, a dealer equipped to add more can add more. The "user changeable" modes are limited to whats currently installed until more are added.

Second, i think that voltage and SG are both a little low for US brand batteries.

I dont have my profile list at home, and dont remember what mode #38 is...
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:47 AM   #3
rib33024

Member cartattach also a sponsor here at BGW, posted he is a USD, US battery Dealer, maybe he can help you out with this problem your having

Here is part of a Quote from another thread, about the us batteries and chargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartattach View Post
As far as requiring a different charger, I've never changed a charger to go with a US Battery and they have always functioned correctly.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ml#post1212483
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:37 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

It has been established by the us battery website that they do have requirements for voltage & charge criteria that must be met by a charger that is to be used on us batteries. I know this because i also found it myself when ezgo started using us batteries in our carts. I will go with the requirements outlined by the people who made the battery, rather than an "i've never heard of that, so i dont do it" opinion.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:30 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by codetoad View Post
<snip>
After a charge is complete and the cart has sat for ~12 hours, I am getting around 50.0V to 50.2V. This seemed low, so I picked up a hydrometer and checked each cell, they all read just about 0.1275. This seems normal, but the voltage seems low?

Could it be the charger, or could there be something else going on, or is this normal and everything is cool?
A SG of 0.1275 would be a gas lighter than Helium (0.130), but heavier the Hydrogen (0.070), but I suspect that was a typo.

Is the SG of 1.275 temperature corrected to 80°F? (Need to subtract 0.004 for each 10°F below 80°F)

The voltage (50.0-50.2) indicates a charge of 78% to 83%, but not getting a repeatable voltage indicates the voltmeter might not be working properly. (Try replacing the battery in Voltmeter)

Need to verify Hydrometer and Voltmeter readings are correct, as well as verifying charger is set to correct algorithm.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 12:03 PM   #6
cartattach
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
Member cartattach also a sponsor here at BGW, posted he is a USD, US battery Dealer, maybe he can help you out with this problem your having
Here is part of a Quote from another thread, about the us batteries and chargers
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ml#post1212483
Thanks for the plug

And as for the particular charger, I have not seen those very often and thus am not well versed in their specific operation or modes beyond basic function. As to the charge, we have been having this discussion on another thread and are not yet done....awaiting my US rep to stop by and have this discussion more in depth and dive into the alleged top end lack of charge. Personally I have not experienced it, and my US delivery guy whom is an 8 year veteran of the company has not experienced it with anyone on his routes.

As to "my opinion" of your current charge, 50.2 volts or 8.36V each, you are within acceptable full charge range. People here tend to be a little over zealous as to that chart and it's readings, again in my opinion, mainly because the average voltmeter is going to have an accuracy rate of +-1%. If we make the assumption that your meter is within the 1% variance, the you could be reading .5V low and the actual reading may be 50.8 which would be in the 95%+ range. I personally use the ExTech EX330 meter, and the manual states DC voltage from 4V to 400V is +-1% reading plus 2 digits. Reading various trade articles on the accuracy of standard consumer use multimeters reveals that the accuracy ranges are from +-3% on old analog style meters to .5% on higher end digital meters, and .1% on extremely high end commercial and laboratory type meters. I don't consider a $300 Fluke meter to be standard consumer use.....most people have a $20-$50 meter they bought at Walmart or the hardware store that sits around in a drawer for years until suddenly being brought into use for a project before returning to said drawer for another year.

So the bottom line on all that is that you are fine and there is no need to read any deeper into it unless you develop an issue. When I charge the carts I work on or have for sale, 50V is my target voltage for a 48V cart, and I look for 38 on the 36V cart. Looking for more begins to split hairs
cartattach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 12:12 PM   #7
codetoad
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
A SG of 0.1275 would be a gas lighter than Helium (0.130), but heavier the Hydrogen (0.070), but I suspect that was a typo.

Is the SG of 1.275 temperature corrected to 80°F? (Need to subtract 0.004 for each 10°F below 80°F)

The voltage (50.0-50.2) indicates a charge of 78% to 83%, but not getting a repeatable voltage indicates the voltmeter might not be working properly. (Try replacing the battery in Voltmeter)

Need to verify Hydrometer and Voltmeter readings are correct, as well as verifying charger is set to correct algorithm.
Ha, yeah... SG typo for sure, sorry about that!

I believe the SG is temperature corrected,
this is the one I picked up this is the one I picked up
and it says it handles it, although it was about 80 outside anyway.

As for the voltage, I should have been more clear. I've tried charging and waiting multiple times and the results are between 50.0V and 50.2V, but they are consistent each charge, they don't jump around. I checked my multimeter against a neighbor's analog one and it was about the same, hard to tell on the analogue deal. I'll change the batteries in mine, can't hurt. Thanks for the help so far guys!
Old 10-30-2015, 12:42 PM   #8
codetoad
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartattach View Post
So the bottom line on all that is that you are fine and there is no need to read any deeper into it unless you develop an issue. When I charge the carts I work on or have for sale, 50V is my target voltage for a 48V cart, and I look for 38 on the 36V cart. Looking for more begins to split hairs
Thanks for the feedback!
Old 10-31-2015, 03:18 PM   #9
cartattach
Gone Wild
Club Car

Anytime. I will add that JohnnieB is probably one of the smartest electrical guys I have ever dealt with and his knowledge is far more in depth than mine. You can't go wrong following his advice
cartattach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:27 PM   #10
codetoad
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Updating this thread in case it comes up in a search.

I went ahead and got a DPI Accusense charger, and that solved the problem. After the surface charge wore off it was sitting right around 51V. Much better!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO