lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-03-2015, 01:43 PM   #1
marlin035
Not Yet Wild

Default Another 36v to 48v question.....

Looking to tap into the "gurus" knowledge here on BGW....searched and read until I have thoroughly confused myself...

Have a 2009 PDS 36v(6x6), 23" tires, 6" lift. Newly acquired cart to me, but the PO installed an Alltrax 400, 2 gauge wires, and an upgraded solenoid to offset the larger tires. Batteries are Trojan T-105, May/15 build date....I am not as much concerned with speed or torque increase as I am with run time.....need some additional distance to get around town and at the beach.

My plan is to add two additional 6v T-105 batteries in the bag well, continue to use the 36v power meter, leaving it attached to only 6 batteries, and pick up a new 48v charger.

My unknowns are:

Not sure of the type or style of solenoid that has been installed(was done at the same time as the Alltrax 400 was installed) and no real distinct markings on it, do I need to replace the solenoid?

Charging port should be the same, just add the 2 additional batteries in the loop?

Does the Alltrax 400 need to be reprogrammed for the additional 12v?

Anything else I am missing or are there any other recommendations to go ahead and do while I am doing this? I would like to go ahead and do this right the first time instead of half stepping things....

Thanks in advance for all your help....constantly amazed at the wealth of knowledge shared around here!
marlin035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-03-2015, 02:38 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Another 36v to 48v question.....

hmmm. just how much running the roads do you do in your normal day?? I mean I too am on 23" tires....and although mine is 500 amp, we don't pull that much amps....and I'm still running 36V, and have a range between 25-30 miles.

well to answer your questions.....
1. It all depends on the actual solenoid as to whether or not it is rated for 48v....we would need to know the model number to know. maybe attach a pic?
2. You can get a 48V DPI charger from Scotty (cartsunlimited.net) with the same charging port.
3. Which model Controller is it?
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 02:51 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Picture of the controller and solenoid would help.

Do you have an Alltrax DCX400 or an XCT400?

In either case, it'll need to be re-programmed for 48V.

Unless the PO installed a Super-Duty solenoid, you will have to replace it because 36V solenoids tend to smoke when connected to a 48V battery pack.

The best bang for the buck in 48V chargers is the DPI Accusense: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/48v_Battery_Charger.html

Using the 36V charger plug will work.

It would be better to get a 48V battery meter and best to get a DVM type battery meter.

Going from 6x6V to 8x6V will increase your range by about 33%, so you'll get about 1.3 miles for every mile you are getting now.

What kind of range are you getting now?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:44 PM   #4
marlin035
Not Yet Wild

Controller is a DCX400. I am still playing with the skinny pedal trying to figure out the most efficient cruising speed. I would conservatively guess 12-15 miles max currently at half throttle. Will try to snap a pic of the solenoid when I am by the cart next time.

Is reprogramming the controller something I can do with a computer and a USB cord or did I misunderstand??
Old 11-03-2015, 05:55 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin035 View Post
Controller is a DCX400. I am still playing with the skinny pedal trying to figure out the most efficient cruising speed. I would conservatively guess 12-15 miles max currently at half throttle. Will try to snap a pic of the solenoid when I am by the cart next time.

Is reprogramming the controller something I can do with a computer and a USB cord or did I misunderstand??

The factory default program for this control allows it to operate in a range from 36 to 48 volts. It's safe to say that you could try the control on 48 V without fear of hurting anything. However if someone has set the upper limit low you may find it cutting out or shutting down at higher voltages.

Reprogramming is a fairly simple job intended for the do-it-yourselfer. The program software is a free download from Alltrax Inc.com and communication is via a USB to serial cable.
If you are fairly handy you can wire the solenoid so it continues to see 36 V on the activation circuit while passing 48 volts through the high amperage contact.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:26 PM   #6
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
If you are fairly handy you can wire the solenoid so it continues to see 36 V on the activation circuit while passing 48 volts through the high amperage contact.
Hey, I resemble that remark.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:56 PM   #7
marlin035
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
hmmm. just how much running the roads do you do in your normal day?? I mean I too am on 23" tires....and although mine is 500 amp, we don't pull that much amps....and I'm still running 36V, and have a range between 25-30 miles.

well to answer your questions.....
1. It all depends on the actual solenoid as to whether or not it is rated for 48v....we would need to know the model number to know. maybe attach a pic?
2. You can get a 48V DPI charger from Scotty (cartsunlimited.net) with the same charging port.
3. Which model Controller is it?
If I could get that much mileage out of mine that would be great. I see you have upgraded your motor....is it THAT much more efficient or do I have something else robbing me of mileage?
Old 11-03-2015, 08:37 PM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin035 View Post
If I could get that much mileage out of mine that would be great. I see you have upgraded your motor....is it THAT much more efficient or do I have something else robbing me of mileage?
it is NOT more efficient.....its a high speed motor.....and I have and do run it wide open a LOT!

I do have batteries that have a little higher AH rating than yours though, but not that much more. yours are 225, mine are 232.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:50 AM   #9
marlin035
Not Yet Wild

Finally got back to the cart to check out the solenoid.....currently it has a solenoid that has "MZJ-200D" on it. Is this solenoid compatible with the 48v upgrade? If not, what do y'all recommend to go on top of the Alltrax DCX Controller?

I have a picture available if that is not enough information....

Thanks fellas for your help! I can tell that this is going become an "obsessive" hobby!
Old 11-12-2015, 09:56 AM   #10
marlin035
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
it is NOT more efficient.....its a high speed motor.....and I have and do run it wide open a LOT!

I do have batteries that have a little higher AH rating than yours though, but not that much more. yours are 225, mine are 232.
I guess I need to figure out how to keep my foot out of it if I am cruising for distance.....

Wish there was a way for the simple minded folks(i.e. MYSELF) to know what the best cruise speed/RPM is for battery life....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO