lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-21-2015, 07:16 PM   #1
codetoad
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Alltrax XCT & wet conditions

I understand that the Alltrax XTC controllers don't use the stock controller weather cover so they don't overheat. Does anyone have any experience with their XTC controllers in wet conditions?

I don't plan to forge any rivers or anything crazy, but if I get caught in the rain or splash through some puddles, would that be a problem?

I searched the Alltrax website and here and couldn't find any mention of water, but generally electronics + water = bad.
codetoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-22-2015, 10:26 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Alltrax XTC & wet conditions

I don't drive my cart in the rain, but that's to keep me dry rather than my XCT controller.

The XCT is filled with a potting compound, so it is fairly impervious to moisture, but the external connections aren't, so splashing water on it isn't a good idea.

Actually, getting the ITS sensor inside the non-sealed pedal box wet, or the inline cable connector between the pedal box and controller wet, will most likely put you into the walking mode before getting the XCT wet will.

When I take my cart out after a heavy rain, I avoid puddles when possible and drive through them slowly when I cannot.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:59 AM   #3
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by codetoad View Post
I understand that the Alltrax XTC controllers don't use the stock controller weather cover so they don't overheat. Does anyone have any experience with their XTC controllers in wet conditions?

I don't plan to forge any rivers or anything crazy, but if I get caught in the rain or splash through some puddles, would that be a problem?

I searched the Alltrax website and here and couldn't find any mention of water, but generally electronics + water = bad.
Not sure about the XCT, but here is the SPM. The XCT is the next step up from the SPM

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 12:15 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The XCT and the SPM share similar physical construction when it comes to moisture resistance.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 01:13 PM   #5
DaveTM
Gone Wild

If my TXT were afraid of water.....I could never go out. I go where gas carts are frady cats. Actually, I do go out in the rain, through rain puddles, mud high weeds when they are wet from dew or rain. I do have times when the ITS will give me a few "fits" but I have yet to be stopped cold. I've been running like this for 8 years now.

I ain't no scardy cat.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 11:54 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
If my TXT were afraid of water.....I could never go out. I go where gas carts are frady cats. Actually, I do go out in the rain, through rain puddles, mud high weeds when they are wet from dew or rain. I do have times when the ITS will give me a few "fits" but I have yet to be stopped cold. I've been running like this for 8 years now.

I ain't no scardy cat.
I like your answer the best yet, but if you try that with a Marathon (and its completely exposed throttle), you might get "full throttle in the rain".
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:37 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Alltrax XCT & wet conditions

I doubt if a golf cart can be turned into an amphibious vehicle, but you can take some preventive measures to make most of them less vulnerable to moisture.

Use dielectric grease on all the plugs and jacks. (Which is different than the stuff you use on the high current cable connections)

I use this non-conductive stuff for control wire connections:
http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-22058-Dielectric-Tune-Up-Grease/dp/B000AL8VD2 http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-22058-Dielectric-Tune-Up-Grease/dp/B000AL8VD2

And I use this conductive stuff for high current cable connections:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HSW341A/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687742&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000YD0O5Y&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=13V508QY7SGGTANPCMCY http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HSW341A/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687742&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000YD0O5Y&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=13V508QY7SGGTANPCMCY

-------------
In addition to what cgtech said about Marathons, the ITS sensor used in Medalists and later, become more susceptible to moisture as they get older.

When new, the epoxy filler ITS senor is fairly air and water tight, but as it ages the potting compound shrinks and cracks develop and moisture as well as damp air can get into the electronics inside the ITS sensor and wreak havoc.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:43 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

All said and done, normal wet weather use or maintenance rinsing of batteries is not a problem for the Alltrax controls.
As mentioned there are other drive system components likely to fail first in excessively wet exposures.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 11:56 AM   #9
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Hey JohnnieB....thanks for the link to the NO OX cable connection "stuff." I've tried some other "stuff" on my battery terminals recommended by electrictions and they stated that I should not get the "green acid build up" on my terminals during my re-charges.....but alas.....I still get these on my positive terminals. Gheeeeez.

Well, I'm going to order that "stuff" you linked to and slather it on and see how it does. I figure it can't be any worse.

Right?
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 12:38 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I warm the tube of No-OX-ID A-Special in hot water to thin it and then paint a thin coat of it on all battery terminal and cable lug (ring connector) surfaces with a short bristled brush (Acid brush for soldering actually) before connecting the cables and then another coat on all the exposed surfaces after the cables are on.

It has been several months since I used it and I haven't seen anything growing on the terminals, but I don't play in the mud either.

-------
BTW: Clean all the old goop and corrosion off first. Wire brush or sand everything to bright metal before applying.

Last edited by JohnnieB; 12-26-2015 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: added info
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO