lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-18-2016, 03:42 PM   #1
Ecosset4
Not Yet Wild

Default Batttery cycling

So here is a unique one!

I have a fleet of 14 buggies that were bought to service our companies requirement. However much if this requirement is not now but in years 2 3 and 4 they will come into play.

So I have lots of buggies but only using 4 of the right now.

I have opted to rotate the buggies round every 4 months so that the wear and tear on the buggies is gradual rather than 4 buggies getting hammered, new ones come out and then everyone uses the new ones!

However that is not the question - BATTERIES. I have opted to shelve the batteries of 10 of the 14 buggies and just keep 4 sets of batteries in cycle. i.e. each of the 4 buggies batteries are whipped out and put in the 4 buggies that will be coming into service.

Reason was to avoid using batteries for 4 months then not use them at all for 8+ months thus ruining them etc.

Am I going mad or is this a good course of practice. Would be interested to hear what ya all think.

Ecosset4
Ecosset4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-18-2016, 04:04 PM   #2
270Handiman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Batttery cycling

How are you planning to charge the shelved batteries?
270Handiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:54 AM   #3
Ecosset4
Not Yet Wild

I wasn't as they have never been used, but really I am looking for the best line of advice here.

The weather gets up to 50 degrees int eh summer. I have the batteries shelved and in a AC unit so should be OK but I hear so much about battery memory and these first early charges being crucial I wanted some advice.

There is a bit of me thinking - BU$$ER it and just leave them in!

What would you do if you were me?

EcosseT4
Old 03-28-2016, 07:41 AM   #4
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Battery cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecosset4 View Post
I wasn't as they have never been used, but really I am looking for the best line of advice here.

The weather gets up to 50 degrees int eh summer. I have the batteries shelved and in a AC unit so should be OK but I hear so much about battery memory and these first early charges being crucial I wanted some advice.

There is a bit of me thinking - BU$$ER it and just leave them in!
ANY battery with acid installed that is not hooked up to a float charger is a battery that is dieing a slow death... 2ndly where do you hear about battery memory? Lead acid batteries are NOT subject to memory as some specialty batteries are...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 02:15 AM   #5
Ecosset4
Not Yet Wild

I had only heard about memory cruising around the net. From this discussion I will just keep the batteries in the buggies and bring them out from time to time, it's the best I can do sadly.

The staff will love it as changing the batteries is a pain in the tits.

Cheers for the input guys.

Ecosse
Old 04-07-2016, 06:30 PM   #6
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
The weather gets up to 50 degrees int eh summer
The way I see it your biggest problem is going to be keeping them from freezing in the winter. Where are you located if I may ask?
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:41 PM   #7
DKRgoods
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

One thing to remember about batteries is that they are always in a state of discharge. Most Golf carts today have a charger where when the batteries get to a certain level they turn on to bring the batteries back up to full charge than turn off. Some chargers even have a smart chip in them like this one. https://www.golfcartgarage.com/club-...ester-48v-13a/ that keep them at peak all the time.

I betcha if you check your chargers you will see that they can be plugged in all the time and not overcharge the batteries. Then all you really need to do is about every third week check on the golf carts and make sure there is plenty of water in the batteries.

Here is my setup if interested....
I use this one http://shop.saveabattery.com/48-VOLT...48-2365-48.htm on mine because I never have to worry about a quick charge. If I do... I just disconnect the "Save a Battery" and use the one with the cart. I can re-charge quick with the one that came with the cart as the other takes roughly three days to get to a full charge from 30% dis-chargered. I got the "Save a Battery" because.... my golf cart sits 6 months out of the year, I can plug it in anywhere I need and it is mounted under my seat.

Later...
DKRgoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car