lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-19-2018, 10:35 PM   #1
jb2c
Not Yet Wild

Default Battery meters

I had planned to install a battery meter. But in talking with the guy at the cart shop today, he said they were not accurate at all. For example, he said it could read 50%, but you'd actually be very close to dead. He also said to just put some black tape over the amber battery warning light. He said it was very close to completely useless.

I don't need dead nuts accurate. But it would be nice to know if it's getting low and time to head for the charger. Are some better than others? Is the analog 'always on' type better/more accurate than the LED's? Is there a particular model that is popular on here? Or one that is best for the money spent?
jb2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-19-2018, 11:18 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Battery meters

If you are running the OBC, there is a few things helpful with the amber light, but that's for another day (night)

If you want a great SOC meter, go here http://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-meters.html and tell your buddy at the shop they are exactly accurate....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:22 AM   #3
jb2c
Not Yet Wild

Just ordered. Thank you.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:38 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The old LED bar style meters have a fatal flaw in so much as they simply reset each time the charger was plugged in which assumed the batteries were healthy and the charger completed it's task. But in the case of older batteries and failing chargers, the bar meter read 100% at far less than that level. Case in point, an older cart I had years ago that kept running out of power while the bar meter read 100% led me to search for a true voltmeter I could apply to a golf cart. Once I learned the voltage value for full and empty - it became very easy to know exactly how fuel was left in the tank. The picture below shows the bar meter reading full and the digital voltmeter showing it is time to recharge.... We send this info with each meter we sell
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Digital meter vs bar graph.JPG (47.9 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:30 PM   #5
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

easy to read the digital meters and know the % charge (pic from scottyb)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 48volt battery chart.jpg (100.2 KB, 0 views)
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:55 PM   #6
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Another thing you need to do is find a measuring hill. Determine how low your voltage drops while driving up the hill and make a mental note. The time will come when your cart just isn't doing right for one reason or another. Then somebody might advise you to do a load test on your batteries. Then all you have to do is drive up your measuring hill and compare your voltage drop to the one you made a mental note of. If it is like 5 or 6 volts different then you know it's your batteries. A volt or two difference can be caused by temp differences.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:30 PM   #7
jb2c
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Walter. I'll print this out and keep it with the cart paperwork. I have a hill that is about a 22d grade, but only around 15 yards long. Is that good enough for the voltage to drop?

Speaking of which... what do you do if you are out and about and the cart dies. Due to a problem, or you plain forgot to charge it up enough before you left for your 'short' trip. Do they have towing coverage for golf carts?? We have to have liability insurance in my town. So seems like I should be able to get towing coverage on it too, just like my car.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:29 PM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb2c View Post
Speaking of which... what do you do if you are out and about and the cart dies. Due to a problem, or you plain forgot to charge it up enough before you left for your 'short' trip.
If you want it (batteries) to last, you will never have that problem as you always use the P&P (Park&Plug) mentality. Meaning if it is parked, it is plugged in. You also never want to take the SOC (State of Charge) below 50% anymore often then you have too. Then monthly check your water levels, fill them with distilled water to between 1/4" and 1/2" above the plates, and then wash off the battery tops with baking soda and water. This is a must to achieve a long battery life and minimize corrosion.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:41 PM   #9
jb2c
Not Yet Wild

Thanks 4Ever.

How much baking soda do I mix with the water for cleaning?
Old 05-21-2018, 06:26 AM   #10
handtools
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

This should answer your question about cleaning your batteries.

Baking soda mixture.jpg

Battery acid neutralizing.jpg
handtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car