lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-07-2018, 12:09 PM   #21
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: XCT300 on IQ, stuttering during regen and not faster than stock

Maybe it's a simple thing like doing the "Auto-cal" for your throttle.
WalterM6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-07-2018, 05:17 PM   #22
sonofagunn
Getting Wild
Club Car

Just did some more testing. I lowered the regen amps (both settings) to 34 and coming off the pedal isn't so harsh anymore, but I can still feel some jerkiness - the jerks just aren't as strong. It is also jerky during partial throttle acceleration or trying to maintain anything less than full throttle.

I noticed, in the monitor screen, that battery current and motor current fluctuate wildly between 20 and 80 amps (never see more than that). RPMs never got up to 4000, GPS speed maxed out at 16, which might be 2 mph faster than before I installed the Alltrax.

The motor or controller makes a whine/hum noise for a few seconds after coming to a stop until the solenoid clicks off. Is this normal with an Alltrax? It didn't happen before with the Curtis.

I installed the controller because I caused sparks between some posts on the motor and fried the original controller. Is it possible I also damaged the motor or solenoid?
sonofagunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:26 PM   #23
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Your settings are OK, make sure you do the test drive for the sensor output pole count or at least do a push test to verify the sensor is working.

As far as Regenerative brake, it uses the battery as a load and places energy back into the batteries.

Since the "roll away" brake works with the key OFF (no solenoid engaged), it cannot use Regen brake and instead it is using Dynamic brake and the heat generated by the brake action is dissipated between the Motor and Controller.

The Controller uses a modified version of PWM to control the Regen current, it has a similar current multiplier concept as to when using PWM to drive the Motor.

Basically set the "Max Regen Battery Amps" to be the amount of braking force You want to feel when driving at high speed and release the pedal.

You can then increase the "Max Regen Armature Amps" above that current level to provide more brake force to when the cart is at a lower speed and coming to a stop.

How fast the Regen Brake force intensifies is also controlled by the "Throttle Rate", so if You increase that it will also affect the Regen "brake" action.

Edit: Looks like You posted as I was typing.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:29 PM   #24
sonofagunn
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Your settings are OK, make sure you do the test drive for the sensor output pole count or at least do a push test to verify the sensor is working.
Does seeing 16 mph (stock tires) while the Alltrax software shows ~3900 rpms verify that the speed sensor is working correctly and set to the correct number of poles?
Old 10-07-2018, 05:39 PM   #25
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunn View Post
Does seeing 16 mph (stock tires) while the Alltrax software shows ~3900 rpms verify that the speed sensor is working correctly and set to the correct number of poles?
Yep, 3900 rpm with stock height tires is right around 17mph.

Was the throttle input also fluctuating during the time the current fluctuated, how about the battery voltage levels?

Make sure the new ring connectors You had to add to the F1 and F2 wires are making good connection and nothing is getting hot.

The buzzing sound is probably the Controller keeping the Field coils powered to provide Dynamic brake.

It may be easier to log a file so we can see that the different inputs and outputs are doing when the cart gets hits the upper limit.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:08 PM   #26
sonofagunn
Getting Wild
Club Car

Full-Throttle1.txtI made a short log, had to rename it with a .txt extension to upload it here.

Here were the observations I made during some tests:

Battery voltage very stable. Motor voltage, battery current, and motor current were all fluctuating, especially during periods of jerkiness. And then a big clue - the "Field Open Alarm" turned on briefly during a couple of these partial-throttle jerkiness episodes. So I'm off to check the connections on the controller and motor.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:13 PM   #27
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Watch your right foot during these periods of jerkiness. Is it bouncing up and down with bumps in the road?
WalterM6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:31 PM   #28
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunn View Post
Attachment 176297I made a short log, had to rename it with a .txt extension to upload it here.

Here were the observations I made during some tests:

Battery voltage very stable. Motor voltage, battery current, and motor current were all fluctuating, especially during periods of jerkiness. And then a big clue - the "Field Open Alarm" turned on briefly during a couple of these partial-throttle jerkiness episodes. So I'm off to check the connections on the controller and motor.
The log indicates your Motor is unable to develop torque, hopefully is just a loose Field wire as the Field current should have been a lot higher at that lower RPM.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:52 PM   #29
1sharphook

Sergio, I see his throttle percentage is all over the map (for about 10 seconds) on the way to 100%. Does this suggest a bad throttle signal?
Old 10-07-2018, 06:59 PM   #30
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

It looks like he was getting out of the garage or driveway since the pedal switch goes OFF.

Once the cart is at Full Throttle it is pretty consistent, the only anomaly is that the Field Current is very Low and the Armature current is way too high for that low RPM.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car